SASS Wire Forum

Uvalde -- What's going on there ?

By now, (2 days later) why can't the authorities figure out what actually  happened there?  They had boo-coo oficers present within minutes and a bunch of eye witnesses.  Why all the story discrepancies?

It's begun to appear as a cover-up of some kind.  

Looking past the agency smoke screen and media hype,  one should maybe ask if there is/was drug cartel involvement.  It closely resembles the kinds of  things the drug cartels do in Mexico to terrorize communities and suppress  police response.

So was Ramos under cartel control? Where did the 18 year-old get the money to buy two expensive new rifles that his parents and grandparents knew nothing about?

The failures in both local law enforcement actions and public information dissemination sure make one wonder.

Is anybody else wondering? 

Maybe the stories will level out soon-- or maybe not.   

I'm wondering what type of agency Uvalde P.D. is.   Do they provide quality training, equipment and support for their officers or are they just a necessary evil that is provided only state mandated funding?  Are the officers provided AR-15's, bullet proof vests and are tactical rifle shields available?  

This incident sounds very much like the Columbine H.S. shooting where the officers surrounded the school but didn't enter and immediately confront the shooter(s).  I know my agency made a lot of changes after the Columbine H.S. shooting.  

I read the border patrol tactical unit arrived but the local police blocked them from entering for over 30 minutes.   Parents pleaded the police to go save their children.   

As a father,  you're going to have a hard time keeping me out of there to save my child, especially if you refuse to go do your job.  

17 minutes ago, Trigger Mike said:

I read the border patrol tactical unit arrived but the local police blocked them from entering for over 30 minutes.   Parents pleaded the police to go save their children.   

As a father,  you're going to have a hard time keeping me out of there to save my child, especially if you refuse to go do your job.  

No question.  They'd have had to shoot me in the back on camera to stop me.  It really looks like 19 officers stayed in a safe place for 45 minutes while kids and teachers were getting murdered and pleading for help on 911.  

So seeing this,  will you call 911 or reach for your home protection weapon (or both)  if your home is ever threatened? 

----And they act like they don't understand peoples' defensiveness of 2A.

Let me pose this question, say this happened again in that city tomorrow, do you think people would be patient enough not to get their own guns and take charge? I do not condone this as it would lead only to a chaotic end.

Read a newspaper article said a woman was handcuffed but broke loose ran in and extracted her children (two total), obviously in a different room(s) than the perp.

I read where one person drove 40 miles from work to check on their kids. 40 miles...think about it... enough time had elapsed for it to hit the news, for that person to hear about it, drive 40 miles and the situation was still unfolding.

As far as what hits the news, or social media, in big public meltdowns like this a lot hits tik tok, youtube, facebook, twitter real fast in real time. Sometimes its confusing to sort out but you know the old saying "seeing is believing." A mob of upset grieving angry parents pleading for action in real time, with the MSM broadcasting the situation in real time, sympathy will go to parents every time, and in this case deservedly so. This was not a mob of halfwits surrounding a junky being arrested, putting a cop into a bad spot and pushing the situation into a riot due to the mobs ignorance, prejudice and intolerance. You won't see the families of Uvalde burning down a Wendy's or 7 Eleven tonight because they mistakenly think that doing so is some sort of justified act of vengeance. At this moment too many families grieve for the want of their kids, but they have lost their babies forever. They are at home right now mourning and will for a long time. Like I said,  you won't see the city burn down like some other places, and you won't see outside groups pouring in goading them on to do so.  That's a curious observation in itself to be pondered, but I will skip delving into the fact this situation does not fall into the political and demographic framework of such anarchist groups. But there will be a large part of the heart of that city torn away that will take a generation or two to replace.

Too much got out too quick for the authorities to save face and build cover for. I am glad that the Director of Public Safety was so candid about much of this today. 

6 minutes ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

Let me pose this question, say this happened again in that city tomorrow, do you think people would be patient enough not to get their on guns and take charge? I do not condone this as it would lead only to a chaotic end.

Read a newspaper article said a woman was handcuffed but broke loose ran in and extracted her children (two total), obviously in a different room(s) than the perp.

I read where one person drove 40 miles from work to check on their kids. 40 miles...think about it... enough time had elapsed for it to hit the news, for that person to hear about it, drive 40 miles and the situation was still unfolding.

As far as what hits the news, or social media, in big public meltdowns like this a lot hits tik tok, youtube, facebook, twitter real fast in real time. Sometimes its confusing to sort out but you know the old saying "seeing is believing." A mob of upset grieving angry parents pleading for action in real time, with the MSM broadcasting the situation in real time, sympathy will go to parents every time, and in this case deservedly so. They ain't burning down a Wendy's or 7 Eleven seeking vengeance, and at the moment they just want their kids, right then and there. . It is impossible discredit their logical and emotional response. They are at home right now still mourning, and you won't see the city burn down like some other places, but there will be a large part of the heart of that city torn away that will take a couple of generations to replace. Too much got out too quick for the authorities to save face and build cover for. I am glad that the Director of Public Safety was so candid about much of this today. 

They boxed themselves in-- first bragging about their "sub-4-minute arrival on scene", but then the story gradually came out about the hour wait before they did anything more than stand around and listen to the screams, 911 calls and gunfire.  

Then to claim they could not be sure where the shooter was located --- with 100+ rounds fired????  I'm afraid that is just a very hard to believe lie.  The classrooms had windows that officers should have been looking and firing through.  And I have trouble believing they had no door breach ammo and had to wait for a janitor to bring a key.  

I understand that It's much easier to be a Monday morning quarterback, but all of what happened just defies common sense and public trust.   Something was very wrong in Uvalde.

6 hours ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

I'm wondering what type of agency Uvalde P.D. is.   Do they provide quality training, equipment and support for their officers or are they just a necessary evil that is provided only state mandated funding?  Are the officers provided AR-15's, bullet proof vests and are tactical rifle shields available?  

This incident sounds very much like the Columbine H.S. shooting where the officers surrounded the school but didn't enter and immediately confront the shooter(s).  I know my agency made a lot of changes after the Columbine H.S. shooting.  

I know the kid had firepower but they had him boxed in. 30 well trained officers even with revolvers could have taken him out.

The two things missing were sound leadership and, quite frankly, balls.

Heck for it to take long enough for 30 officers to show up was too long. ( i think 30 is what I recall being the total on scene).

I’m wondering if it was a case of incompetent leadership. I just can’t see that many cops being afraid to challenge 1 kid . Any way you cut it , it’s a bad situation all around. The politicians already have the people on the left convinced to hate the cops , the press will use this to drum up hatred on the right. It would be hard for a youngster to choose police officer as a occupation in today’s world. The story has changed so much over the last day it will be interesting to see what the investigation finds 

My wife and I took an "hour of silence" today in reverence for the kids and teachers, but also to let it sink in how long the period of police non-response lasted while they listened to gunfire and kids screaming.  It felt like forever!  Regardless of what bureaucratic orders were given, I could never have stood around and  waited like that. 

The classroom had windows.  They could at least have drawn his attention/ fire away from the kids or breached the wall with a vehicle to give the kids some means of escape --and with police cover fire.  

The story about police being busy evacuating kids from other classrooms is a bogus smoke screen.  They had the guy bottled up.  To move to any other classroom he had to reveal himself.  The police just picked a legitimate looking but safer job to do. 

It is pretty obvious that  whatever the  causation may be, our society has raised a number of unpredictable animals with no concept of the value of life -- or of God for that matter.  We can't see or predict in advance who they are, so trying to enforcibly deal with their warped mental health is going to run aground of their Constitutional rights and will proove impossible.   That leaves direct crime scene intervention as the only real-world way to protect the public from them.  The police have to be courageously willing to directly intervene and not just wait and watch and settle for arresting criminals after the fact.  

It looks like the School Police Chief is going to get thrown under the bus.  He was on scene and made the decision that the situation had gone from an active shooter to a barricaded gunman.  I wonder how many children's lives were lost because of this "safe" decision.

49 minutes ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

It looks like the School Police Chief is going to get thrown under the bus.  He was on scene and made the decision that the situation had gone from an active shooter to a barricaded gunman.  I wonder how many children's lives were lost because of this "safe" decision.

One article I read didn’t say anything about the school police chief . But it did say the border patrol agents that were there got fed up with the situation and took it upon themselves to act 

Ya know, it's easy to be an armchair quarterback when you weren't there and to say I would have done this or that is really fruitless.  For an armed, or unarmed mob of parents to rush into a situation like that would clearly make the situation worse than it already was and could have resulted in more casualties.  It certainly would have made it more difficult for the officers on the scene to do their job.

Uvalde is a small city with a small police department so having both concerned citizens, off duty LEO's, and multiple agencies responding is a logistical nightmare due to the inability to communicate with all involved.

Now I agree that command staff made poor decisions tactically based on current active shooter protocols and that command staff will be held accountable.  Please don't vilify the police until the final investigation is completed.  That isn't helping either.

51 minutes ago, Jailhouse Jim, SASS #13104 said:

It certainly would have made it more difficult for the officers on the scene to do their job.

That rhetoric all sounds good, but "armchair quarterback" or not,  the plain fact is that THE POLICE DIDN'T DO THEIR JOB, regardless of whether or not parents interfered.    Instead they focused on safer jobs, like crowd control and questionable evacuations of other safely locked-down classrooms. 

All that was needed was one officer with the cajones to ignore the errant direction and take the obvious action that they knew was needed.

Its really hard to believe the bureaucratic  line/lie that they thought the active shooter wasn't any longer actively shooting and was barracaded. For goodness sake, the gunfire was still going on and horribly audible to everyone. 

Even diverting the shooter's attention would likely have saved lives inside the classroom.  But they're trying to rationalize doing nothing of consequence and their lying isn't helping anything.  

And I believe that the scruitny and vocal criticism does help, if it assures that what happened in Uvalde doesn't become the standard, ineffective police protocol.  The same kind of thing occurred in Florida and elsewhere.  Either we have dependable police protection of school kids or we don't.  As you know, police work is supposed to be more than just public relations and arresting criminals after the fact. 

If it had occurred on a mobile school bus, I could understand the confusion and indecision.  But in a classroom with a set structure and  position, the inaction and lack of any pre-response planning was inexcusable.  I would liken their inaction to a search-rescue unit waiting until a climber falls before taking any action to secure them, or a fire crew waiting for the screams to stop before engaging a structure fire.  That is simply not the public's expectation --- or the job description.  The "protect" word is a verb-- it has to mean more than watch and wait. 

It worked out pretty well for the mother that was handcuffed , then somehow got out of the cuffs got into the building and got her kids out . If the stories are true I really can’t blame the parents for acting on their own . Even if they felt it had turned into a hostage situation what about all the kids that were already shot ? Until the threat is dealt with the emt’s can’t go in . Discussing what happened is the only way to have a better game plan next time 

I support VCDL, and they ran an article on the cluster* that went down with the local cops.

What happened

A seriously deranged 18-year-old bought a couple of rifles and shared some of his evil plans on social media.  He shot his grandmother in the face, leaving her in serious condition, stole a vehicle, and crashed it near a school.

He fired shots at some people who were watching him after he got out of the crashed vehicle.  Fortunately, he missed them.  He continued shooting from outside the school for about 12 minutes.  He then walked over to the school carrying one of his rifles and went in through an unsecured side door that a teacher had left propped open!  That was a terrible and fatal breach of security.  

From a report I saw, the school district only has one armed Resource Officer to cover many schools.  It seems the Resource Officer was not at the particular school when the incident happened.

The murderer ended up barricading himself in a classroom with 10-year-old students and some teachers.  He told everyone inside the room they were going to die.  Over the next 40+ minutes (perhaps as much as 90 minutes) he murdered 19 students and 2 teachers in cold blood and wounded many others.  Two kids managed to hide and were not shot (what a nightmare that must have been for them, waiting to be discovered and shot for that whole time).

While precious time passed, the police cars continued to accumulate in front of the school, but nobody was going in to stop the murderer - even when there were plenty of officers for back up.  Horrified parents wanted to go into the school themselves to save their children if the police weren’t going to do so.

The police stood in a line to keep those parents from getting to the building, handcuffing some and pepper spraying others, while still not engaging the killer.

Unbelievably, a Department of Public Safety officer (Texas’s version of state police) said law enforcement gathered outside the building and didn’t rush in because they might get shot!  Huh?  That’s part of the risk of being in law enforcement every time they go on duty.  They are paid to run toward danger, not away from it.  As somebody that served in law enforcement in Texas years ago, I can offer no explanation as to why so many officers stood by for so long.  I know that is not how I was trained.

Law enforcement finally decided to charge into the building to engage the murderer.  In the ensuing shootout, some officers were wounded, but the murderer was killed.  But it was way too late for so many innocent children and their teachers.

Sounds like Columbine all over again, except the casualties are worse in Uvalde. At Columbine, the police were told NOT to enter the building until SWAT got there. That didn't happen for nearly an hour!  Allegedly, a teacher went to her car to get something and wedged the door open.  The scumbag entered through that door!  Training, training, TRAINING!  Well, training and planning takes money.  But let's go defund the police!  A "certain gentleman" who spoke at the NRA convention said we need to harden every school in the country!  And training needs to include accuracy necessary for head shots....just in case the perp is wearing body armor.  And people, especially kids, need to pay attention to their "friends" who act and talk dangerously luney! And report it!  And when they are reported, parents, teachers and police need to pay attention, and err on the side of caution!  Yesterday, a suburban police department were alerted to a possible person packing a gun. The cops battened down the hatches at a nearby elementary school, a middle school and the high school.  Tuned out the "gun" was a paintball gun.  No dead, no injuries, very little incovenience. But they had to check it out!  Threat at North High School in Denver checked out and IIRC at arrest made.  Same in Boulder.  Two kids arrested. Police state activities?  Maybe, but nobody hurt!

I yield the stump!

Some of you know me here and that I support police as I just retired after 28 years service....but, I DO have experience with this. All the training we do on active shooter now is you go in.. no waiting for backup,  people are dying, you go in..when we started this job, we know the consequences and accept them as they are. Innocents are being killed, you go in. I have no idea how the officers stood outside so long when he was killing kids, you go in. My officers would have ran me over as their sergeant if I told them to stay out. 

I'm wondering if the officers outside were told, like they said, he is no longer actively shooting people????? But he came to that school to kill innocents, you go in..But did they still hear shots??? You go in...there are still kids in there...you go in. I was not there, I don't know the circumstances as I got all my info from the crap media, but I'm absolutely shocked they didn't go in. I'm waiting for after action reports and more info.Gid be with the victims and families of this senseless tragedy. 

13 minutes ago, ORNERY OAF said:

........you go in..

I'm not a LEO, ex or active, but as a ex Fire Fighter I can tell you that with lives at stake in a fire situation we would have gone in. We were there to protect and serve!

There will be a thorough investigation, probably by DPS. It may take some time. The conspiracy idiots are out in droves already. 

I will wait for the results rather than rely on the media reports right now. 
I expect some heads to roll and changes to be made. 

Like everything else in this world, you get what you pay for.  If you don't pay for good personnel, pay for good equipment and pay for proper and regular training, you end up with a mess like this when things go south.  

Uvalde Consolidated Independent School District (UCISD) security measures in place prior to massacre. 

PREVENTATIVE SECURITY MEASURES

As a primary preventative strategy for addressing the problems of violence, vandalism,
disruptions and fear, UCISD has proponents to curb and/or eliminate these elements from our
school so that we may provide a safe and secure environment for all.

1. POLICE OFFICERS – The district employs 4 officers. This includes a Chief, a detective,
and two officers.

2. PARTNERSHIPS WITH LOCAL LAW ENFORCEMENT. Local law enforcement agencies
are invited to come to any of our campuses while they are on patrol. UCISD provides free
breakfast or lunch to any law enforcement personnel visiting our campuses.

3. SECURITY STAFF – Secondary campuses have staff who patrol door entrances, parking
lots and perimeters of the campuses.

4. CASE MANAGERS/SOCIAL WORKERS – Through partnerships with nonprofit groups,
case managers serve to support students and families at UCISD campuses

5. LICENCED PROFESSIONAL COUNSELORS – UCISD has four full-time Family-Student
Support Counselors. These four counselors are assigned to the eight campuses in the
district. Each counselor is assigned two campuses.

6. THREAT ASSESSMENT TEAMS – Every campus employs an interdisciplinary team of
trained professionals that convene to identify, evaluate, classify and address threats or
potential threats to school security. Following assessment, this team determines
appropriate response and intervention. This includes notification and involvement of
parents, a suicide risk assessment, and the development of a written safety plan.

7. SOCIAL MEDIA THREATS – UCISD utilizes Social Sentinel to monitor all social media with
a connection to Uvalde as a measure to identify any possible threats that might be made
against students and or staff within the school district.

8. RAPTOR TECHNOLOGIES – UCISD utilizes RAPTOR Technologies. The Raptor® Visitor
Management school security system screens for sex offenders, alerts staff of custody
violations, and provides districtwide reporting for all visitors.

9. INTERQUEST DETECTION CANINE SERVICES. Provide random, unannounced visits
throughout the school year. The canines are trained to detect: Drugs, alcohol, ammunition,
gunpowder, and firearms.

10. MOTION DETECTORS AND ALARM SYSTEMS – Most campuses have motion detectors
and alarms installed that alert key personnel and emergency responders when the campus
has been breached after hours.

11. PERIMETER FENCING – Dalton, Anthon, and Robb have fencing that encloses the
campus is designed to limit and/or restrict access to individuals without a need to be on the
campus.

12. SECURITY VESTIBULES AND OUTSIDE DOOR BUZZ-IN SYSTEMS – Uvalde HS utilized
a security vestibule and outside door buzz-in system. Anthon Elementary utilizes a security
vestibule to direct visitors into the office.

13. LIMITED LUNCHTIME DELIVERIES – Parents are welcome to eat lunch with their child at
school, and may bring their child food when joining them for lunch, however, food drop-offs
are not permitted. This helps reduce interruptions to classrooms and decreases distractions
to office staff during that busy time of day when active monitoring is so critical.

14. SECURITY CAMERAS – Approximately 100 cameras are in place at Uvalde High School
and 24 at Morales Junior High.

15. RADIOS – Key staff have been provided radios to support campus communication
processes.

16. PORTABLE METAL DETECTORS – Metal detection devises are utilized at the football
stadium. Walk through detectors on the home side and hand-held wands are utilized on the
visitor side. Backpacks are searched prior to entry also. Hand-held wands are utilized at the
DAEP prior to students entering the building.

17. LOCKED CLASSROOM DOOR POLICY – Teachers are instructed to keep their classroom
doors closed and locked at all times. Barriers are not to be used. Substitutes shall follow the
same policy, with campuses ensuring they have access to the classrooms they need
throughout the day. The Standard Response Protocol procedures are on the back of all of
our badges issued to substitute teachers.

18. STAFF TRAINING – All staff members are trained annually in emergency protocols for the
campus. Key campus personnel are CPI-trained.

19. STUDENT TRAINING & DRILLS – Students receive training on the Standard Response
Protocol for lockout, lockdown, evacuate, shelter, and hold. In addition, drills are held for
each of these emergency actions on a regular basis. Students also receive strategies on
bullying prevention.

20. BULLYING REPORT SYSTEM – Uvalde CISD utilizes the STOP!T app.
STOP!T allows you to privately report bullying going on at school. Throughout the school
year, students from any campus will be able to use this app to report dangers, threats, and
bullying they may be experiencing, whether its physical, verbal, or cyber bullying.

21. THREAT REPORTING SYSTEM – Students, parents, staff, and community members are
encouraged to share information with us that is deemed troubling, so that we may take

appropriate action. This includes information about weapons, threats, fights, drugs, self-
harm, suicide or disclosures made that are concerning. Reports may be made online at

ucisd.net, by contacting any campus administrator, district administrator or UCISD Police
Officers.

Found in article on NPR.

https://www.npr.org/2022/05/28/1101921388/uvalde-shooting-raises-questions-about-school-security

4 hours ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

Bashing time against guns and cops.

Surely not intended against LEOs in general.   But yes it is bashing time against those who take the salary, authority and benefits, but then fail to serve and protect as sworn.

I'm sure there are a lot of LEOs nationwide who are gut wrenching over this event like many of us.  And they are upset about the needless deaths and lack of proper police intervention--not just about what effect it will have on the general  police image.  

23 minutes ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

Uvalde Consolidated Independent School District (UCISD) security measures in place prior to massacre. 

PREVENTATIVE SECURITY MEASURES

As a primary preventative strategy for addressing the problems of violence, vandalism,
disruptions and fear, UCISD has proponents to curb and/or eliminate these elements from our
school so that we may provide a safe and secure environment for all.

1. POLICE OFFICERS – The district employs 4 officers. This includes a Chief, a detective,
and two officers.

2. PARTNERSHIPS WITH LOCAL LAW ENFORCEMENT. Local law enforcement agencies
are invited to come to any of our campuses while they are on patrol. UCISD provides free
breakfast or lunch to any law enforcement personnel visiting our campuses.

3. SECURITY STAFF – Secondary campuses have staff who patrol door entrances, parking
lots and perimeters of the campuses.

4. CASE MANAGERS/SOCIAL WORKERS – Through partnerships with nonprofit groups,
case managers serve to support students and families at UCISD campuses

5. LICENCED PROFESSIONAL COUNSELORS – UCISD has four full-time Family-Student
Support Counselors. These four counselors are assigned to the eight campuses in the
district. Each counselor is assigned two campuses.

6. THREAT ASSESSMENT TEAMS – Every campus employs an interdisciplinary team of
trained professionals that convene to identify, evaluate, classify and address threats or
potential threats to school security. Following assessment, this team determines
appropriate response and intervention. This includes notification and involvement of
parents, a suicide risk assessment, and the development of a written safety plan.

7. SOCIAL MEDIA THREATS – UCISD utilizes Social Sentinel to monitor all social media with
a connection to Uvalde as a measure to identify any possible threats that might be made
against students and or staff within the school district.

8. RAPTOR TECHNOLOGIES – UCISD utilizes RAPTOR Technologies. The Raptor® Visitor
Management school security system screens for sex offenders, alerts staff of custody
violations, and provides districtwide reporting for all visitors.

9. INTERQUEST DETECTION CANINE SERVICES. Provide random, unannounced visits
throughout the school year. The canines are trained to detect: Drugs, alcohol, ammunition,
gunpowder, and firearms.

10. MOTION DETECTORS AND ALARM SYSTEMS – Most campuses have motion detectors
and alarms installed that alert key personnel and emergency responders when the campus
has been breached after hours.

11. PERIMETER FENCING – Dalton, Anthon, and Robb have fencing that encloses the
campus is designed to limit and/or restrict access to individuals without a need to be on the
campus.

12. SECURITY VESTIBULES AND OUTSIDE DOOR BUZZ-IN SYSTEMS – Uvalde HS utilized
a security vestibule and outside door buzz-in system. Anthon Elementary utilizes a security
vestibule to direct visitors into the office.

13. LIMITED LUNCHTIME DELIVERIES – Parents are welcome to eat lunch with their child at
school, and may bring their child food when joining them for lunch, however, food drop-offs
are not permitted. This helps reduce interruptions to classrooms and decreases distractions
to office staff during that busy time of day when active monitoring is so critical.

14. SECURITY CAMERAS – Approximately 100 cameras are in place at Uvalde High School
and 24 at Morales Junior High.

15. RADIOS – Key staff have been provided radios to support campus communication
processes.

16. PORTABLE METAL DETECTORS – Metal detection devises are utilized at the football
stadium. Walk through detectors on the home side and hand-held wands are utilized on the
visitor side. Backpacks are searched prior to entry also. Hand-held wands are utilized at the
DAEP prior to students entering the building.

17. LOCKED CLASSROOM DOOR POLICY – Teachers are instructed to keep their classroom
doors closed and locked at all times. Barriers are not to be used. Substitutes shall follow the
same policy, with campuses ensuring they have access to the classrooms they need
throughout the day. The Standard Response Protocol procedures are on the back of all of
our badges issued to substitute teachers.

18. STAFF TRAINING – All staff members are trained annually in emergency protocols for the
campus. Key campus personnel are CPI-trained.

19. STUDENT TRAINING & DRILLS – Students receive training on the Standard Response
Protocol for lockout, lockdown, evacuate, shelter, and hold. In addition, drills are held for
each of these emergency actions on a regular basis. Students also receive strategies on
bullying prevention.

20. BULLYING REPORT SYSTEM – Uvalde CISD utilizes the STOP!T app.
STOP!T allows you to privately report bullying going on at school. Throughout the school
year, students from any campus will be able to use this app to report dangers, threats, and
bullying they may be experiencing, whether its physical, verbal, or cyber bullying.

21. THREAT REPORTING SYSTEM – Students, parents, staff, and community members are
encouraged to share information with us that is deemed troubling, so that we may take

appropriate action. This includes information about weapons, threats, fights, drugs, self-
harm, suicide or disclosures made that are concerning. Reports may be made online at

ucisd.net, by contacting any campus administrator, district administrator or UCISD Police
Officers.

Found in article on NPR.

https://www.npr.org/2022/05/28/1101921388/uvalde-shooting-raises-questions-about-school-security

It appears #19 may be the only numbered measure that did not fail.  The kids did everything right.  Just about everybody else dropped the ball. 

1 hour ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

Bashing time against guns and cops.

Well, against guns certainly. That started within minutes of the incident. It will continue and get worse. The ignorant statements from the gun grabbers are falling like January snow in the Rockies. It’s a blizzard.

2 minutes ago, Buckshot Bob said:

Just saw this on Fb the internet is definitely a cruel and unforgiving beast 

image.png.c9facd5f6a7e09152ca0933adf51cc2e.png

Incredibly sad in so many ways. 

41 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Well, against guns certainly. That started within minutes of the incident. It will continue and get worse. The ignorant statements from the gun grabbers are falling like January snow in the Rockies. It’s a blizzard.

And to the gun grabbers dismay, there will be a large increase in gun sales...especially black rifles.

11 minutes ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

And to the gun grabbers dismay, there will be a large increase in gun sales...especially black rifles.

I’m guessing companies like Magpul are experiencing brisk magazine sales right now . Especially with the talk of bringing the AWB back again. Any mag that held over 10 rounds was worth a fortune when it was law . I sure am glad there was a sunset clause in the last one . If there wasn’t I’d hate to think where we would be by now 

2 hours ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

It's already started.  I drove past two LGSs today.  Both had lines out front and full parking lots.  

What's it mean to us?  That much longer before primers, brass and powder get caught up to demand. 

i have a question.....does the governor have the power to summarily fire all LEO that did nothing? What message might that send anyway? 

Just thinking out loud here...

And yes, I am a huge supporter of law enforcement be  they city, county, state of federal.

Bugler

I'm wondering if the cheapest and best school security might be to post a couple military soldiers in each school.  They're already being paid, are in good physical shape, have good training, full gear and equipment, and understand security.  

I normally don't like the idea of centralized control over policing, but with proper coordination this might work. 

It would at least get away from Barney Fife school security. 

I seriously doubt very many assailants would go up against a couple Marines in full garb with full-auto weapons.  

Just a thought. 

Bad or good idea??

What are your reactions?

Somebody flocked up by the numbers, without any doubt. I'm sure the whole situation will be analyzed by everybody with and without authority, probably including Masaad Ayoob.  Won't bring those victims back, but MAYBE will help prevent a similar situation elsewhere. :unsure: YES! EVERY DAMNED SCHOOL NEEDS TO BE A FORTRESS! That will cost money. But to paraphrase an old Jack Benny joke, where he is supposedly accosted by a stickup man, who says, "Your money or your life!" There is a long pause, before Benny (supposedly a devout skinflint) says, "I'm thinking..."  But "t'aint funny, McGee"!  In reality, it's, "Your money or your kid's lives! And don't think too long about it!"

And, Rule #1: Unless there is an armed security guard at that door, at that time, NOBODY, teacher, student or whoever, goes in or out leaving the door open except for the brief time it takes to transit the doorway!  

Archived