SASS Wire Forum

Catchup

Subdeacon Joe

3 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Joe, how old is that?  I just donated a 12 volume 1975 vintage set to our local senior center and your looks much, much older.

580728991_IMG_20220527_2102173562.thumb.jpg.fd9845f36e18a4aaeee7db0778dc68d1.jpg

That edition is 1942, 1944.  

I found, rescued, it from a bin of newspaper that was out for recycling about 20 years ago.

I remember, in MEET ME IN ST LOUIS scene at the beginning where they were making ketchup.

I was probably around 14 the first time I saw that movie, and it shocked me. Before that I had never considered that people made ketchup in their home. You bought it at the store. :P

Interesting. I made this post about 4 hours ago, but kind of forgot to push the little blue submit button.

9 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Mine had a very old recipe for mushroom catchup.  I regret not having tried it.

https://foragerchef.com/wild-mushroom-ketchup/

Wild Mushroom Ketchup

A classic condiment made from mushrooms. Makes about 4 cups.

Prep Time30 mins
Cook Time1 hr
Infusing Time1 d

Course: Snack
Cuisine: American, British
Keyword: Black Trumpet Mushrooms, Condiments, Mushroom Ketchup

Equipment

• Large stock pot
  • Cheesecloth or strainer

Ingredients

• 3-5 lbs wild or cultivated mushrooms, depending on availability trim, woody ends, etc.
  • 85 grams roughly 6 tablespoons kosher salt
  • 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
  • Up to 2 qts water amounts of natural water in mushrooms will vary
  • 2 Tablespoons minced garlic
  • 2 fresh bay leaves
  • 1 Tablespoons allspice berries toasted
  • 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh ginger
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 10 whole cloves toasted
  • 2 Tbsp worchesterchire, or to taste optional, for color
  • 1 cups apple cider vinegar

Instructions

• Crush or chop the allspice and cloves. Pulse the mushrooms in a food processor, being very careful to coarsely pulse them in small batches, as over-processing will give a cloudy sauce.
  • Combine the ground mushrooms with the salt and remaining ingredients except the water in a stock pot.
  • Assess the amount of liquid, adding some of the water to moisten until the mixture is wet and slushy (dryer mushroom like polypores may take up to 1 qt of water, where boletes and cultivated mushrooms might take half that) Transfer the pot to a burner and bring to a boil, then turn off the heat and leave overnight to cool and infuse.
  • The next day, put the mushrooms and the liquid into a strainer lined with cheesecloth and allow to drain (you may need to work in batches. After the liquid has drained, squeeze the cheesecloth with a few handfuls of mushroom at a time to extract as much liquid as possible.
  •  
    Reduce the liquid until roughly 4 cups remain (oruntil you like the flavor, it should taste a bit like light soy) then pour intoa labeled container, chill and refrigerate until needed.

• The ketchup will keep for a long time.

One of the most absolutely foul things imaginable is prison hootch made from ketchup. Gads, that stuff STINKS!

:o DeaconKC :wacko:

A DOUBLE PLUS ONE and a bunch.  You can smell that stuff clear down to the far end of the Tier.  Absolutely horrible.  Stuff permeates so much often have to shake two or three cells to find it.  Icky Foo.

Have you seen the tomatoes used for commercially preparing  catchup? Here in the San Joaquin Valley we see them by the truckload.  They're small, solid and very green-- weeks short of ripeness.  They are machine picked and so must be picked when green and quite firm.  Lots of artificial red coloring and long pressure cooking makes them look like what we expect to see in the bottle.  

I've never had home-made catchup, but I bet it's much tastier and sweeter, being made from fully ripe tomato fruit.  The above recipe that uses apples definitely looks worth a try.  

Being very alkaline, a quick caution about Botulism is in order for those preparing their own.

8 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

I've never had home-made catchup, but I bet it's much tastier and sweeter, being made from fully ripe tomato fruit.  The above recipe that uses apples definitely looks worth a try.  

Make your own and make it as sweet, tart, savory, or spicy as you want.  It is a different critter than the commercial stuff.  I haven't made my own, but have had catsup that others have made.  It takes some getting used to.  Some of the popularity of the commercial stuff, I think, is that it's a taste of childhood.

On 5/28/2022 at 7:44 AM, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Catchup is something you do when you're behind.

Yes. Got pulled out on a road March by my drill Sgt for some malfunction. 
He gave me several minutes of calisthenics to get my mind right. 
ending with a rapid,

Idiot!
On your back!

On your belly!

On your feet!

On your belly

Get up!

Get back down!

On your feet!

NOW CATCHUP!!!

THE COMPANY WAS OF COURSE ABOUT A HALF MILE AWAY BY NOW. :lol:

That would kill me today.