SASS Wire Forum

Need Darksider help/tips

Eyesa Horg

5 minutes ago, Doc McCoy, SASS #8381 said:

I usually use Ballistol and alcohol mix. Same ratio.  The alcohol evaporates quicker than water.  I use either mix at times.  My habit of alcohol is mostly based on use in the cap n ball where I don’t want any water residue in the chambers.  

Doc I've never tried mixing alcohol with it, should work. The best method for finding a good solvent for BP is to take a dirty carrier and try whatever product you are wondering about on a paper towel and give it a wipe if it comes off easily you are good to go, if you have to scrub try something else.

I once used hot black coffee on Shirttails carrier on her 73 because it was getting sticky. I just dumped it on the carrier at the unloading table and then wiped it off. Next stage she said that was the best that rifle ever ran.

kR

Hot coffee sounds great.  Any hot water is a splendid BP solvent.  

I know the Civil War reenactor cannon guys just pour hot water in it and dump it out, then they’re ready for supper while the infantry guys are still cleaning.

If I was single I might just wash the pistols in the kitchen sink anyway.  

When I started using FFg BP, I had a Marlin '94 in .45 Colt.  I used Big Lube 250gr. PRS bullets that I got from Springfield Slim.  I never had an extraction problem.  I always cleaned after each match with moose milk or murphy's mix.  Now I shoot .38WCF

• 1 month later...
On 5/25/2022 at 1:24 PM, Dead_Head said:

Eyesa Horg, 

Wagon Box Willy or I can anneal some .45 cases for you.  You really only need to do the rifle rounds.  

Eyesa, your brass is annealed to 750° Tempilaq.  I use strictly WInchester brass which is thinner than the Star Line you gave me and it works great annealed.  I simply wipe the frame above and below the carrier with Eezox to remove any blowback when I "clean" the rifle (Uberti Henry).  I shoot about 30+ matches a season and haven't had the carrier out in years.  I don't know if the Starline will expand as well as the Winchester does.  Full loads of 2F of course.

I'll bring the brass to the NH State. 

1 hour ago, Wagon Box Willy said:

Eyesa, your brass is annealed to 750° Tempilaq.  I use strictly WInchester brass which is thinner than the Star Line you gave me and it works great annealed.  I simply wipe the frame above and below the carrier with Eezox to remove any blowback when I "clean" the rifle (Uberti Henry).  I shoot about 30+ matches a season and haven't had the carrier out in years.  I don't know if the Starline will expand as well as the Winchester does.  Full loads of 2F of course.

Thank you so much. :D It's gotta be better than what I've been dealing with by a long shot! 

Much Obliged,

EH

On 5/26/2022 at 6:53 AM, Doc McCoy, SASS #8381 said:

I usually use Ballistol and alcohol mix. Same ratio.  The alcohol evaporates quicker than water.  I use either mix at times.  My habit of alcohol is mostly based on use in the cap n ball where I don’t want any water residue in the chambers.  

I missed this comment last week.  First I've heard of Ballistol and alcohol.  I shoot both BP and smokeless in my guns so I just use straight Ballistol for cleaning smokeless.  It takes longer and more patches than some cleaners, but does the job.  Patrick from Ballistol told me to put a coating of Ballistol in the bore (smokeless) and let it soak and penetrate first.  Now you've got me wanting to try some alcohol with it for smokeless and see what that does.   Although I do remember little cuts and nicks on my fingers stinging when I used to use PAM mix with alcohol in it.

10 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

I....  Now you've got me wanting to try some alcohol with it for smokeless and see what that does.   Although I do remember little cuts and nicks on my fingers stinging when I used to use PAM mix with alcohol in it.

I take a small squirt bottle of both Windex and one of Ballistol and 99.9% alcohol in my cart but I only shoot black.  I clean my revolvers the sink with plain water and final clean and rust prevent with Eezox.  I've moved away from any external use of Ballistol because they get slippery in the rain and only use my alcohol based moose milk in an emergency. My lubes are now just Eezox, Mobile One grease and Ballistol. 

21 hours ago, Wagon Box Willy said:

Eyesa,

I just finished up annealing 3071 pieces of 45 colt brass (by wt) plus your 120.  Even with the machine it's long and tedious work.  Don't know how I did this manually before the Annealeez.  All for the love of black powder!

Now I have to size and lube my big lubes, which I cast last week, before I can start loading.  Plus anneal, size and lube my 45-70's for plainsman, the Capt Morgan BP shoot, and some long range.  I should have done all of this over the winter ;).

3 minutes ago, Wagon Box Willy said:

Eyesa,

I just finished up annealing 3071 pieces of 45 colt brass (by wt) plus your 120.  Even with the machine it's long and tedious work.  Don't know how I did this manually before the Annealeez.  All for the love of black powder!

Now I have to size and lube my big lubes, which I cast last week, before I can start loading.  Plus anneal, size and lube my 45-70's for plainsman, the Capt Morgan BP shoot, and some long range.  I should have done all of this over the winter ;).

That's a lot !!!!  I haven't been doing my 45-70, so far no issues, but I only use them in the Plainsman side matches.

On 5/26/2022 at 6:48 AM, Kid Rich said:

Like I said Ballistol is a POOR solvent for BP by itself, you would be better off using straight water.

kR

THIS ^^^

You need to mix ballistol with water. Ballistol alone doesn’t work. 

On 5/26/2022 at 6:53 AM, Doc McCoy, SASS #8381 said:

What kind of alcohol?  Rubbing, isopropyl, or technical?

On 7/6/2022 at 4:15 PM, Sedalia Dave said:

What kind of alcohol?  Rubbing, isopropyl, or technical?

Isopropyl, 70% to 90%.  Sometimes it’s whatever I can find.  Never ethanol, that’s for later! :D

19 hours ago, Doc McCoy, SASS #8381 said:

Isopropyl, 70% to 90%.  Sometimes it’s whatever I can find.  Never ethanol, that’s for later! :D

Andy, I'm thinking that it is a good use for the pink stuff ;)

Archived