SASS Wire Forum

Balls of Wax

Bisley Joe

How-DEE!

Anyone shoot wax balls out of their cap and ball revolvers? Been thinking of using that for practice: maybe inside a big shed even (with a fan to pull out the smoke).

I read somewhere that using just a percussion cap will make the wax stop in the barrel. Between 5-15 grains and they're accurate. Too much powder and they start losing accuracy. Something to experiment with I guess.

Been thinking of doing the same with my 45 Colts, but the primer nonsense is putting that in the back-burner.

The Cap and Ball Navies would let me practice pretty easily and economically using wax balls.

Especially since they aren't all the same. 

Primer powered WAX bullets (no powder) in a cartridge pistol will zip that wax bullet out of the barrel faster than you can see it.   Seriously.

And the wax will disintegrate if you shoot it at bricks.    I figured the same effect would occur with C&B pistols.

RUBBER bullets will just about give the same performance, although from my personal experience, the wax bullets were more accurate within their

effective ranges....... which would be 'close'.

I never had a wax bullet recochet..... but I have a rubber bullet.

If you decide to shoot these in a cartridge pistol,  better performance is obtained by drilling open the flash hole.   This will also help keep

the primers from 'backing out' and making it difficult for your cylinder to rotate.

On a side note:  TOP BRASS use to make .45 brass that will use shotgun primers to power wax bullets.   These things will

amaze you........ and can be devastating on rats, pigeons, etc..... but they don't work very well on T-Rex or Sabre Tooth Tigers. :o

Another interesting detail:   Using the SHOT GUN PRIMERS only (no projectile) can also be devastating on a wasp nest at close range.

The flame (or sparks) will singe the wings of the wasp and they normally fall to the ground unable to fly off.   The concussion of the blast 

can also disorientate them.

BUT..... be prepared with 2 revolvers, one in each hand, and shoot fast.  :D

..........Widder

I bought a kit a few years ago that consisted of 1,000 wax bullets and 50 pieces of 45 caliber of brass with the primer hole drilled out to accept a shotgun primer. Check out waxbullet.com if they are still there.

At cowboy distances the setup works really well for a practice session.

Lucky :D

Great info!

Thank you!

I ordered the cap maker from Sharpshooter 22 Reloader, along with the primer compound. Waiting to get the cap maker. I hear they are really swamped with orders.

Once I get it, I'll see about doing a video on how they work and with the wax bullets as well.

We should have my shed/workshop in a few months-about 20 feet long. That may be a good place to practice with the wax. There are plenty of free places to shoot where I live-outdoors, but we just got into a stage 2 fire ban and no shooting, campfires, etc. aloud for now.

1 hour ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Wear safety glasses.

..........Widder

I always wear safety glasses, even when I shoot naked!

11 hours ago, Bisley Joe said:

I always wear safety glasses, even when I shoot naked!

In that case....... ya better wear safety jockeys.   :lol:

..........Widder

On 5/29/2022 at 5:16 AM, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

In that case....... ya better wear safety jockeys.   :lol:

..........Widder

LOL!

Codpiece for Medieval SCA Reenactors Steel Groin Protection | Etsy

On 5/31/2022 at 9:16 AM, Bisley Joe said:

LOL!

Codpiece for Medieval SCA Reenactors Steel Groin Protection | Etsy

Stainless Codpiece~!!  :huh:                ^ ^ ^ ^

Archived