SASS Wire Forum

Speaking of movies you can’t not watch…

Scrolling the channels after the ballgame was rained out and….

Refilled my glass and settled down in the recliner! :FlagAm:

BA00F704-F430-4129-AD74-F9723C966A0F.jpeg

1 hour ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

Is he smoking a joint? Was this one of those Reefer Madness sort of movies, only aimed at new recruits?

Have you never seen the movie??

On the Gregory Peck theme: The Gunfighter. Slow and building with great supporting cast. Makes me stop what I’m doing!

3CF6AE6A-4EFB-45B8-AC0B-9C3CEC87ECAF.jpeg

14 hours ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

Is he smoking a joint? Was this one of those Reefer Madness sort of movies, only aimed at new recruits?

Watching Casablanca last night, one thing I really noticed:  the HEAVY tobacco smoking.
This was how it was in that time period, and why so many of them died from cancer.

1 hour ago, bgavin said:

Watching Casablanca last night, one thing I really noticed:  the HEAVY tobacco smoking.
This was how it was in that time period, and why so many of them died from cancer.

Unfiltered Camels and Lucky Strikes. 

4 hours ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

I have not. 

If you are into classic WWII flying stories, especially about 8th AF, you must watch this one!  Another, absolute MUST, is "Strategic Air Command" with Jimmy Stewart. Beautiful photography! (B-36 and B-47) And June Allyson ain't bad either.  If you are into Strategic Air Command stuff, "A Gathering of Eagles", starring Rock Hudson (yeah, is about a B-52 outfit that flunks its Operational Readiness Inspection (ORI) and has a new commander take over and kick butts! This thing is almost straight out of SAC Manual 35-99!  I wasn't in bombers, but I do know about ORI's! Those things used to cause more deaths among wing CO's than enemy action!  (Col. John Carrol, CO, 341 Strategic Missile Wing, Malmstrom AFB, MT,, 1966. RIP after his third heart attack! :( )

On 5/27/2022 at 11:56 PM, Mezcal Charlie said:

On the Gregory Peck theme: The Gunfighter. Slow and building with great supporting cast. Makes me stop what I’m doing!

3CF6AE6A-4EFB-45B8-AC0B-9C3CEC87ECAF.jpeg

Great movie!!!! The only thing that bothered me was the Sheriff who was a friend of Jimmy Ringo didn’t carry a gun yet he was portrayed as a tough guy. Gimme a break!

Tombstone is another one, I have the dvd but if it comes on I'll watch it!

7 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Great movie!!!! The only thing that bothered me was the Sheriff who was a friend of Jimmy Ringo didn’t carry a gun yet he was portrayed as a tough guy. Gimme a break!

An early Andy Griffith. I think the point of of his not carrying is that the world of the Wild West/gunfighters is passing and Ringo is an anachronism. His way is dying, foreshadowing  his own end. 

1 hour ago, Mezcal Charlie said:

An early Andy Griffith. I think the point of of his not carrying is that the world of the Wild West/gunfighters is passing and Ringo is an anachronism. His way is dying, foreshadowing  his own end. 

I don’t buy it, the age of the gunfighter ending never stopped sheriffs, Marshals, Rangers and police from not carrying a gun. Pure Hollywood nonsense! 
How about the smart aleck that came after Ringo or the three guys after him. The Sheriff gives his deputy a shotgun to go protect Ringo but he didn’t carry! Crazy!

1 minute ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I don’t buy it, the age of the gunfighter ending never stopped sheriffs, Marshals, Rangers and police from not carrying a gun. Pure Hollywood nonsense! 
How about the smart aleck that came after Ringo or the three guys after him. The Sheriff gives his deputy a shotgun to go protect Ringo but he didn’t carry! Crazy!

He assumed he was bullet proof. ;)

Why is everyone saying that he was unarmed?

Uncle Charlie might not have been wearing a belt gun, but who's to say there's not a shoulder holster under that frock coat?

bfb0b52850ae694d27134574c9051f51.jpg

Jimmy wore one.

73ed5ed65b25a342f7f79c980ae15d1a--wester

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

73ed5ed65b25a342f7f79c980ae15d1a--wester

Hell, even I could shoot the gun out of his hand at that range! :P

Watch this.

i was goin ta mention that but you beat me to it , most folks rolled their own back then , unless it was a ceegar and they were pretty crude roll too 

Archived