SASS Wire Forum

medical question

Alpo

What would happen if you used a defibrillator on someone that was not having heart problems? You just kind of walked up behind him and went ka-ZAP?

Episode of Firefly. They have broken into the hospital disguised as ambulance attendants, and are heading for the pharmacy to rob it. They are pushing what are basically gurneys, except they are completely enclosed, because that's what you transport corpses in. This is how they're going to take the drugs when they rip off the pharmacy. And a doctor stops them wanting to know where they're taking the corpses, because the morge in the other direction. As the doctor is giving Mal grief, Zoe zaps him from behind with the defibrillator.

I understand it's television, and therefore fiction. But it made me wonder what would happen if that was done in real life. What would happen to the doctor? Would it stop his heart?

In the show he just dropped to the floor like they had hit him with a taser.

It interrupts the natural q waves of your hearts electric impulse generator.

It makes your heart stop until it's zapped again

The automatic defibrillators available today monitor the heart rhythm. If you are not in v-fib, it will not administer a shock. You can’t make it shock manually. If they would do that, then they wouldn’t have them hanging at airports and such where any bozo could grab one and light you up. These do not start your heart. They shock it into a normal sinus rhythm.

Good chance of putting him into fibrillation or potentially stopping his heart. Once when on the ambulance I thought I was completely clear, but as we hit a bump in the road my foot slipped and my boot was up against the gurney. Electricity goes through leather really well. Even with the insulation of the rubber soles to the floor it felt like I’d just kicked the electric fence. 

2 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

The automatic defibrillators available monitor the heart rhythm. If you are not in v-fib, it will not administer a shock. You can’t make it shock manually. If they epwould do that then they wouldn’t have the hanging is airports and such where any bozo could grab one and light you up. These do not start your heart. They shock it into a normal sinus rhythm.

This is how the ones I just finished training on worked. They monitor the heart, if they get a normal rhythm nothing happens, abnormal rhythm then they allow a shock.

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Archived