SASS Wire Forum

Ruger problem solved! Thanks!

Doc Moses

Got a "new" blued Old Vaquero. Wanted SBH hammer in it. Got out my SS Vaquero that had a blued sbh hammer took it out. Installed the new ss sbh hammer in the ss Vaq. Put it back together... and the cylinder latch will not move down when cocking the hammer to allow the cylinder to rotate.  Had it apart at least 10 times. It is a simple problem but I am blind to whatever I am doing wrong. I have done the hammer swap before successfully. What is the problem?  Dixon Creek told me that there may be a thread on the wire about this problem already posted but I could not find it. Any help is appreciated. 

Does the hammer plunger operate correctly (compress and return fully) on the hammer with the hammer removed from gun? If so, then the problem is likely something in the mounting of the cylinder bolt/latch itself.

I don't remember because all of my Rugers have been worked on but I don't believe on a stock Ruger you can cock the hammer when the gate is open, nor can you open the gate when it is cocked.

kR

PS I could be wrong we only own a few dozen of them.

2 minutes ago, Kid Rich said:

I don't remember because all of my Rugers have been worked on but I don't believe on a stock Ruger you can cock the hammer when the gate is open, nor can you open the gate when it is cocked.

kR

You are correct, at least based on my NMV's

12 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Make sure the spring and plunger for the cylinder stop is properly positioned 

It seems to be installed correctly. The cylinder stop does not move down when I cock the hammer with the cylinder removed and the gate clised, pin inserted.

4 hours ago, Kid Rich said:

kR

You cannot. I have tried cocking it with the cylinder installed and gate closed, or with the cylinder installed and the gate closed. Without the cylinder it will cock but the cylinder stop is not rotating downward. Hence the reason it will NOT cock when the cylinder is installed.

10 hours ago, I. M. Crossdraw, SASS# 8321 said:

Is the hammer/spring plunger installed on the new SBH hammer?

I did install it but. I will take the gun apart to be sure it is still on and on correctly. Thanks.

Doc,

Watch this Ruger reassembly video carefully.  You may see something that you have installed incorrectly.  

The screws are different lengths and some of the coil springs can get kinked up during reassembly.

1 hour ago, Texas Gunslinger said:

Sounds like the SS hammer doesn't have the plunger/spring installed.  Just got 6 in and none have the plunger/spring installed.

Yeah. After looking at the schematics I think I left that spring out. I will check it tonite and post the results.

Yep Plunger spring.  When I put the new hammer in I used the plunger and pin from the old hammer...but the spring did not fall out so I did not know it was in there.  Everything is working now AND the blued SBH hammer is ready to go with the plunger spring and plunger all set up!

Of course things can never be easy.  4 of the 5 screws that hold the frame together on the blued 44-40 are stuck.  The revolver was made in 1995 and does not look like it has ever been apart.  Not surprising that they are stuck.  That is a problem for tomorrow.  I am going to enjoy my fixed gun tonight!

Thanks everyone for your help.  I knew it had to be something easy but I needed help working through the problem.

Photo on 5-26-22 at 9.20 PM.jpg

Photo on 5-26-22 at 9.21 PM.jpg

• Doc Moses changed the title to Ruger problem solved! Thanks!

Get a 1/4" drive impact driver for the screws. Apply some Kroil a day ahead of time.

Order replacement screws and have them on hand before you begin working the old and stuck ones, so if they snap off the gun wont be disabled during the replacement parts shipping time.

Meanwhile, repetitively apply penetrating lube and fire the gun enough to get the frame warm.  

Archived