SASS Wire Forum

Weird thing while driving...

We were three hours north of us in Sulphur, OK, judging BBQ. A misty rain cold front came in, and it was only 61 degrees when we left. As we dove south, I noticed the temperature creep up a little, then it jumped to 82 degrees. I commented to Carole that it looked like the leading edge of the storm was above us, In just a few minutes the temperature jumped to 93 degrees, where it held until we got home. I have never noticed driving in front of a cold front before. Anyone ever experienced this?

Here in central Texas it is not uncommon.  You can always tell where a cold front is by the rain line, as well as the drop in temperature.  Often that drop (or increase if headed out of the cold air) can be from a few degrees to 20 - 30 degrees.  Several years ago I flew from Austin where temp was 98 about 3Pm (September) got off the plane in Amarillo to snow, sleet and temp of 25.  I chuckled at the folks who did not check the weather beforehand as I slipped on my full length leather duster (weighs about 30 lbs) snapped the straps around thighs and strolled to the rental car line.....

It’s all good till the funnel cloud shows up.

In 2019, I drove to a match one morning about 64 miles away. It was around 50 when I left, and stayed that way all the way to the range. On the way back that afternoon, it was still in the mid-50's at the range, but maybe 20 miles along on the way home, it rapidly dropped to 19 degrees, then back up to 51 at about the 34 mile mark. "Riding the Storm".

*I don't have that good of a memory, but I posted it on Facebook three years ago and just looked it up.

Temperature changes are a weird phenomenon especially when you experience it first hand. 

The instance that comes to mind occurred right here in Florida.

The temperature was in the mid-80's when all of a sudden a loud banging sound was heard on the roof.

Looking outside we could see that it was starting to hail, nickel sized pieces. 

The Camry was in the garage; however, the Tacoma was outside as I was building a storage rack where it normally is parked. 

With no time to move the tools and equipment we hurriedly tried to cover the truck with thick blankets to protect it from damage. 

The gist of this post is that in a matter of minutes the temperature dropped to near 45 degrees and before we could finish covering the truck we were both freezing and had to get back inside to get warm. 

In no time the skies cleared and the temperature was back to the 80's.

The event was very scary at the time. 

Nature is unpredictable. 

You’re missing out on the phenomenon unless you’ve experienced it on a motorcycle!!

21 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

You’re missing out on the phenomenon unless you’ve experienced it on a motorcycle!!

Funny, I was just about to make a similar comment. :lol:

1 hour ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

Back in Indiana, I remember a 60 degree drop in 4 hours!:wacko:

Montana has the record for the greatest temperature change in the shortest time, short of a volcanic eruption anyway. On January 11th, 1980, at the weather monitoring station at the Great Falls International Airport, the temperature rose from -32 to 15 above in seven minutes. Forty seven degrees in under 420 seconds - many people can hold their breath that long. We also have the record for the most extreme twelve hour change, Fairfield, 1924, the temperature dropped from 63 degrees at noon to -21 at midnight. Eighty four degrees in twelve hours. But wait, there's more - we also have the record for the most extreme 24 hour change. Loma, 1972, the temperature rose from -54 to 49 above in 24 hours, 103 degrees. And lastly, we have the record for the greatest temperature range recorded in any of the fifty states. January 20, 1954, a temperature of minus 70 was recorded on Rogers Pass, and on July 5th, 1937, a temperature of 117 was recorded at Medicine Lake, for a temperature spread of a whopping 187 degrees.

59 minutes ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

420 seconds - many people can hold their breath that long

20 seconds, certainly. 42 seconds, probably. 420 seconds? I believe you've been drinking your bath water.

I'm not saying that it cannot be done, you understand. It's the "many people can do it" part that I disbelieve.

I have been out working in shirtsleeves and sweating and had it get so cold I had to take refuge in the truck and finally cold enough that I had to head home.  All in the space of a couple of hours.  These days I keep a jacket and gloves in the truck.  Can't trust Montana weather!

45 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Funny, I was just about to make a similar comment. :lol:

45 minutes ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

I have, but it was only about a 45 degree drop!

I’ve had hot to cold, hot to cold and wet, dry to wet and back to dry, and cold to hot a time or two.

Several years ago, I was going through a series of rehabilitation sessions and was attending college classes at the same time.

It was a particularly nice spring morning with temperatures in the low sixties, so I chose to take the bike to class, (I didn’t check the weather report) and I headed out around 10:00 am. My two classes were in the basements of adjoining buildings, so I didn’t see the weather changing. 

At three in the afternoon when I got out of the second class, the temperature had dropped thirty-five degrees and it was snowing big wet flakes mixed with sleet and the roads were completely iced over!  I was just glad I had brought leather and there was a set of chaps and a pair of mittens in my saddle bags!

It took me three hours to get home. The trip included two stops. One at a roadside convenience store for a big chili dog and a coke and another at a dive biker bar for some hot stew.

It’s only thirty miles from the house to the campus and there were several miles where my boots were skimming along the surface of the icy road.

Never leave in the rain and NEVER leave without leather!!

7 minutes ago, Alpo said:

20 seconds, certainly. 42 seconds, probably. 420 seconds? I believe you've been drinking your bath water.

I'm not saying that it cannot be done, you understand. It's the "many people can do it" part that I disbelieve.

That’s seven minutes!  I once held my breath for just under three minutes while snorkeling and my eyes were bloodshot for several days!!

3 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

I’ve had hot to cold, hot to cold and wet, dry to wet and back to dry, and cold to hot a time or two.

Several years ago, I was going through a series of rehabilitation sessions and was attending college classes at the same time.

It was a particularly nice spring morning with temperatures in the low sixties, so I chose to take the bike to class, (I didn’t check the weather report) and I headed out around 10:00 am. My two classes were in the basements of adjoining buildings, so I didn’t see the weather changing. 

At three in the afternoon when I got out of the second class, the temperature had dropped thirty-five degrees and it was snowing big wet flakes mixed with sleet and the roads were completely iced over!  I was just glad I had brought leather and there was a set of chaps and a pair of mittens in my saddle bags!

It took me three hours to get home. The trip included two stops. One at a roadside convenience store for a big chili dog and a coke and another at a dive biker bar for some hot stew.

It’s only thirty miles from the house to the campus and there were several miles where my boots were skimming along the surface of the icy road.

Never leave in the rain and NEVER leave without leather!!

Dam' near froze a time or two in biking days.  The wildest experience was in northern Illinois.  Beautiful day, happy as a clam blasting along when I hit an absolute cloud of bugs.  Sticky yellow goo all over my leather and face shield.  Had to pull off because I couldn't see.  Nasty cleanup.  

I used to be able to do right around 4 minutes on a bounce dive if I hyperventilated.  I've read about exceptional folks who can do more.

11 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Kate Winslet did 7 minutes, 14 seconds, ON FILM, for Avatar 2. Tom Cruise did a little over 6 minutes for a Mission Impossible film a few years ago. Free divers and abalone divers train to hold their breath for several minutes, up to ten minutes in some cases.

12 minutes ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

Kate Winslet did 7 minutes, 14 seconds, ON FILM, for Avatar 2. Tom Cruise did a little over 6 minutes for a Mission Impossible film a few years ago. Free divers and abalone divers train to hold their breath for several minutes, up to ten minutes in some cases.

Generally brain cells begin to die after 4-5 minutes. This might explain Cruise.

A free diver holds the world's record:

Most of us have seen how long we can hold our breath underwater - but Budimir Šobat (Croatia) had proven he's unrivaled at the skill. On 27 March 2021, he broke the record for the longest time breath held voluntarily (male) with a staggering time of 24 minutes 37.36 seconds. :blink:

24 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

Dam' near froze a time or two in biking days. 

When I first glanced at your post, I read that as bikini. And I was thinking, "Well yeah, you go riding down the road on a motorcycle wearing a bikini and it's liable to get cold".

Then I had a mental picture of you in a bikini, Snicker.gif.7a62071a130c45211be1c94ae99f3e8a.gif and went back and read the sentence again.

2 minutes ago, Alpo said:

When I first glanced at your post, I read that as bikini. And I was thinking, "Well yeah, you go riding down the road on a motorcycle wearing a bikini and it's liable to get cold".

Then I had a mental picture of you in a bikini, Snicker.gif.7a62071a130c45211be1c94ae99f3e8a.gif and went back and read the sentence again.

Worst I ever did was Speedos, would not do that now, tho I weigh the same.  Different effect! ;)

Cop “License and registration please”

Okie “Did you see that dang freak storm? One minute nothin and then, Bang! 
Cop “You drove through a car wash. Step out of the car, sir”

The coldest I have ever been on a motorcycle was a day where I was not prepared, no helmet, unlined leather jacket and fingerless gloves, I rode up to the Malibu hills on Mulholland Hwy to The Rock Store on a sunny Saturday morning. It was in the low 70’s. 
I got to the Rock Store and there were no bikes there except two guys on touting bikes. Usually on a Spring Saturday morning there would be 100-200 bikes there. 
I went into the store to grab a beer and some smokes and the lady said “Where are you riding from?”

I told her “Hawthorne”. It was about 45 miles from home to the Rock Store. 
She said “Honey, don’t you know about the storm coming in?”

I told her that I didn’t and she told me that the best I could do is toss that beer and head home. A big storm was coming. 
By the time I reached Pacific Coast Highway the temps had dropped to about 45 and the wind and rain was just amazing. 
The rain drops on my forehead felt like bee stings. I went yo a souvenir shop and bought a couple bandannas to cover my face and forehead and I kept going. 
I got home about an hour later and I was beyond freezing. My wife ran me a tub of lukewarm water that felt to me like it was boiling. It took me hours to warm up. 
I have ridden bikes since in low temps in the teens and I have never been as cold as I was that day. 
I will ride in cold, rain, heat, sun, but I won’t ride if there’s ice on the roads, but I am always prepared. I learned a hard lesson that day. 
Watch the weather and be prepared!

17 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

The coldest I have ever been on a motorcycle...

I was riding back from Missoula about 25 years ago, and after the sun set, it got a lot colder than I thought it would. Unprepared, no jacket, etc., because it was only a two hour trip. I got to East Helena, ten miles or less from home, and turned in to the parking lot of the plant I worked at around midnight, went upstairs to the locker room, got undressed, turned on a bunch of showers in the shower room, and stood under the hot water for probably 45 minutes before I got out, dressed, and did the final 9 or 10 minutes home. :lol:

Archived