SASS Wire Forum

Selling Primers to locals how much $

Midway shows Winchester USA Ready large pistol or small pistol at 79.99/1000

Federal Large pistol magnum at 99.99/1000, large pistol at 89.99/1000, small pistol magnum at 79.99/1000

CCI small pistol at 89.99/1000, Large pistol magnum at 79.99/1000

Brownells is similar.

Powder Valley is about 75/1000 for most brands/types

Of course none are currently available.

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Sorry to hear you are retiring from CAS.  I would price them at the best prices you see at the biggest online retailers like Brownells, MidwayUSA, Natchez etc.  You will be doing them a favor due to no shipping, hazmat, or tax.  Plus actually having them.  If they think that is too much, then they may find themselves shooting .22's before prices maybe come down somewhat.

Reasonable is what they were selling for when they were in stock. Normal right now is closer to 100.00/1000 if you can find them. Kind of depends on how long ago you bought them and if you need the money, or just want to give some of your shooting buddies a good deal. 

100/K seems to be going rate. And I’m sure you will have buyers at that price, especially with no tax/shipping etc. But…..if you have 35/K in them, selling to Pards at cost would be a nice thing to do. I sold 3K to a teacher shooter for 33/K back when they were really stupid, (in the 300/K range) 

For me part of it depends on how much you have. If I had a substantial number to get rid of I'd prefer to split them up to more people as opposed to someone wanting every primer you've got. If I'm giving someone a really good deal it's for them to continue shooting matches, not so they can flip them for $100. I could do that myself. I've sold a couple of thousand to friends for $40. Before Christmas I put 2,000 primers in a plastic grocery bag and quickly put them in the shooting cart of a couple that I enjoy seeing out shooting together. I said Merry Christmas but don't mention it t o anyone. 

I was asked a couple years ago from a friend about this very thing.. I had some Federal small pistol..

Like now you couldn't find them anyplace.. I told him I would check  4 different dealers prices.. (all of them out of stock of course) and average their prices.. he agreed.. said it seemed fair..

We did business..

Why not locate a few new shooters and sell them for what you paid for them?

Yes they are worth twice what you paid for them but locally we have more than one new shooter that cannot shoot because they cannot find any primers at any cost. 

Good Karma is always repaid 10 fold.

There was a time when primers could not be found.  While one's favorite primer might not be available, there are VERY often usable primers available now (right now Natchez and Midway both have CCI small rifle, which is what I'm currently using).  People may not want to pay the higher price due to hazmat and shipping, but that is their choice.

• 2 months later...

Scheel's in Great Falls last week had the shelves full, but only CCI, Cheddite, and Federals.

CCI large & small pistol - $84.99/1000

CCI small rifle - $99.99/1000

CCI-41 "machine gun" primers - $109.99/1000

Federal large pistol - $84.99/1000

Cheddite shotgun/rifle/pistol - all $69.99/1000

Depending on mid-terms and 2024, I think we'll see prices settle around $59.99 in another year or two.

I would say a fair price would be $60:/1000. That’s cheaper than most places and you’ll make a little money depending on when you bought them. 

On 5/23/2022 at 1:57 PM, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

...What would be a reasonable price for large and small pistol primers for 1,000?

The price half way between what you paid for them and $75 per thousand.

I have “loaned” several K primers to Pards with instructions to replace them when you can. So far all but one have replaced what they borrowed. 

On 5/23/2022 at 12:57 PM, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

I'm getting out of cowboy shooting. Id' like to sell my stash of primers to the local shooters.

What would be a reasonable price for large and small pistol primers for 1,000?

We have a Cowboy that had back surgery and has been selling his for $100/1000 and those who need them are glad to get them. I don’t think you’ll have any trouble selling them at that price.

Randy 

• 3 weeks later...

Howdy Ike,

Sorry to hear your hanging up your gun belt.

It's always been a pleasure  shooting the "Holy Black" with you!

You'll be missed..Marlin

On 8/8/2022 at 1:06 PM, Hoss said:

I have “loaned” several K primers to Pards with instructions to replace them when you can. So far all but one have replaced what they borrowed. 

Texas Jack Daniels did that and I don't think hardly anyone has repaid him!

3 hours ago, Tell Sackett SASS 18436 said:

Texas Jack Daniels did that and I don't think hardly anyone has repaid him!

I did the same, letting others have some primers to play with to then replace them someday. Out of 10,000 only about 3,000 are still out there. If I had been that concerned that I wouldn't get them back I would not have "loaned" them in the first place. Gets really lonely shooting by yourself so keeping your pards in the game is worth it in spite of having a few primers go missing.

Regards

Gateway Kid

25 minutes ago, Gateway Kid SASS# 70038 Life said:

I did the same, letting others have some primers to play with to then replace them someday. Out of 10,000 only about 3,000 are still out there. If I had been that concerned that I wouldn't get them back I would not have "loaned" them in the first place. Gets really lonely shooting by yourself so keeping your pards in the game is worth it in spite of having a few primers go missing.

Regards

Gateway Kid

I think I loaned out 8K. Only one not replaced. (Yet) 

1 hour ago, Still hand Bill said:

Based on what I am seeing at retail when they are available, I expect we will settle in to a new normal of $50-$80/1k.   I don’t think we will ever see the $30/1k again.  

Well if dealer cost remain in the 50's... No you won't.

Phantom

Sell them for whatever they can drive to a LOCAL dealer, WHO HAS THEM IN STOCK, for whatever the LOCAL dealer is selling them for less sales tax.  That would be a very fair price.  Doesn't matter what dealers on the internet are selling them for, because when you get done paying cost plus shipping, hazmat, and sales tax, will probably be more than buying them from a local dealer.  Doesn't matter what the price was pre-Covid, just like what the price was for gasoline or food or homes or anything else.  Heck, that price may be less than you paid for them if you bought them recently.  I am a large mom and pop,  brick and mortar retail store dealer in AZ, and I just paid $63.82 plus HAZMAT for Federal #200 Small Pistol Magnum primers.  And was glad to get them. 

On 8/8/2022 at 9:42 AM, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

I've been selling to SASS members and Clubs (Raffle prizes), for between $55 and $70ish.

Phantom

Oh?

I'm coming to Colorado this month. Will you sell me several cases at that price? I sell them at my cost to shooters at matches! 

Are they Federals?

28 minutes ago, Tell Sackett SASS 18436 said:

Oh?

I'm coming to Colorado this month. Will you sell me several cases at that price? I sell them at my cost to shooters at matches! 

Are they Federals?

No I won't.

I sell them to friends.

If you doubt my word, ask those in Texas that received Fed Primers as shooter prizes from me. I never sold South American primers that had a realized failure rate of nearly 10% for $100/1k.

Phantom

Archived