SASS Wire Forum

SNAKE!!!

I had a garter snake on my patio today.

I'd let my 11-pound Yorkie, Sally (aka Killer), go out back with me.   As I was putting the pipe smoking stuff on the patio table, Sally, standing well back, started angrily barking at a snake.  I ordered Sally back in the house, which she obeyed immediately.  I went back out and identified that the snake was a garter snake, about three feet long.  I grabbed it by the neck and body and dropped it on the other side of the back fence through the vertical grates just above the two-foot snake wire.  I made the dumb mistake of dropping the head first while still holding the body.  The snake bit me on the thumb.  Left a mark.  First time I've been bit by a snake.  Poor snake handling on my part!

Sally has had snake aversion training.

Bite marks on upper thumb and knuckle. 

fwh2Ox.jpg

The back fence from an earlier photo. 

n7DyEw.jpg

If ya’ ain’t had a tetanus shot in a while, it might be a good time to do so.

18 minutes ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

I'd let my 11-pound Yorkie, Sally (aka Killer), go out back with me.   As I was putting the pipe smoking stuff on the patio table, Sally, standing well back, started angrily barking at a snake.  I ordered Sally back in the house, which she obeyed immediately.  I went back out and identified that the snake was a garter snake, about three feet long.  I grabbed it by the neck and body and dropped it on the other side of the back fence through the vertical grates just above the two-foot snake wire.  I made the dumb mistake of dropping the head first while still holding the body.  The snake bit me on the thumb.  Left a mark.  First time I've been bit by a snake.  Poor snake handling on my part!

fwh2Ox.jpg

n7DyEw.jpg

Have you thought about snake aversion Training for yourself?

I have been bitten by black snakes but never a garter snake. 

Dodged bites from copperheads, moccasins and rattlers when I was younger.

Birdgun, I would take  @Blackwater 53393advice. Just to be safe. 

Got bit by a garter snake one of my cousins caught.  On the hand, bled to beat the band.  I was young, I was untrained in how to hold them.
In junior college I got bit by a guys boa, forget the variety.  It was crawling up my arm and across my head.  No problem.  Then one loop of its body slipped down and started pushing the frame of my glasses into my nose.  Without thinking I reached up and pushed the loop up to the top of my head.  Must have startled the snake because it struck my hand. Again, blood all over and took a while to stop.   

I don’t kill snakes unless I absolutely have to. Snakes eat rats and other vermin. I especially leave all non-poisonous alone. 

3 hours ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

The snake bit me on the thumb.  Left a mark.  First time I've been bit by a snake.  

Poor snake.  How long did it take before the snake died?

4 hours ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Have you thought about snake aversion Training for yourself?

I read your post to my wife and she asked be to tell you that she couldn't agree with you more!

@Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663,

I find it fascinating that, so far four (4) pards (including myself) have liked your post. ;)

Not sure if it's because you got bit :o, or for your pic of the backyard. :D

9 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Birdgun,

If you had 'hummingbird' thumbs, you could have avoided that bite..... :lol:

..........Widder

I've heard of hitchhiker thumb

5019095_orig.thumb.png.c5ad0f7723f70de1d84d24802a46c7b5.png

But never hummingbird.

What are hummingbird thumbs?

well I got bit by a baby squirrel and had to get a tetanus shot. the squirrel now has a large family and just dug up and ate the Caladium bulbs my wife  planted

15 hours ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

fwh2Ox.jpg

n7DyEw.jpg

Does the snake wire work fairly well?  New puppy coming soon and I have to shoot a Rattler near the house once in a while.  If it seems to work, I'll wire the puppy paddock we just built.

3 hours ago, Rip Snorter said:

Does the snake wire work fairly well?  New puppy coming soon and I have to shoot a Rattler near the house once in a while.  If it seems to work, I'll wire the puppy paddock we just built.

The snake wire works well.  I have it along the bottom of the back fence and along the bottom of the side gate.  For the life of me, I can’t find a place where the garter snake got in.  Must of had a key!

8 hours ago, Alpo said:

Guys that can shoot Gunfighter REALLY FAST apparently have them…

I do not. ;)

Ah. Thumbs that can move really fast, and therefore could have gotten out of the way of the snake bite. B)

I thought it was going to be a description of the shape of the thumb, like the picture of hitchhiker's thumb I posted, and I just could not visualize it.

Poisonous snakes around here are the reason there is a 38 loaded with snake shot on top of the fridge.

On 5/28/2022 at 5:00 AM, Alpo said:

I've heard of hitchhiker thumb

5019095_orig.thumb.png.c5ad0f7723f70de1d84d24802a46c7b5.png

But never hummingbird.

there was a movie that demonstrated that very thing but the girls exposed leg got the ride ..........just sayin , 

Saw blue racers, hognose and a water snake this weekend. All alive to tell their buddies how bad they creeped out the wife.

6 hours ago, watab kid said:

there was a movie that demonstrated that very thing but the girls exposed leg got the ride ..........just sayin , 

Claudette's leg worked better than Clark's thumb.

1096738140_ClaudetteColbertItHappenedOneNight1.jpg.cb74189366a33be68b7b5aff17f1347d.jpg

There's this movie called Little Miss Millions. Jennifer Love Hewitt is the 12 or so year old extremely rich girl who has run away from home, and Howard Hessman is the bounty hunter who's been hired to fetch her back. At one point they are walking along the road hitchhiking, and nobody is stopping, and she wants to know what he's doing with his thumb. He explains it that the universal symbol that "I want a ride". She says he's going about it the wrong way. You need to do a symbol that says, "I need a ride".

So she stands in the middle of the road I want toAND WHEN A car starts coming, she starts crying.

Screenshot_20220531-210305.thumb.png.10f59157ebbecdde1a94582af3994166.png

And the oncoming vehicle immediately screeches to a halt.

Screenshot_20220531-210711.thumb.png.f357dfd8eef3260a8f2a901add997c84.png

See that's how you do it.

If I stand in the road crying people drive by screaming something about getting some drunk out of the road…I guess it only works for girls. 

Archived