SASS Wire Forum

What are some of your obscure hobbies or interests?

Chantry

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

I've had a life-long passion for collecting birthdays: ......... only one per year.

........ I'm getting #65 early next week.

:blush:

I was that young once.  I wasn't very good at it.

I also collect watches, mostly pocket watches, fourteen so far, and five wrist watches.  I sold a score of wrist watches over the last two years.  They are awkward when I wear my Med Alert bracelet....which is always.....and the pocket watches are more convenient

I also have a dozen walking sticks / canes.  No sword canes, though.  If someone is close enough to use a sword on it means he's made it through a few dozen rounds of assorted calibers of bullets and a close up pistol-whippin'.

I'm getting rid of a whole herd of O-27 toy trains and accessories.  After my accident late last year I can't get down to do the necessaries under the layout.

20 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I also collect watches, mostly pocket watches, fourteen so far, and five wrist watches.  I sold a score of wrist watches over the last two years.  They are awkward when I wear my Med Alert bracelet....which is always.....and the pocket watches are more convenient

I too carry a pocket watch every day.  Nice to know that I not the only old codger that carries a pocket watch.  Took my watch fob with leather strap in for a repair.   The jewelry store owner's adult son didn't know what the watch fob was for.  Said it was the first time he'd ever seen one!

ZdyHhN.jpg

i collect 22s , not high quality collector items , i like the ones i knew as a kid or of that era and before - some after , mostly making a mess for my heirs i guess 

SASS is still probably my most obscure hobby. Most of my other ones are pretty normal. 

I’ve had some passive interest in miniature wargaming over the years (Warhammer 40k, mostly, although Battletech has recently piqued my interest) but just started dipping my toe into a game called Gaslands, which is sort of Mad Max themed and uses modified Hot Wheels/Matchbox cars as game pieces. I haven’t even played a game yet- modifying the cars is too much fun. 

I’ve also been playing with 3D printing for the past 2 years, which has been fun, rewarding, and sometimes frustrating. 

My nieces and nephews all recently expressed an interest in trying Dungeons and Dragons. I played a few years ago with some friends, so now I’m the Dungeonmaster when the kids want to play. That’s been a riot so far. 

Borderline obscure, but I play Clawhammer Banjo and some 2-finger style banjo. Not bluegrass or 3 finger/Scruggs style mind you. Mostly hymns and old time music;(think late 1800s type stuff). 

Oh and I shoot black powder, although that seems to be getting popular again; guess them heathen smokeyless folks are figuring out the fad.

4 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I also have a dozen walking sticks / canes.  No sword canes, though.  If someone is close enough to use a sword on it means he's made it through a few dozen rounds of assorted calibers of bullets and a close up pistol-whippin'.

I'm getting rid of a whole herd of O-27 toy trains and accessories.  After my accident late last year I can't get down to do the necessaries under the layout.

JFWIW, I also make watch fobs, drops, and chains for myself and others.  Part of the horological obsession.

16 hours ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

I've had a life-long passion for collecting birthdays: ......... only one per year.

May your collection grow large indeed, with grand and perfect health to accompany!

I'd have to say, looking around the hacienda ...

... I collect hair bunnies.

Not dust bunnies.

Sailor, the fine fellow in the foreground, is one quarter Australian Shedder and by golly now he lives up to that designation!

We have no carpets (wife has allergies to dust mites and mold spores) and the household Hoover, the one that ran at the approximate decibel level of a 747 on heavy takeoff, is long gone -- we use a Shop Vac for our household vacuum -- when I empty it, it's packed full of God's honest felt from all the fur!

Belpre Puppies!.JPG

I also dabble on a highly amateurish level in photography.

I was pretty good when film was de rigeur (like that term? Paid good money for it! :P ) -- but this digital stuff taxes a poor old hillbilly's comprehension so I just set the daggone thing on Laundromatic and take the shot!

This is the Federally protected Black River upstream from Lorain, where our treatment plant discharges. We have far more stringent discharge limits than the City of Cleveland, which discharges directly into Lake Erie.

Sunrise in the Yankee North can be impressive, never saw a glorious shade like this back in my hill country!

And last photo, a group of co-workers, out behind the ultraviolet disinfection building!

Black River Reflection.jpg

Sunrise in November.jpg

Co workers 2.jpg

32 minutes ago, Tennessee williams said:

Widder collects hisowndang toenail clippings. He said he had 3 Mason jars full of them.

Only sensible, if some witch doctor gets hold of 'em, he can cast a spell on ya!

3 minutes ago, Marshal Dan Troop 70448 said:

The one that has an expensive hobby now in the family is my wife "BlueJeans". This is just a partial of her collection. Her office has probable 3 times more.

325687045_SDC10873(2).JPG.5f6ee1d993ef28f33dbeb847af6df78b.JPGSDC10875.JPG.981aaa857e5c4be1f8ce6131ed1d350f.JPG781097971_SDC10883(2).thumb.JPG.ebcf52a344015b8b1ff3021a6e2d71a4.JPG781097971_SDC10883(2).thumb.JPG.ebcf52a344015b8b1ff3021a6e2d71a4.JPGSDC10875.JPG.537d17e7c19a7e1a500953ba93882242.JPGSDC11307.JPG.5272978939f81c9e39901be7a9bc7427.JPG1509651423_SDC11304(2).thumb.JPG.027ac53ace0b0dfbe7c3802edf13c368.JPG

And here I thought I'd seen horsing around!

4 hours ago, Tennessee williams said:

Widder collects hisowndang toenail clippings. He said he had 3 Mason jars full of them.

If he can get a whole toenail, they make fantastic guitar and/or mandolin picks.

5 hours ago, Marshal Dan Troop 70448 said:

The one that has an expensive hobby now in the family is my wife "BlueJeans". This is just a partial of her collection. Her office has probable 3 times more.

My father made the comment that if you are really serious about a hobby, it's going to end up being expensive.

When I look at my three major hobbies, I may very well have spent more on books (approx 2200 between the physical ones and the books on the digital reader) or music (15,000+ songs on one of the old, really large memory capacity Apple iPod's) than I have on guns.

Except maybe Widder & Tennessee Williams who collect each others toe lint, nose hairs and toenail clippings, an inexpensive, but gross hobby.

8 minutes ago, Chantry said:

My father made the comment that if you are really serious about a hobby, it's going to end up being expensive.

When I look at my three major hobbies, I may very well have spent more on books (approx 2200 between the physical ones and the books on the digital reader) or music (15,000+ songs on one of the old, really large memory capacity Apple iPod's) than I have on guns.

Except maybe Widder & Tennessee Williams who collect each others toe lint, nose hairs and toenail clippings, an inexpensive, but gross hobby.

Glad to read they grew out of pimple collecting.

If ya’ didn’t know better, you’d think I had Munchausen’s Syndrome! 

I was doing a pre-op interview this morning for a surgical procedure that I’m having next Friday.  We were listing all the times and types of surgery that I have had. This will be the 24th time that I have gone “under the knife”!!!  Some were for work or play injuries.  A couple were to correct the accumulated effects of age.  More recently, it’s been because of infections picked up from surgery on my foot and the resulting recovery process.

So!! Not by choice, I have a sizable collection of scars!! :lol:

6 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

If he can get a whole toenail, they make fantastic guitar and/or mandolin picks.

We ought to get Widder to bring his git-fiddle to TN State with him. If he ain't entertaining enough, we'll fill him full of door prize and make it more enjoyable for us!

I have always been a car and motorcycle lover.

But life, family and "growing up" had phased a lot of those toys out.

So cut to the last couple of years - between Covid and my broken arms; I decided if I was going to live - I deserved a new toy.

A new motorcycle was out as Painted Lady is scared on two wheels - the convertibles I could afford were really not the convertibles I wanted.

So...

I picked up a new Can Am Spyder RT Limited three wheel trike.

1330cc triple, 6 speed semi auto transmission and all the bells and whistles.

Not necessarily the best vehicle for hitting a cowboy shoot with (tho I am working on that), but very fun nonetheless.

Painted Lady and I are looking forward to doing some roadtrips and Spyder gatherings this year.

20220412_164041_HDR.jpg

20220412_164029_HDR.jpg

20220412_164022_HDR.jpg

2 hours ago, Tennessee williams said:

We ought to get Widder to bring his git-fiddle to TN State with him. If he ain't entertaining enough, we'll fill him full of door prize and make it more enjoyable for us!

I'm liable to have a guit-fiddle and a banjer or two with me ;)

I’m pretty boring.

At one point in my life, post divorce first marriage, I collected women. Now, I was no Tom Jones, but it got out of hand, so I got out of that as a hobby.

Some say I collect red headed wives, as I am on my second red headed wife but I don’t think it would count unless I had 5 or more.

You might say I collect kids. I have 5 total, not that it’s a huge number, but 5 more than most ever expected me to have.

I try to determine which politician dabbles in honesty. Then when I get discouraged, I shoot guns, read books and watch movies to distract me.

I have some pocket watches, some original WWII field Gear (U.S., Russian, English and German) and a bunch of Railroad telegraph keys and sounders along with Insulators.  Then there are WWII telegraph keys.  In other words I collect a bunch of junk as my wife says.  :rolleyes::D

Other than SASS.

Owned and rode horses for most my life. Also made my living that way most of it.  

Competed in many different events. But will admit that has taken a 

back seat for the last few years. But still have a few. 

Also have a Harley Davidson 2010 Ultra Classic that I like to ride. 

Have a small but nice knife collection that I hope grows over the years.  

Wife says it's a knife problem. But I say it's a collection. 

10 hours ago, Itchy Trigger said:

Collect collections. The largest being PEZ Dispensers.

My dad had a collection of collections:  Barbwire, lighters, coffee mugs, paper clips, nutcrackers, cap guns, "Spaghetti" guns (shoot uncooked spaghetti), pens, matchbooks, pencils, hole punchers (for validating tickets, different shape holes: clover leaf, diamond, spade, "+", etc.), and "what'sits".  Those are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Oh, yeah, he had a bunch of PEZ dispensers, too.

Angus 

On 5/27/2022 at 5:46 AM, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

......... just collected #65 ........   :blush:

....... this is starting to get old .......:mellow:

4 minutes ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

......... just collected #65 ........   :blush:

....... this is starting to get old .......:mellow:

You might try what Mum used to do, at a certain age she began counting backward, subtracting a year! Happy Birthday!

I started counting birthdays in hexadecimal.
When I got to the alpha numbers, I switched to "age 21 but with 50 years of experience".

On 5/29/2022 at 5:47 PM, bgavin said:

I started counting birthdays in hexadecimal.
When I got to the alpha numbers, I switched to "age 21 but with 50 years of experience".

Apparently, you are also got senile after 50 years, since 21 Hex is only 33 in base 10, even 31 Hex is only 49. But I am a bit pedantic when it comes to math.

Archived