Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum

Actresses Back In The Day


Recommended Posts

Hedy Lamarr was not only gorgeous, but a genius as well. She and a male friend came up with electronic frequency skipping that is the basis for all sorts of stuff, including jam-resistant guidance systems, secure communications, and a bunch more.  She never got paid by the U.S. Government for any of it!

image.jpeg

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

picture of dorian gray angela lansbury

 

Angela Lansbury

 

Angela Lansbury has been captivating audiences for seven decades in roles ranging  from sassy salon singer to sharp-witted sleuth. With equal ease, she’s played a princess, a pirate, a witch and a wench, and triumphed as not only a beloved movie star, but also the belle of Broadway and the queen of primetime television.  

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

FB_IMG_1653664446216.thumb.jpg.6c534ca3a57668e23417559a60eb7fd5.jpg

 

Lucy, as she looked when she appeared with the Three Stooges in The Three Little Pigskins  :rolleyes:  ^_^

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

 

 

 ...... ".. you got some 'splainin' to do!!!" ......

 

(yes she is quite a looker, but I love her for giving Star Trek a start)

 

Quite the looker and a very talented actress.  It's a shame that she is mostly known for playing the ditzy Lucy Ricardo.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

 

picture of dorian gray angela lansbury

 

Angela Lansbury

 

Angela Lansbury has been captivating audiences for seven decades in roles ranging  from sassy salon singer to sharp-witted sleuth. With equal ease, she’s played a princess, a pirate, a witch and a wench, and triumphed as not only a beloved movie star, but also the belle of Broadway and the queen of primetime television.  

 

 

Another of the greats.  My favorites of hers are "The Court Jester" as Princess Gwendolyn
Caftan Woman: NATIONAL CLASSIC MOVIE DAY, THE CLASSIC COMFORT MOVIE  BLOGATHON: The Court Jester (1955)

 

and as Em in "The Harvey Girls"

Angela Lansbury in "The Harvey Girls" | Harvey girls, Angela lansbury,  Hollywood glamour

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

im going with barbara stanwyck , she was a looker that lasted like rachele welch and sophia loren image.gif.1b982a309692cf6289a9c7919502452a.gif

Edited by watab kid
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

            

 

 

         61EkK45zx4L._AC_SX466_.jpg

 

In San Francisco back in the early 70's, two of my friends and frat bros heard she was going to be performing and managed to get tickets.

 

"Why?"  I asked.

 

"Because she's a treasure who won't be here forever!" was the reply.

 

I so wish I'd gone with 'em.  :blush:

 

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My all time favorite of old...........image.thumb.png.90759e78872bafb6b9343550b1995ebc.pngMaureen O'Hara

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, watab kid said:

im going with barbara stanwyck , she was a looker that lasted like rachele welch and sophia loren image.gif.1b982a309692cf6289a9c7919502452a.gif

I liked Lady of Burlesque. Decent movie in my opinion, and I really like Barbara Stanwyck in comedies.

 

But casting her as Dixie Daisy was, in my opinion, wrong. People that go to a strip joint do not want to see girls built like this.

 

1032136277_BarbaraStanwyckyummy.jpg.82f50d201bf7e2481456886511710535.jpg

 

They want to see girls built like this.

 

Jayne-Mansfield-lavendergolden-41861641-972-1531.thumb.jpg.0372fba5a8cd08b71d6423ddb14f0149.jpg

 

Talk about your "suspension of disbelief". :P

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I like Myrna Loy before she became the sweet Nora Charles. Back when she was playing all the exotic, mostly non-white women.

 

In THE BARBARIAN, she was half Egyptian.

 

964178457_MyrnaLoyTheBarbarian.thumb.jpg.be9299c36a4c4cc470b9c5fc2eca3f54.jpg

 

And then she was a Chinese girl, as Dr. Fu Manchu's daughter.

 

5877e3333526dbc7df9fab8fa13ef5db.jpg.6dfbfd058348198370c29f8e1a547615.jpg

 

In Stamboul Quest she was a German spy during World War I. You tell her anything she wanted to know, wouldn't you?

 

c883e41d4d07b546d421bac2357ecd69--hollywood-heroines-hollywood-actresses.jpg.73599c1579d33ebd04ce99383926fd0f.jpg

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The other thing made obvious from some of these, were the skills of some of the studio still photographers.  They took far better posed and candid PR photos than most seen today.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

image.png.1d92e0b7c7a32bb3d81b7affb06deed5.png

June Marlowe aka Miss Crabtree from the Little Rascals!

Edited by Rye Miles #13621
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Back in the sixties, when she was still cute, before the plastic surgery.

 

1110138083_GoldieHawnButterfliesareFree1.jpg.5bad9e4199808fda9720bd916168c495.jpg

 

Betty, Betty, and Norma. How to Marry a Millionaire.

 

1737289409_HowToMarryaMillionaire1953.jpg.c8beb18c21d6244b807a4dd92ba93eaa.jpg

 

This I had never considered. The girl on the right is Jodie Foster. 14. Playing the hooker in TAXI DRIVER (Iris? been a few years). The girl on the left is her big sister, who was her stand-in for the scenes that were a little bit too risque for a 14 year old to be legally doing.

 

1935972046_JodieFostersisterConnieTaxiDriver.jpg.bbf3cdf012a273cd71a7e589d7be23aa.jpg

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I"m surprised nobody mentioned Ingrid Bergman.
We were watching a BluRay of Casablanca last night..
Wonderful film quality, and she was a real beauty.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

 

Quite the looker and a very talented actress.  It's a shame that she is mostly known for playing the ditzy Lucy Ricardo.  

I think she realized that a film once in a while was not worth as much as a long running series, with residuals for syndication.  Women just don’t get as many roles as men.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

I think she realized that a film once in a while was not worth as much as a long running series, with residuals for syndication.  Women just don’t get as many roles as men.

 

I don't deny that she was a shrewd businesswoman.  Just a bit sad that pretty much her full range of talent is being forgotten.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Alpo said:

I liked Lady of Burlesque. Decent movie in my opinion, and I really like Barbara Stanwyck in comedies.

 

But casting her as Dixie Daisy was, in my opinion, wrong. People that go to a strip joint do not want to see girls built like this.

 

1032136277_BarbaraStanwyckyummy.jpg.82f50d201bf7e2481456886511710535.jpg

 

They want to see girls built like this.

 

Jayne-Mansfield-lavendergolden-41861641-972-1531.thumb.jpg.0372fba5a8cd08b71d6423ddb14f0149.jpg

 

Talk about your "suspension of disbelief". :P

dont disagree they expected marilyn and jane mansfield , i think barbara stanwyck was far better in her bad girl early movies , oh and so many more have been posted since mine , i did always like jodie foster [in spite of hinkley] and goldy in the early years - not near as dumb as portrayed , but then ive always found stana attractive as well 

 

 

9c6952235d5de3751aa00a0fc6c7128f.png

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.