SASS Wire Forum

Model & Toy Steam Engines

Buckshot Bear

Further to the obscure hobbies or interests thread which was thoroughly interesting to see what keeps some of you busy, does anyone have or had a toy/model steam as a boy? It would be interesting for this steam nut :) 

I collect them from all over the world, many now well over 100 years old, most come broken and are missing parts and its a challenge fabricating parts for them in my small metal shop. These were 'boys toys' from the early 1900's (huge in Germany and the U.K) up to losing favour in the 1960's when TV and and other entertainment took more of a hold. And its hard to imagine parents these days allowing their young sons to play with fire and live steam boilers on the loungeroom floor....how things have changed.

Jensen model steam engines built (still) in Jeannette PA in the USA is of particular interest to me and I have collected a lot of them.

Howdy Buckshot

I don't have any of the toy model steam engines but I build them from plans and scrap material. I belong to a model engineering association (NEMES) and get help and ideas from other members. Most are powered with about five pounds of compressed air and some are gasoline powered. I have a shop here at home.

I hope these pictures can be seen ok. The video is of a model of Henry Ford's first attempt at making a 4 cycle engine. Google Ford's Kitchen Sink Engine. (He stole the idea from Benz.)

IMG_1648.thumb.JPG.ad9fb77b5004a55429a569ce77f0ce99.JPG 

IMG_1656.JPG

IMG_1648.JPG

7 hours ago, B.P.Gunns SASS#23578 said:

Howdy Buckshot

I don't have any of the toy model steam engines but I build them from plans and scrap material. I belong to a model engineering association (NEMES) and get help and ideas from other members. Most are powered with about five pounds of compressed air and some are gasoline powered. I have a shop here at home.

I hope these pictures can be seen ok. The video is of a model of Henry Ford's first attempt at making a 4 cycle engine. Google Ford's Kitchen Sink Engine. (He stole the idea from Benz.)

IMG_1648.thumb.JPG.ad9fb77b5004a55429a569ce77f0ce99.JPG 

IMG_1656.JPG

IMG_1648.JPG

That's a wonderful engine B.P, on another forum I'm on a lot of US friends belong/are a part of NEMES.

Do you run any accessories off your engines and do you ever use live steam?

• Buckshot Bear changed the title to Model & Toy Steam Engines

Buckshot, you’d love this museum in Vista, Ca. they have literally hundreds of miniature steam engines on display.

https://craftsmanshipmuseum.com/

Howdy Buckshot.

Three more pictures for you. I built the small beam engine first and then increased the dimensions 100% and built the larger one. The second one is what I call Ford 1. It runs on gas and is fed gas through the modified drip oiler. The third picture is Ford 2 which is a twin cylinder version and runs on gasoline. I tried to download a video of ford 1 running but don't know if it worked. 

20190218_131403.jpg

IMG_1926.JPG

IMG_2006.JPG

9 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

Buckshot, you’d love this museum in Vista, Ca. they have literally hundreds of miniature steam engines on display.

https://craftsmanshipmuseum.com/

Thanks Yul, I just spent some time (and bookmarked) looking through the incredible work that people have done. 

Incredible skill set you have @B.P.Gunns SASS#23578 BP Love those beam engines :) From the glimpses of your workshop in the background it looks very well set up and very neat!

My skill is a lot less, this is a trip hammer that I made and its running of an American made Jensen #20 steam engine 

11 hours ago, B.P.Gunns SASS#23578 said:

Great video Buckshot. I like the little generator and lamp too. I see this is a YouTube video. Maybe I will try to use YouTube to show the Ford engines running.

Thanks

B.P.

Would really like to see it running B.P

I've only just started collecting miniature hit & miss engines. I made the Baker Fan, its fantastic for putting a load on an engine (whether Steam, Stirling or Hit & Miss).

Archived