SASS Wire Forum

My Google-fu is weak

Alpo

Or duck-fu, for that matter.

I am attempting to find the conversion rate of Spanish money in 1973. Specifically I wish to know how much 50 pesetas (or 5000 centimos, since one peseta was made up of 100 centimos) would have been worth in US dollars in 1973.

I can find what 50 1973 pesetas would be worth today. But I don't want that I want to know what it was worth in 1973. Same book as the holster question. Our hero had requested $10,000 in Spanish money, and the guy that delivered it to him had skimmed 5,000 centimos out of it. I'm just attempting to find out how much that was.

Can anybody help me out on this?

Wow. At 58.2 pesetas to the dollar, that guy skimmed off a whole $0.90. At exchange rates like that, no wonder in the next chapter our hero and his girlfriend were able to get a huge meal for $0.62 each.

I'm thinking the author meant that the guy held out 5,000 pesetas, instead of 5,000 centimos. That way he would have stolen 90 bucks, which would make more sense.

I found a site that told me that 50 pesetas in 1973 would be worth 26 cents today. I found a site that told me what a 50 peseta coin from 1973 would be worth. And I found a site that told me what 50 pesetas from 1973 would be worth today in euros. I found all those sites. I could not find the site that Pat found.

Thank you again, Pat.

Archived