SASS Wire Forum

Just for Pat…

JD Lud

I think reading Pat’s Miata posts over the years (sorry non member lurker) made me get this….just picked up today and driving back to Nashville area.  

Gift for myself after moving from WA to TN just a few weeks ago to celebrate.  I might actually get to shoot now too!

F94607F3-401A-4EDB-B8E9-95DB4EE648BD.thumb.jpeg.bec2a214b4c86eaf88dd9a26dcb94ba1.jpeg

4 hours ago, JD Lud said:

I think reading Pat’s Miata posts over the years (sorry non member lurker) made me get this….just picked up today and driving back to Nashville area.  

Gift for myself after moving from WA to TN just a few weeks ago to celebrate.  I might actually get to shoot now too!

F94607F3-401A-4EDB-B8E9-95DB4EE648BD.thumb.jpeg.bec2a214b4c86eaf88dd9a26dcb94ba1.jpeg

Congrats, JD, from another fellow MX-5 owner! ('02 SE)  ^_^

How 'bout some details??  :)

image.jpeg.d9145e7aacc2501a87de1672b817dbcb.jpeg

image.jpeg.c95763bc4343c5b2b4f77e7ce3bbb56d.jpeg

image.jpeg.c86393e5313fd3c52983410188d487d1.jpeg

I’ll get some more pics but flew into Wilkes Barre airport in PN (through Newark which was a huge dump of an airport) to pick up a new 22 RF.  They had it priced 2k under MSRP as rising rates had them concerned if they didn’t sell before summer their 4 Miata’s would sit there until next year with their climate.  Closest dealer to me that had one was 4k over MSRP so I took a flight.

Havent even put the top down yet but rest of way home shortly.

10 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

@JD Lud

That’s a beauty! Congratulations! :D

I love my Miata (MX-5). Thank you for sharing. 
@Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967is right. How about some details…and more pictures. 

BAFFE391-328B-4413-86EC-79B4D3B77A22.thumb.jpeg.b0d015530ab17bfa78b3776d3b1e5b1e.jpeg

6D662F6F-E290-4DF7-9583-FDBF0B169052.thumb.jpeg.5efe809d422e1419e2b1a66d5ee4630d.jpeg

7562A494-16C1-4C23-BE36-83BE8B8D7164.thumb.jpeg.a2559da0e9b0f65d8c56be575703c1c5.jpeg

55D031DA-0361-44D0-8D62-8B60791F7D56.thumb.jpeg.2186248d0ef2fc72c571e6efa9f2bbec.jpeg

So, Pat... when ya pull the plug in a few weeks, are ya gonna trailer, ship, or drive 'er back east~?  :)

GORGEOUS color, by the way!!  ^_^

See?

That's why I don't like convertibles.

Look at all the pics of old farts sitting in somebody's ragtop.:D

(Especially the one that Hardpan posted:P.  That one looks creepy.)

Where I come from, crawling into feller's ride like that is a great way to get curb stomped- if not shot!:P

27 minutes ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

See?

Where I come from, crawling into feller's ride like that is a great way to get curb stomped- if not shot!:P

Who are you calling “old”?  :P

3 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

So, Pat... when ya pull the plug in a few weeks, are ya gonna trailer, ship, or drive 'er back east~?  :)

GORGEOUS color, by the way!!  ^_^

Thank you. 
I am seriously considering driving it across country then flying back to load the moving truck and do it again. ;)

Depending on how much stuff you are moving, a vehicle in the van has worked well for me twice, driving the other car. I will say they were corporate moves so I can't talk about cost.  Another move I rented a little van and moved all the stuff neither I (nor they) wanted them to move.

29 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Thank you. 
I am seriously considering driving it across country then flying back to load the moving truck and do it again. ;)

Road Trip!  YES~!!!   :D

2 hours ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

See?

A twinge o' jealousy there, Smuteye...?  :rolleyes:

By the way, those "ragtops" aren't "somebody's."  They're OURS.  And the grins are REAL~!  :D

Gitcherself one and join the fun~!!  :lol:  ^_^

image.png.35e1125f0abaa2204ed126e4459d4fd5.png

14 hours ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

JD Lud  come to the Tennessee State Match in Wartrace June 2-4 , only an hour from Nashville

Imis

Will be traveling for work this week and will miss but good to know that’s only 30 min away.  Will do some looking online, haven’t even set up any reloading gear since the move but it’s only been a few weeks.

got it home and in the garage after taking turns giving rides to the two younger kids and the wife.

I’ve tried to tell her it’s our anniversary present but I don’t think she’s buying that…..

9CF12121-20FE-4AAE-A25B-721AED0BDD9B.thumb.jpeg.97144eb131409d3c6ee88a61811a0692.jpeg

Where do you carry the gun cart? ;)

3 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Nice! How does that top work? Is it like “T” tops? Do they store in the trunk?

You just push the switch and hold it, takes about 10 seconds to go from open to closed or vice versa.  Fully automated once hit and I like the look with the top up.  Ive never liked how soft tops looked on some cars, and while the visibility and open air isn’t as much on the RF it’s more quiet, insulated, and protected.  

33 minutes ago, JD Lud said:

You just push the switch and hold it, takes about 10 seconds to go from open to closed or vice versa.  Fully automated once hit and I like the look with the top up.  Ive never liked how soft tops looked on some cars, and while the visibility and open air isn’t as much on the RF it’s more quiet, insulated, and protected.  

Does the top store in the truck area? Never mind....

Found this! Man, is this Cool!

Very sharp!

This is why the Miata is probably all the HP I should have…keep me from doing dumb things and even on the way home I could have got several tickets passing left lane campers.

1 hour ago, JD Lud said:

This is why the Miata is probably all the HP I should have…

Once you get that little roadster broke in and you put your foot down you are going to be surprised at the juice these cars have and they handle like they ride on rails. Also, they are very smooth on the open road. I cannot tell you how many times I have looked down at the speedo and was surprised how fast I was clipping along. 

Note: statements like the one above usually ruffle the feathers of hardcore (in their own minds) car guys and they just have to put you in your place…verbally. ;)

The guys that really get upset are the guys in loud fancy pickup trucks that just cannot handle a Miata blowing their doors off. It’s quite a sight to see…in the rear view mirror. :lol:

My wife is the sports car nut in our family.  For our 35th wedding anniversary I gave her a 2008 BMW Z4.   She babies that car and over 13 years later it still looks the same as the day she got it.   She still loves it!

Our nephews came out to visit and Aunt Sharon allowed them to drive it one day as they were going to play golf.

DsfanS.jpg

I put this front plate on her beemer when she first got it.

371y5l.jpg

32 minutes ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

My wife is the sports car nut in our family.  For our 35th wedding anniversary I gave her a 2008 BMW Z4.   She babies that car and over 13 years later it still looks the same as the day she got it.   She still loves it!

I do like like the looks of those BMW Z4’s. It’s funny, I don’t see them very often here in SoCal. I would think they would be more popular here. 

That’s a nice looking car. 

So my wife was lukewarm on the car but then tonight for our anniversary the weather cooperated and we drove with the top down to dinner and back and she had a whole new appreciation of the city lights and country sky stars on the way back.

I think she likes it :)

With a 13.0:1 compression ratio the MX-5's version of Mazda's "Skyactiv" engine oughtta be a screamer ~ heck, it has nearly 40 more horses than my '02, and that one's plenty quick.  

By the way ~ which transmissions and shifters did you fellas get?  :)

Mine is a 2006. It’s the Grand Touring model. 
It has the 6 speed paddle shift manual / automatic transmission. I drive it in auto most of the time.
It has the 2 liter 16 valve engine. 170 HP at 6700 rpm’s. 
It currently had 44,000 miles on it. 

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Mine is a 2006. It’s the Grand Touring model. 
It has the 6 speed paddle shift manual / automatic transmission. I drive it in auto most of the time.
It has the 2 liter 16 valve engine. 170 HP at 6700 rpm’s. 
It currently had 44,000 miles on it. 

Ver' nice, Pat ~ somehow I thought it was newer!  ^_^

Mine's an '02 SE, with a 6 speed stick and LSD rear end; 1.8L making 142 HP.

I call her Zelda....  :blush:

Manual trans 6 spd for me.  It’s 181 hp had me debating getting a Subaru BRZ to get an extra almost 50hp but no convertible option.

The MX-5 to me feels likes it’s going faster than it is which is a good thing for my speeding tickets and safety I guess while still having fun.  It has plenty of pep and can throw you back in most any gear.  

So far it seems about right for what power can be fun but not get you in too much trouble.

5 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Ver' nice, Pat ~ somehow I thought it was newer!  ^_^

Mine's an '02 SE, with a 6 speed stick and LSD rear end; 1.8L making 142 HP.

I call her Zelda....  :blush:

You have a nice roadster. Love that color! :)

I had a silver 2005 that I bought brand new and stupidly sold in 2013, but I was unemployed and needed money. I missed it every day since until July of 2020 when I spotted my little red demon while I casually perused convertibles online.
I was actually considering a brand new car, but was not at all happy with every car I found having black interiors. Black in the sun can make for some painful experiences. We had a Chrysler LeBaron once with a black interior. Never again. I decided to look at “used cars”.
So anyway, I did a search for “Miata tan interior” and went to “Images” and as I scrolled I saw my car. 

2006 Miata MX-5, very good condition, low miles, $12,000 firm.

Clicked the link and fell in love. 
It had 26,000 original miles on it. It was sold by a dealer called Car Mart LLC in Costa Mesa, CA. He only deals in high end or well taken car of sports cars. 
I went, looked it over, took it for a drive. He showed me the invoice where he had the car gone over by a reputable mechanic (Mazda dealer) and how all fluids were changed and the car was given “like new” status and I bought it. I didn’t even try to haggle as his price was firm and I did not want to lose this baby by walking away to consider the purchase. 
The first stop after buying it was to Goodyear for tires and another mechanical going over. I had 3 days to return it, no questions asked. 
3 of the guys that worked at Morrison Goodyear each individually told me if I didn’t want the car to let them know as they would buy it. It was kind of weird. I felt like I had one the lottery and strangers were trying to horn in on my winnings. Or perhaps it was like being a drug dealer…

Anyway, I got a great car and I love it. I would have to say the only thing about it that bugs me is the rock dings from driving in this $****y area. The underlying primer is light gray. I will remedy this when I get the heck out of here. 

Archived