SASS Wire Forum

Locked threads

Captain Bill Burt

31 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Would it be possible to back off just a bit on locking threads? 

If a rule hasn’t been broken why lock them? Just bored and looking for something to do?

Is there a cost to leaving them open?

Maybe it has something to do with how much storage this forum has ? The posts that get 5-6 pages sometimes say the same thing over and over, ya know the "beating a dead horse thingy"?

Why delete threads that warn of scams or theft in the Classifieds? Tennessee Williams got taken and his warning thread got deleted. Seems like the neighborly thing to do is let others know when there is a thief or scammer lurking in the Classifieds.

7 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Maybe it has something to do with how much storage this forum has ? The posts that get 5-6 pages sometimes say the same thing over and over, ya know the "beating a dead horse thingy"?

Storage space is super cheap.  It ain't that.

4 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

Why delete threads that warn of scams or theft in the Classifieds? Tennessee Williams got taken and his warning thread got deleted. Seems like the neighborly thing to do is let others know when there is a thief or scammer lurking in the Classifieds.

By a Georgia shooter no less. Fortunately TW texted me the persons alias. Luckily texts are still relatively free

Well if the admins started using blue Loctite instead of red Loctite it'd be a little easier back off the thread locking! B)

Kajun

1 hour ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

By a Georgia shooter no less. Fortunately TW texted me the persons alias. Luckily texts are still relatively free

Bill, tried sending you a PM, says you can't receive PM's.

4 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

It may take less than a page or two for topics to get hijacked.

Capt. BB,

ya gotta pay the Moderator the right amount to keep em open.

Example:  $5 will keep it open long enough to tell a big lie about TN Williams.

BUT, if you tell a big lie about 'ME', ya gotta pay em $10.

Its just that simple..... :lol:

P.S. - The 'scammer' that TN dealt with should be made publicly known to all of us because he used a SASS alias and other previous SASS credentials

to pull off the Scam.    Luckily, it appears the Postal Service intervened in time to prevent any loss of funds, but as of today, that has yet to

show back up for TN.

..........Widder

3 hours ago, Nickel City Dude said:

I got take a wile back and my post with the details of the deal was deleted even though I did not state the name of the seller.  and I suspect that this post will also be deleted.

You were notified regarding the reason for deleting the details of that purchase.

PW

I know that me and all the others on this board appreciate all the time you volunteer to put into moderating this board.  I did look at the rules but could not find a restriction on complaining about buying a gun that was defective.  If I missed it please show me where it is.

10 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

Because saying anything negative goes against SASS policy!

28 minutes ago, Nickel City Dude said:

PW

I know that me and all the others on this board appreciate all the time you volunteer to put into moderating this board.  I did look at the rules but could not find a restriction on complaining about buying a gun that was defective.  If I missed it please show me where it is.

You were informed via PM regarding the Wire guidelines and the reasons your posts were either edited or deleted.

I suggest you RE-READ that message (which included explanations from two Moderators).

To me there should be some kind of happy medium with complaints. There were 5 or 6 SASS guys that we know of that were "taken" by this individual's hacked account. 

In this case, a warning left up on the classifieds would have saved several individuals some heartache and money. Right or wrong I'm no judge and someone may have made a comment on my warning post that warranted it being deleted. I do know of one shooter I am glad seen my post as he was in the process of sending a second check to the hacker's partner. 

Having been a Mod and Admin on other firearms forums, I can tell you that it is a job that is a royal pain. This is by far the best forum I have ever seen [firearms related]. Yes, there are times when i wonder why a post was locked or deleted [this hasn't happened to me yet], but I would be far less patient than many are at some folks who just WON'T accept that they are wrong, when shown the rules, or when they want their way for rules to be re-written, etc. Go to Arfcom or Gunworld and see what absolute rudeness and nastiness can be unloaded.

I have an extensive file of response memes that I was warned to NOT POST by a previous Wire Admin. :ph34r:

This is one of the "less controversial" ones ;)

17x.jpg

The other mod must not of had a sense of humor. But then again most mods don't. Being a admin mod on a facebook sell page I just don't let the stupid bother me. But I'm also not cryptic with answers. If you don't have a sense of humor no sense being a mod.

4 hours ago, Tell Sackett SASS 18436 said:

Because saying anything negative goes against SASS policy!

So you just let a scammer skate then so more members can get taken. Doesn't sound liek the cowboy way to me.

Too many cowpokes take the word of the first poster as fact then try and convict and hang the accused who wasn't given the opportunity to defend themselves. 

57 minutes ago, Matthew Duncan said:

Too many cowpokes take the word of the first poster as fact then try and convict and hang the accused who wasn't given the opportunity to defend themselves. 

See this is the reason I said there should be a happy medium. There's a difference in a spat between 2 SASS pards and a hacker trying to steal money from any and all of us he can. The 2 SASS pards can work it out themselves. If not, word will either get around that one of them sold something that wasn't as advertised or the buyer is a mind changer.

However, with the case of the scammer, it doesn't matter if his account was locked at some point. He still had pards emails who contacted him wanting to buy something. With no warning thread, those pards don't know his account is locked and continue to "deal" with him. We know of 6, how many is there we don't know about that are getting ready to send him a check when the post office opens up tomorrow?

The funny or frustrating thing is some here think they are going to swoop in on a great deal before anyone else, despite the fact the seller have not been vetted or are a SASS member. I don't know if they have the Care Bear/Barney I love you, you love me and think all is safe as long as it is on the Wire attitude, or they are greedy and want to snatch up a "deal" because if they don't jump now, someone else will attitude.

3 hours ago, Cholla said:

The funny or frustrating thing is some here think they are going to swoop in on a great deal before anyone else, despite the fact the seller have not been vetted or are a SASS member. I don't know if they have the Care Bear/Barney I love you, you love me and think all is safe as long as it is on the Wire attitude, or they are greedy and want to snatch up a "deal" because if they don't jump now, someone else will attitude.

With regards to mine, it was a reply to an ad I put in the classifieds looking for a Kimber Rapide 9mm. I got a reply from "a SASS member" with a number lower than mine. They were pretty slick. I did see the post you're referring to but I wasn't interested. Double action Colt cylinders turn the wrong way for me.  :ph34r:

46 minutes ago, Tennessee williams said:

With regards to mine, it was a reply to an ad I put in the classifieds looking for a Kimber Rapide 9mm. I got a reply from "a SASS member" with a number lower than mine. They were pretty slick. I did see the post you're referring to but I wasn't interested. Double action Colt cylinders turn the wrong way for me.  :ph34r:

Sadly, the scam pulled on you is common on FB and many other forums. Scammers watch like vultures waiting for a WTB post. I hope you get all your funds back.

The posts I am referring to are those by non-SASS members or those that claim to be former SASS members and just want to unload their guns at bargain-basement prices. They post in violation of the Wire requirements, people point it out that they can't post unless they are a member, and others still ignore the red flags and offer to buy the guns. The same has happened on another forum. There will be threads where a scammer is called out and folks still try and buy the fictitious guns. I seriously don't understand their thought process.

Another way to put a road block in front of scammers it to require a piece of paper with the date and alias of the seller in the photos of the gun. Even that isn't full proof for some because it can be photoshopped in.

Google can be one of our best defenses. Google image search can be used to see if the images sent by a potential scammer were found elsewhere on the 'net. The same can be done with their description. Scammers most likely have no idea what it is they claim to be selling and will copy a description from another forum or website. A search for the exact description will often turn up the original ad.

Requiring a minimum amount of posts (50) before gaining access to the classifieds would help thin the scammers.

It is frustrating and we should have a way to vet sellers. I only see this getting worse.

5 minutes ago, Cholla said:

Sadly, the scam pulled on you is common on FB and many other forums. Scammers watch like vultures waiting for a WTB post. I hope you get all your funds back.

The posts I am referring to are those by non-SASS members or those that claim to be former SASS members and just want to unload their guns at bargain-basement prices. They post in violation of the Wire requirements, people point it out that they can't post unless they are a member, and others still ignore the red flags and offer to buy the guns. The same has happened on another forum. There will be threads where a scammer is called out and folks still try and buy the fictitious guns. I seriously don't understand their thought process.

Another way to put a road block in front of scammers it to require a piece of paper with the date and alias of the seller in the photos of the gun. Even that isn't full proof for some because it can be photoshopped in.

Google can be one of our best defenses. Google image search can be used to see if the images sent by a potential scammer were found elsewhere on the 'net. The same can be done with their description. Scammers most likely have no idea what it is they claim to be selling and will copy a description from another forum or website. A search for the exact description will often turn up the original ad.

Requiring a minimum amount of posts (50) before gaining access to the classifieds would help thin the scammers.

It is frustrating and we should have a way to vet sellers. I only see this getting worse.

Yep, I did the whole Google image search too. Nada. It sucked.

4 minutes ago, Tennessee williams said:

Yep, I did the whole Google image search too. Nada. It sucked.

Sometimes I hit gold. Sometimes I don't. Sometimes I have searched, found nothing, and someone else searches and comes back with a match. I have no idea how that works. My google-fu must come and go with the weather.

22 hours ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

I have an extensive file of response memes that I was warned to NOT POST by a previous Wire Admin. :ph34r:

This is one of the "less controversial" ones ;)

17x.jpg

This one should absolutely allowed!

It is not unusual for a forum moderator (either here.. or on other non-SASS related forums) to rule with a heavy hand.

The power goes to their heads.

* Hey ELIPHALET, my feelings ain't butt hurt.. just stating the obvious. So educate you?  What have you done to me that has demonstrated that any of y'all are on such a power trip that my feelings have been trampled on?  You'd be glad to fix it for me? Step up to the bar and ask for a double. Ya certainly need it. :wacko:

Overall though, I think our Moderators do a decent job. Especially for the high rate of pay they get.:lol: I'd sure hate to do it.

20 minutes ago, Tequila Tony said:

It is not unusual for a forum moderator (either here.. or on other non-SASS related forums) to rule with a heavy hand.

The power goes to their heads.

image.jpeg

Archived