SASS Wire Forum

Just learn't today that a drugged up a'ole that  admitted on social media that he was going to drive as fast as he could thru a stop sign at an intersection  has been given a miserly 8 years with possible parole in 2023. This is after he killed a good friend of mine & his wife had to have the lower part of her arm amputated at the scene after their car was hit & rolled ..this deliberate act happened in Sept 020, a good man taken early & a legal system that I wouldn't give the time of day..& they wonder why people get pissed off !!

Our prayers are being sent.

As a side note:

That's what's wrong with the justice system. 

Different sentences for the same type of crime, along with the wrong degree of sentence for levels of crime. 

Let me elaborate if you will. 

A person runs a red light and someone dies as a result. In one state that yields an 8 year sentence; however, in other states it may be 10, 20 or any different time frame. This insinuates that human life is either more valuable or less valuable depending on where you live. It also can imply that the status of the person who committed the act (ie. celebrity) should be considered. 

The other issue is the level of the crime. 

Even in the same state, a criminal who robs a bank, no one is hurt, and they are caught may get a heavier sentence than say a punk who tries to rob a tourist and knifes them in the act, even though the victim doesn't die. 

Sorry to ramble this morning,  but I've always been irritated in some firm at how justice is meted in our society. 

3 hours ago, Painted Mohawk SASS 77785 said:

Just learn't today that a drugged up a'ole that  admitted on social media that he was going to drive as fast as he could thru a stop sign at an intersection  has been given a miserly 8 years with possible parole in 2023. This is after he killed a good friend of mine & his wife had to have the lower part of her arm amputated at the scene after their car was hit & rolled ..this deliberate act happened in Sept 020, a good man taken early & a legal system that I wouldn't give the time of day..& they wonder why people get pissed off !!

Our condolences on the untimely loss of your friend and the harm caused to his wife. Prayers up.

Eyesa & Ellie

1 minute ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

In Chicago he’d have been sentenced to 30 days of rehab.

Yep and New York and California too!:angry:

1 hour ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Thanks.

My point exactly. 

2 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

2 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

But in California he'd be released within three days to "avoid overcrowding."  And directed toward agencies to help him "regain his financial footing," and handed a ballot on the way out.  Possibly with his "choices" already selected for him.  :ph34r:

I think that an 8-year sentence for negligent homicide is probably fairly normal most places. Fatalities arising from impaired or reckless driving are usually classified as "negligent homicide" under most state laws.

The issue wouldn't be with the "justice system". It would be with legislatures, which define crimes and set sentencing ranges. Each state has its own authority in those matters.

6 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

In CA it just depends how full the prisons are-- and they are always full!

People mostly get what they vote for.  Sadly, the rest of us get screwed! The situation will change ONLY when enough people get sick and tired of the lawlessness to vote in those who will uphold the law, and where the law is deficient, will change it.  It was that way in Montana 125 years ago.  3-7-77! :excl:

2 hours ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

I think that an 8-year sentence for negligent homicide is probably fairly normal most places. Fatalities arising from impaired or reckless driving are usually classified as "negligent homicide" under most state laws.

The issue wouldn't be with the "justice system". It would be with legislatures, which define crimes and set sentencing ranges. Each state has its own authority in those matters.

This shouldn’t have been tried as a “negligent” homicide.  The offender publicly announced that he intended to run full bore through the intersection! That’s reckless homicide!!  Some form of premeditation was involved!

4 hours ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

You raised a point that was mentioned to me, from what I'm told 'dangerous driving was the relevant part as reckless was  for  whatever reason not involved..this happened in a country town of 12,000 people ,Greg was highly respected. & will be sorely missed.

1 hour ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

This shouldn’t have been tried as a “negligent” homicide.  The offender publicly announced that he intended to run full bore through the intersection! That’s reckless homicide!!  Some form of premeditation was involved!

Thanks Blackwater that's exactly what I think....

A friend used to state: "The Legal Industry NEEDS Crime!".

As I watch the trends away from protecting innocent citizens, I am sad to say he was right.

there are way too many inequities in the legal system in any country , it often seems that the good get ill treated and the bad rewarded no matter how much punishment that is dealt out for their offenses , so often in the wake of the event the system deals with it as if all are the same when we all know they are not , particularly for the victims and their family/friends , 

i get it that the law needs to be based on an equitable and defined base line , but we all know very well that criminals dont behave in that realm , it would be far better if they did in that you could deliver justice fairly , we would be lawless in its absence and vigilantism has proven just as unfair but sometimes i think it might be more just  , im not condoning nor encouraging , just reflecting , 

Archived