SASS Wire Forum

Double handed duellist

Quiet Burp

"Double Duelist" is a SHOOTING STYLE (legal in ALL categories) ...it is not an "officially-recognized" category:

Duelists may shoot one revolver right-handed and one revolver left-handed in what is commonly referred to as “Double Duelist”. Double Duelist is NOT a standalone shooting category.

SHB p.6

REF also: Gunfighter Style (ibid)

Double Duelist shooting style – revolvers cocked and fired one handed and unsupported, five shots with each hand. The revolver, hand, or shooting arm may not be touched by the offhand except when resolving a malfunctioning revolver problem.

SHB p.42

Thanks, is there a reason why its not its own category? Shooting using left and right handed is very different than using strong hand either by swapping the gun to that hand or using a cross draw rig.

I'm new, so I might not have all the terminology down pat. Just wondering if there's a simple explanation why its not its own category. I've started shooting DD and really enjoy it, though I need a ton of practice and shots down range.

Match Directors may offer it as a "standalone" category (with the Duelist category restrictions) if there is enough interest or demand for it.

*Shooting categories offered at any match are ultimately at the discretion of the Match Officials to ensure the success and viability of each match individually.

SHB p.10

I understand your question but in reality the last thing we need now IMHO is another category.  Shooting double duelist is faster than duelist in the transition time it saves so shooting double duelist in a duelist category should give you a little advantage. 

3 hours ago, Tequila Shooter said:

I understand your question but in reality the last thing we need now IMHO is another category.  Shooting double duelist is faster than duelist in the transition time it saves so shooting double duelist in a duelist category should give you a little advantage. 

Unless you are Doc Roy L Pain. He shoots strong hand only duelist and is amazingly fast at it. 

Randy

8 hours ago, Quiet Burp said:

I've started shooting DD and really enjoy it, though I need a ton of practice and shots down range.

I'm going to deviate from your original question because it seems as though it's already been answered.  The advantage to shooting Double Duelist is that it doubles the transition possibilities for any given stage.  What I mean by that is, one stage may have you moving left to right while the next stage has you moving right to left.  On a stage with left to right movement I'll shoot my right pistol first.  I'll then holster my right pistol and shoot my left pistol.  When my left pistol is empty I can be moving to the next shooting position while I'm holstering my left pistol and my right hand is free to be grabbing the next gun.  Exactly the opposite when moving right to left.  So when you say you need a ton of shots down range I say that's only a small part of being a good Double Duelist.  Equally divide your practice between shooting your right and left guns first to allow for those transition opportunities.  Also equally practice picking up the next gun with both your right and your left hands.  You should be just as good with either.

Best advice I was given when I first started in Double Duelist is to do everyday task that you'd normally perform with your strong hand with your weak hand.  Bathroom tasks are especially beneficial.  Brush your teeth, shave, wash yourself in the shower, etc.  Do all those with your weak hand.  You'll be amazed at how fast your motor skills improve with that hand.  That will translate over to shooting with it too.  

Lastly, get yourself some snap caps.  I like A-Zoom myself.  And then do that ton of practice at home.  You don't need to waste a ton of live ammo to get really REALLY good.  Dry fire practice is some of the very best you can do.  You can practice drawing, holstering, transitions from pistols to long guns or long guns to pistols.  The possibilities are endless. 

Okay, that wasn't the last thing.  This is the last thing.  When you get really good and decide to come visit us here in the states you have to promise not to beat me. :D

I see VERY few Duelist shooting with just one hand anymore.

Most all are shooting Double Duelist. But no need for another category.

Doc Roy L Pain is one mentioned that just uses one hand. And he is VERY good at it.

But pretty much every other duelist I can think of is DD.

11 hours ago, Quiet Burp said:

Double handed duellist is the same category as shooting single handed duellist isn't it?

Yes - it's also an approved shooting style in Gunfighter category.

14 hours ago, Tequila Shooter said:

Shooting double duelist is faster than duelist in the transition time it saves so shooting double duelist in a duelist category should give you a little advantage. 

As long as you are as competent with your weak hand as you are with your strong hand. I am not.

I've never heard anyone talk about double duelist being an advantage over a strong hand duelist because of a fatigue factor.  How many of us have had a Ruger run around and your thumb begins to cramp up by the time you get to the fifth shot fired.  I am just guessing, but seems to me that a strong hand shooter uses that one thumb double the amount of times then a double duelist and thus there may be some fatigue set in by the end of a match.  Just a thought.  Seems logical.  What do you think?

Archived