SASS Wire Forum

The Dancing Plague

Sedalia Dave

Dancing mania

Dancing mania (also known as dancing plague, choreomania, St. John's Dance, tarantism and St. Vitus' Dance) was a social phenomenon that occurred primarily in mainland Europe between the 14th and 17th centuries. It involved groups of people dancing erratically, sometimes thousands at a time. The mania affected adults and children who danced until they collapsed from exhaustion and injuries. One of the first major outbreaks was in Aachen, in the Holy Roman Empire (in modern-day Germany), in 1374, and it quickly spread throughout Europe; one particularly notable outbreak occurred in Strasbourg in 1518 in Alsace, also in the Holy Roman Empire (now France).

The mysterious case of dance mania that broke out in Medieval Europe

img_2284.jpg?fit=671%2C505&ssl=1

Strong Witchcraft, I’ll bet. ;)

I recall one of my middle school teachers telling us about this in Social Studies. I also recall a few girls in the class saying something like “This would be so cool! I wish it would happen here” and then bantering amongst themselves and Ms Moran slapping her pointer on the desk and chastising them for being shallow and unfeeling. 
Ms. Moran was a force to be reckoned with, let me tell you. 
I seem to recall her saying that there were some that thought witchcraft was involved but that anyone voicing that opinion was soundly scolded by the church. 

OOPS...Put the wrong teacher's name.

If you haven't heard this one, it may explain how it started. Some lyrics are provided below. 

FEEL FREE TO GO AHEAD AND BREAK OUT IN DANCE. :P

Snip-it_1653393433568.thumb.jpg.cf50747dec4c37f557a8b061abec9c22.jpg

That's an old article. It's a well known fact as of today that there was in fact a time traveller named Widder who went back with his guitar. He would pop in from place to place and start whoopin on his git-fiddle. The folks there, not having heard such as that before just broke out in dance. The theory for the erratic movement is they were trying to keep up with his rhythm but he kept changing it on them.

46 minutes ago, Tennessee williams said:

That's an old article. It's a well known fact as of today that there was in fact a time traveller named Widder who went back with his guitar. He would pop in from place to place and start whoopin on his git-fiddle. The folks there, not having heard such as that before just broke out in dance. The theory for the erratic movement is they were trying to keep up with his rhythm but he kept changing it on them.

giphy.gif.aa5940e5efac149cee9d658e3365b1bd.gif

Footloose sez I. AKA Kevin Bacon Disease. :lol:

Archived