SASS Wire Forum

Decorations

As we do on every Memorial Day weekend, the members of my VFW post put flags on each veteran’s grave in the Dove Creek cemetery. We also have two vets funerals to do this weekend on Saturday and Sunday, and then the Memorial Day ceremony on Monday.
Duty. Honor. Country. :FlagAm:

https://www.cem.va.gov/history/memdayorder.asp

E8FA1E91-3177-4A5F-8CCD-1F900207701C.jpeg

D6A0B694-D814-47FC-BDAB-847177CF60ED.jpeg

it always amazes me how many there are to be remembered and im only visiting a couple town cemeteries , i can  only imagine if i were to visit major military sites , we may try to get to the cities for a visit to my FILs grave  at ft snelling  , that will be close as i get to a big one , 

I hope to visit the American Cemetery in Normandy before I die.

13 hours ago, watab kid said:

i came back to add - not decorations , honors 

Yes indeed. It was initially called Decoration Day.

“The 30th day of May, 1868 is designated for the purpose of strewing with flowers or otherwise decorating the graves of comrades who died in defense of their country during the late rebellion, and whose bodies now lie in almost every city, village, and hamlet churchyard in the land. In this observance no form or ceremony is prescribed, but posts and comrades will in their own way arrange such fitting services and testimonials of respect as circumstances may permit.”

General John Logan, Grand Army of the Republic

im understanding that better now , noble thinking at the time , thanks , wish we all still thought that way , i for one still honor the dead from both sides but im not seeing americans being inclusive of all americans anymore , in fact 100 years later the treatment was worse but ill not rub salt in the wounds of the dead , 

Reading books since, well forever on the trenches in France in WWI to D-Day, Saipain, New Guinea, Okinawa, Guadalcanal, Tarawa. Midway, Coral Sea et al

...................the greatest generation :FlagAm:

Lest We Forget

Archived