SASS Wire Forum

My dog brought me breakfast

Woke up this morning, made the bed, did my morning routine, and as I was coming out of the bathroom my dog jumped into the middle of the bed, sat down, and barked.  I looked up to see her sitting there just wagging her butt off, ears straight up, and the biggest doggie smile ever you did see.  She was just quivering with  happiness and so proud of what she brought me for breakfast.  She was sitting there wanting me to tell her what a good dog she was, which I did, and to accept her gift:  the butt and both hind legs of a cottontail rabbit.

She was disappointed when I smuggled it out to the trash can and began to pout....right up until I flipped her over and rubbed her tummy, massaged everything made of dog and told her what a good girl she is.

I found a few of the  remains in the yard, probably the victim of one of the owls or hawks in the neighborhood.  She won't get to go out alone for a spell.  At 14 pounds she'd be a fine meal for one of those birds.

Good girl!  Good little dog!.

we had great horned owls nest over our driveway a number of years ago , my wife kept complainin of the bloody bits of meat on her windshield every morning , i think they were paying her rent for the use of the tree because those bits were always dead center where she would look out , 

Used to have a cat that would bring my mom a present quite often. Always (almost) alive. Snakes, chipmunks, baby bunnies. Always a fun time. :D

Mmm..rabbit!

My dog brought me a pigeon once, but didn't tell me about it. The poor thing was quivering under the home entertainment system. I snagged it and released it in the yard. No harm, no fowl? He-he-he

my friends cats would deposit gifts in his shoes overnight - had to be careful to check when dressing in the morning - i still check my shoes when i stay overnight at his place , his wife swears the cats dont do it there but once you get surprised you never forget it , 

20 hours ago, Rip Snorter said:

The cat I had as a boy would leave portions of critters on the back door mat.  I always thought he was showing his value to the household.

Since he left you portions, he considers himself the alpha of the household. The alpha eats first. The rest of the pack gets the leftovers.

If he considered you the alpha he would have brought you the whole critter.

The best mouser we even had was a tiny little chihuahua mix.  We were in an apartment in Pekin, Illinois and come Fall the mice came inside from the vacant lot next door.

Dog didn't like that and killed one.  We made a big to-do over it and in the next week she killed 22 more.  Not a drop of blood.  She'd catch them and shake them, breaking their necks, then she'd leave them by the back door.  I opened the door to take them out to the trash can and she took the hint.  All most all of them after that were taken out to a big old stump in the vacant lot and stuffed into a hole under a root.

Every one she killed got her a special treat and a rub down by Momma.

On 5/24/2022 at 1:19 PM, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Woke up this morning, made the bed, did my morning routine, and as I was coming out of the bathroom my dog jumped into the middle of the bed, sat down, and barked.  I looked up to see her sitting there just wagging her butt off, ears straight up, and the biggest doggie smile ever you did see.  She was just quivering with  happiness and so proud of what she brought me for breakfast.  She was sitting there wanting me to tell her what a good dog she was, which I did, and to accept her gift:  the butt and both hind legs of a cottontail rabbit.

She was disappointed when I smuggled it out to the trash can and began to pout....right up until I flipped her over and rubbed her tummy, massaged everything made of dog and told her what a good girl she is.

I found a few of the  remains in the yard, probably the victim of one of the owls or hawks in the neighborhood.  She won't get to go out alone for a spell.  At 14 pounds she'd be a fine meal for one of those birds.

Good girl!  Good little dog!.

Good to be careful with your little dog. I rented a room from a cowboy in the Ash Fork Area back in 2005 or so. He had a wolf, a half wolf, a half coyote and.....

a Pekingese. IT was hilarious because they would all let her eat first and she was really old.

Anyway... The house was out there... about 8 miles down a dirt road, and Ash Fork is already isolated. He told me that a few years earlier the little dog had snuck out and vanished. She was gone for a week or so. He eventually got a call from a vet a good distance away who said someone had found her wandering in the high desert; her hair all matted with blood. The vet said she had puncture wounds on her back but it seemed like the puffy hair saved her. Said the wounds looked like from a bird of prey.

Then there's this:

Archived