SASS Wire Forum

Completely theoretical holster question

Alpo

Leave us pretend that you have one of these holsters. A Bianchi 127 cross draw.

Vintage-Bianchi-127-Cross-Draw-Holster-C

You can't tell very well from the picture but the back is split, and there's a spring on both the front side and the back side of the holster at the split. That's what actually holds the gun. That safety strap is completely removable.

So you have this holster. And it is sized for a Smith & Wesson Model 39.

Do you believe that it would hold a Walther P38?

Second question, do you believe that it would hold a Luger - standard 4-inch 9 mm?

That is what the hero in a series of books carries - a Model 39 in that Bianchi holster.

In one book he goes to Mexico, and naturally he does not attempt to smuggle his gun into the country. He buys one while there on the black market. Carries it in that holster. In the book I'm currently reading he has gone to Spain, and again has not tried to smuggle his gun into the country. Buys a Luger on the black market and is planning to carry it in that Bianchi holster.

Understanding that we are researching a fictional situation, that holster is rather amorphous, and would most likely hold nearly anything that didn't have too long a barrel, probably all of the three mentioned.  How well or securely is another issue.  I can't see an operative who would need to pass customs taking the chance on bringing a holster.  He could get one of those more easily than the handgun.

If you search Bianchi for OWB holsterS for Luger and P38 you get no results 

15 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

I can't see an operative who would need to pass customs taking the chance on bringing a holster.  He could get one of those more easily than the handgun.

I agree. When he first aquired it I thought that was a dumb piece of literature..

He carried a Smith & Wesson 38. It got knocked out of his hands during a fight and hit a pipe and dented the barrel. He needed a new gun. So it goes to this place where he can get a gun without any paperwork. He tells the man that he had been using the Smith 38 but he was interested in the new Smith 9mm. After handling it for a little bit, and deciding he liked the feel, he pulled his coat open and stuck it in his shoulder holster to see how it fit. The salesman said, condescendingly, "You're not still using a shoulder holster in this day and age??" And that he sells him on the Bianchi cross draw belt holster.

When he pays for the two of them, he paid $600 for the pistol, which was about three times MSRP, and $150 for the holster, which again was three to four times MSRP. And there was no paperwork. "For that price I knew there wouldn't be."

I could see paying top dollar to get an unpapered pistol. He's a criminal. He doesn't want paper lying around showing he's got a gun. But the holster? In 1970? Just go down to Walmart and buy one, or any of your better sporting goods stores. No one cares who you are. No one does any paperwork on it. And it would cost $35 or $40.

Musta been a helluva pipe!

29 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Knocked out of his holster by what? I can’t imagine something with that much force.

Knocked out of his hand.

3 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Musta been a helluva pipe!

Yeah, that's what I thought.

He's hard on guns. In one book he went through four of them. The plane was hijacked, and he killed two of the hijackers, then buried his gun in the desert before they started walking out. Later he killed somebody else, so he dumped that gun in the bay. They had gone through the wall of an elevator into a bank vault, and it sounds like the cops are nearby, so he pulls his gun and his partner snatches it out of his hand and throws it down to the bottom of the elevator shaft. "No shooting!!!"

Archived