SASS Wire Forum

Enjoyed the Whoopin Match near Blanco, Texas

The Tejas Caballeros stepped up and put on a great “Whoopin” at their Determination Range,  Congrats to all involved in putting on the match, including Judge Monday Comin who is property owner and club supporter.  Since last year the club worked hard to acquire reliable shotgun targets and provided nice size rifle and pistol targets.  Not an “in your face” match on all stages nor was it a “better use your front sight” on all stages but a variety of the two.  Scenarios were good where on some you go into auto-pilot but a couple of others required a bit of a heads-up approach,  From the time shooters arrived till departure the Cabs made shooters feel welcome.  Good shoot, hospitality, and pretty good food as well.  Thank you Tejas Caballeros, I plan to be back next year.

I shot with them perhaps a dozen times or so, back around 2003-2005. Much like Jeremiah the bullfrog, I always had a mighty fine time. I feel certain that although they have had to move several times they are still a fun club to shoot with. When I was visiting they were just south of Austin, Driftwood? And I'll add my congrats to you, young lady. Enjoyed meeting you at ort Parker several years ago. I hope the Vaqueros were suitable for your new shooter.

Glad you enjoyed the match Dreamchaser. As Goody notes, we have moved twice since the Driftwood days, but this place called Determination, Texas is our permanent home. Just like towns in the Old West, we are building our range one stage at a time. We have 10 stages now and hope to add a couple more. it is an outstanding place to shoot and the folks are friendly and accommodating.

We had something special this time--Our secretary prickly Pear Peggy inaugurated the Fastest Brass Picker sidematch. With over 30 entries, it was our club president, Cowboy Small, who had the fastest time. And to finish out our last day after the awards, we had a club president stick horse race. We have a good time out there, and the hospitality is the best. Look forward to seeing you again.

I wasn’t there :( but I saw video of the stick horse race. It was a hoot. Plum Creek Shooting Society may have the fastest President, but Texas Riviera Pistoleros has the purtiest! 

I hope to make the match next year. 

Dragonhill, there's been THREE moves since the original range in Driftwood across from the Salt Lick.  I'm very happy that Judge Menday Coming has given us a permanent home at Determination (folks, you won't find it on a map, it's between Blanco and Stonewall :) ).  I wasn't there Friday so didn't know about the brass picking competition.  I would have been down for that!

Dreamchaser, I agree on the good mix of targets, and it was a fun match.  Congratulations on your win!  I just put up 30 videos of folks on my posse from both days:  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXg4wGxUmmPIH966CYDZ5nQ/videos

I was sure disappointed when I first heard that it used to be near the Salt Lick! It sure would be nice to have a place to shoot closer to where I live, or at least within 90 minutes!

Really like the buildings that are being used for the stages at Determination, the long range is challenging and fun to shoot. Just wish that there was the option for Cody Dixon shooting.

Hey Itchy, I just noticed your SASS # is a palindrome.  Guess it's easy to remember. :)  Four Aces (#1111) shoots here, and now I'm wondering who is SASS #111111 ?

Archived