SASS Wire Forum

Selling Primers to locals how much $

12 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

No I won't.

I sell them to friends.

If you doubt my word, ask those in Texas that received Fed Primers as shooter prizes from me. I never sold South American primers that had a realized failure rate of nearly 10% for $100/1k.

Phantom

Wow, still gotta be nasty on here, don't you?

Those Argentine primers did NOT have a failure rate of 10%! And I didn't FORCE anyone to buy them. It was their choice, and I told them I couldn't vouch for them. 

But that's why I only handle Federals now. 

On 8/8/2022 at 9:42 AM, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

I've been selling to SASS members and Clubs (Raffle prizes), for between $55 and $70ish.

Phantom

Oh?

I'm coming to Colorado this month. Will you sell me several cases at that price? I sell them at my cost to shooters at matches! 

Are they Federals?

Those Argentine primers are the ones in the green & yellow box? I bought 3000 small pistol about a year ago, and don't remember any problems with them right off - certainly not ten out of a hundred. :blink:

It’s a shame that folks will slam Tell Sackett for trying to do a good thing. I believe Tell when he said he was selling at his cost, trying to help folks out that were short on primers. Tell does not need to make a buck on primers. He said pretty plainly up-front that he could not/would not guarantee them. He was trying to do a service to fellow shooters and got some grief for it. I applaud his effort. 

if you have primers to share, you should be sharing them with those that don’t. It wouldn’t  be much fun to go to a match by yourself! If you feel the need to make a profit then do so. But there is absolutely no need to belittle anybody for trying to help out. 

40 minutes ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

Those Argentine primers are the ones in the green & yellow box? I bought 3000 small pistol about a year ago, and don't remember any problems with them right off - certainly not ten out of a hundred. :blink:

We did have a failure at 10/100.

57 minutes ago, Tell Sackett SASS 18436 said:

Wow, still gotta be a jerk on here, don't you?

Those Argentine primers did NOT have a failure rate of 10%! And I didn't FORCE anyone to buy them. It was their choice, and I told them I couldn't vouch for them. 

But that's why I only handle Federals now. 

But thanks for letting me know I'm not your friend. The feeling is mutual.

You're a Cowboy Shooter that I've run across at various matches. We don't say boo to each other...and yet you think I should consider you a friend???? Can you tell me my wife and kid's names? Have you ever been invited over to our house...have we ever been invited over to your house????

What in the he$$ has happened to us???  You and most of the folks here on the Wire are not my friends...sorry...and I'm not your/their friend cuz YOU/THEY DON'T KNOW ME.

Our society is going to hell in a handbasket...

OY!!!!

Phantom

Over the past 5 or so years, I  "accumulated" (hoarded)a real lot of Federal SPPs.  I realized that without anyone to shoot with, they didn't have much value to me.  So I gave away a few K, donated some to raffles, and sold some to friends for whatever price I had paid for them (mostly less than $30/K).  I didn't want, or need, to make it into a profit earning business.  To me, having my friends continue to show up and shoot with me was better than $$$ profit. 

But that is just me.   

25 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Over the past 5 or so years, I  "accumulated" (hoarded)a real lot of Federal SPPs.  I realized that without anyone to shoot with, they didn't have much value to me.  So I gave away a few K, donated some to raffles, and sold some to friends for whatever price I had paid for them (mostly less than $30/K).  I didn't want, or need, to make it into a profit earning business.  To me, having my friends continue to show up and shoot with me was better than $$$ profit. 

But that is just me.   

Do you really think...or has it proven out that without your altruism that you would have been the only person shooting at your club matches??

Do you believe that those in the gun business should give away product?

Do you know what Fed Primers cost dealers these days?

Do you give excess "inventory" to others in need?? 

Phantom (who deep down really wishes he was a friend to the masses...like on FB)

1 hour ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Do you really think...or has it proven out that without your altruism that you would have been the only person shooting at your club matches??

Do you believe that those in the gun business should give away product?

Do you know what Fed Primers cost dealers these days?

Do you give excess "inventory" to others in need?? 

Phantom (who deep down really wishes he was a friend to the masses...like on FB)

I think it is pretty easy to over-think things here on the Wire.  By the time everybody contributes their thoughts, it seems inevitable that there will be disagreements, and even quarrels. 

As you've said many times here, the disagreements are not necessarily a bad thing. 

So I just speak my mind, and I respect you for speaking yours and sharing  your knowledge, which seems  substantial. 

Maybe some future level of respectful friendship will grow from that, as it has here with others.  But also maybe not, and thats OK too.  I won't really lose sleep over it.  I don't think either of us is direly in need of more friends. 

But getting to your point, here are my responses to your questions. in order:

No.

No.

Yes.

Yes.

Best of health to you and do keep provoking us to think beyond our comfort zone.   

Tell Sackett had quite a few cases of primers at the last match I attended in Parker, KS. I bought several as did other folks there. I know plenty of us were happy to get these primers, Federal primers even. I certainly appreciate Tell Sackett taking the extra time to make this happen for us. So a hearty Thank you, Tell! :D

Are primers priced higher than they were three years ago? Sure, so is everydurnthing else. I'll just pass on a nice streak dinner and slide that money over to a primer purchase. Easy-peasy. ;)

On 8/8/2022 at 9:42 AM, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

I've been selling to SASS members and Clubs (Raffle prizes), for between $55 and $70ish.

Phantom

Pardon me for the misunderstanding. You said you sell to SASS MEMBERS. I thought in that respect I qualified. You didn't say you only sell to friends!  

I forgot to mention they weren't for ME! I have plenty for myself: I paid too much for a lot of primers early on so I kept those for myself and sell the less expensive ones-sometimes at a loss. But then I'm not a business man. I thought if you would sell me some I could pass along an even better price for a while.

And unlike you I sell to anyone who wants and needs primers. Seems like a good idea. Never saw any reason to discriminate.

11 hours ago, Hoss said:

It’s a shame that folks will slam Tell Sackett for trying to do a good thing. I believe Tell when he said he was selling at his cost, trying to help folks out that were short on primers. Tell does not need to make a buck on primers. He said pretty plainly up-front that he could not/would not guarantee them. He was trying to do a service to fellow shooters and got some grief for it. I applaud his effort. 

if you have primers to share, you should be sharing them with those that don’t. It wouldn’t  be much fun to go to a match by yourself! If you feel the need to make a profit then do so. But there is absolutely no need to belittle anybody for trying to help out. 

Bingo!!

I figured that out early on Hoss! Wouldn't be much fun out there shooting by myself! And I heard so many complaints that there weren't any primers to be had...

I can afford to buy and sell the primers at cost, so I do. When prices drop, so will mine. If they drop enough, I won't need to do this anymore.

I look forward to that day.

10 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

We did have a failure at 10/100.

How was this testing done? 

many sass shooters have tuned guns that will only reliably fire Federal primers.  Many others have stock guns that will light off anything. Heck I have a pocket pistol that has a long firing pin. It frequently perforates the primer. I suspect if I used no powder or primer and set the bullet all the way in the force of the hammer spring (which I think came from a 58 Buick) would drive it out! 

1 hour ago, Tell Sackett SASS 18436 said:

Pardon me for the misunderstanding. You said you sell to SASS MEMBERS. I thought in that respect I qualified. You didn't say you only sell to friends!  

I forgot to mention they weren't for ME! I have plenty for myself: I paid too much for a lot of primers early on so I kept those for myself and sell the less expensive ones-sometimes at a loss. But then I'm not a business man. I thought if you would sell me some I could pass along an even better price for a while.

And unlike you I sell to anyone who wants and needs primers. Seems like a good idea. Never saw any reason to discriminate.

You're right - I should have been more precise. Guess I didn't think that someone (SASS Shooter), would be wanting to act as a distribution network for my primers.

Phantom

5 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Uhhhh...shot gun. Counted failures.

Firearms ignite Fed, Win and CCI.

Ain't me first rodeo;)

Phantom

Didn’t know he had shotgun primers. 

oops, just re-read. Shot guns not shotgun. Mea culpa. 

how many rounds ? 

15 hours ago, Tell Sackett SASS 18436 said:

Wow, ...

I bought a few from Tell Sackett to test. He was upfront about them, and I have not had a problem. BUT, I bought them to use in my pistols so that my Federal Primers wouldn't disappear as fast.

48 minutes ago, Itchy Trigger said:

I bought a few from Tell Sackett to test. He was upfront about them, and I have not had a problem. BUT, I bought them to use in my pistols so that my Federal Primers wouldn't disappear as fast.

Exactly! I said I recommended  them for monthly match, and save the Feds for annuals!

There are people and storefronts, gun show vendors  and dealers I will remember after this "crises" (if there ever is an end)
Some, due to their attitudes and practices in these dark days, will never get my business in either good or bad days again.
You have the right to run your business as you see fit..I have the right to not use it and let others know .

Without getting into any discussion on the Argentine primers, I met up with Tell yesterday and picked up a bunch of primers in order to bring them up to Comin at Cha.  I'll be arriving on the 16th and will be delivering the primers to Waimea for him to sell at his booth.  They are almost entirely Federals, both regular and some match.  There are some Remington as well.  Prices will run between $100-$115/ 1000.  Price varied depending on what Tell was able to get them at after paying shipping and hazmat.  Prices marked on each box.  Hopefully this will keep some folks shooting who haven't been able to source primers.

Johnny

On 5/23/2022 at 10:57 AM, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

I'm getting out of cowboy shooting. Id' like to sell my stash of primers to the local shooters.

What would be a reasonable price for large and small pistol primers for 1,000?

I think this thread has been Hi-jacked.

Archived