SASS Wire Forum

Tumbler getting hot

The bottom of the tumbler here gets really, really hot to the touch after about an hour of running it. Is this normal ? I never noticed this with the last one I had.

It's the steel plate on the bottom that you can hardly touch! Is this something I should be concerned about?

IMG_2936.jpg

IMG_2937.jpg

Yes, heat is something to be concerned with. Heat (and improper voltage) is a motor's worst enemy. The motor needs air to cool it. Do not place the tumbler in carpet, or the like, as air needs to pass under the base to somewhat circulate the air. Always run the tumbler in a solid concrete base, if possible. Many tumblers also have a fan blade attached to it, make sure that the blade is in good condition and is turning with the motor. You can also use a separate fan that blows on the motor from one side. Make sure that there is no dust. spiderweb build up under the tumbler that may restrict airflow.

Motors can get hot enough to start a fire if they are near something flammable like a wood floor, paper, ect. Normally, there is thermal overload protection on most motors that shut off the motor is it experiences excess heat. I would think that your motor has this protection but can't say for sure.

I would contact Dillon on Tuesday to ask them about it. Even though they have a (somewhat new) non-replacement policy on electronic items, they may be able to help with it or maybe even possibly replace the motor.

That tumbler is the same one I had. And the motor got hot and it died. They do have a replacement motor, but that unit is no longer available and I don’t think they warranty it any more. 

13 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

Yes, heat is something to be concerned with. Heat (and improper voltage) is a motor's worst enemy. The motor needs air to cool it. Do not place the tumbler in carpet, or the like, as air needs to pass under the base to somewhat circulate the air. Always run the tumbler in a solid concrete base, if possible. Many tumblers also have a fan blade attached to it, make sure that the blade is in good condition and is turning with the motor. You can also use a separate fan that blows on the motor from one side. Make sure that there is no dust. spiderweb build up under the tumbler that may restrict airflow.

Motors can get hot enough to start a fire if they are near something flammable like a wood floor, paper, ect. Normally, there is thermal overload protection on most motors that shut off the motor is it experiences excess heat. I would think that your motor has this protection but can't say for sure.

I would contact Dillon on Tuesday to ask them about it. Even though they have a (somewhat new) non-replacement policy on electronic items, they may be able to help with it or maybe even possibly replace the motor.

5 minutes ago, Texas Joker said:

892880863_5deb25c9869c39d68e49e26c0fd2716f147e26013227a900c54c94bd5568aa93_12.thumb.jpg.3132176a995d3fa9b4d3b1ba17b6e543.jpg

Well there's yer problem!

I think I’m just going to buy a new one. I’m not messing around with a new motor, thanks for the advice and info!

Motors have a rated temperature rise. They are expected to increase in temperature. I couldn't say if your motor is heating beyond what it is rated for. Like others have said, a fan can help keep it cooler. I don't see any browning of the label on the motor so my guess is that it's within spec. Most smaller motors that have failed will show browning of the paint and stick-on label.

6 hours ago, Bad Bascomb, SASS # 47,494 said:

:ph34r:  

Could that steel plate be there as a heat sink?

I’ve been using it for about  a year and it’s never got this hot before. It’s a used one I got from a friend. It’s about 15 yrs old. It was free! He said he never had that problem in all the years he was using it so I suspect something is wrong.

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

@Rye Miles #13621 I see you mentioned ordering a new unit on another thread. Which one did you get? Just curious as mine is pretty old. 

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2124213148?pid=587176&utm_medium=email&utm_source=service&utm_campaign=order-confirmation&utm_content=product-description-link

22 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Please let us know how you like that one. I was considering that one myself. 

I have a big Dillon I got used many years ago. It runs hot, too. Now you have me wondering about a possible fire........ I let it run in the garage when I'm in the house.

9 minutes ago, Go West said:

I have a big Dillon I got used many years ago. It runs hot, too. Now you have me wondering about a possible fire........ I let it run in the garage when I'm in the house.

Mine got hot then finally it ran but with not enough force to vibrate the drum. It never felt like it was going to flame up though. 

It still works great and has more capacity than another tumbler I have. I guess I'll cross my fingers since I must have gotten it 15 years or more ago.

I noticed also that after an hour some of the brass turned BLACK and I shoot smokeyless!!

Personally, I would not use the thing, but if you do, you might try  smaller loads of brass and run it for several shorter periods with cool down between.  I'd make sure it was on concrete and not near anything flammable.  I might even run it in the driveway!  Good luck with it! 

3 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Please let us know how you like that one. I was considering that one myself. 

I've been using one for about 8 years now. Works fine. Holds about 200 45C at a time. I use corn cob with polish and run for 1  1/2 hours. I do prewash and dry the brass.

2 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I noticed also that after an hour some of the brass turned BLACK and I shoot smokeyless!!

I thought maybe I could clean my primers and see if they would pop like corn. :D

On 5/29/2022 at 9:33 AM, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I think I’m just going to buy a new one. I’m not messing around with a new motor, thanks for the advice and info!

The motors are of a propritary design and getting a replacement is impossible.  

On 5/30/2022 at 5:21 AM, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I’ve been using it for about  a year and it’s never got this hot before. It’s a used one I got from a friend. It’s about 15 yrs old. It was free! He said he never had that problem in all the years he was using it so I suspect something is wrong.

You might extend its life by accessing the motor shaft bushings and applying a light machine oil. But in the long run it is going to fail.

13 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

You might extend its life by accessing the motor shaft bushings and applying a light machine oil. But in the long run it is going to fail.

I tossed it! I ordered a new one.

Archived