SASS Wire Forum

Rescu Dog!

Pitbulls and Rottweilers are two breeds who don't deserve the "reputations" they have.  In 7 1/2 years of volunteering with a rescue I've both breeds to be affectionate, loving and great dogs.   I've also found that the Staffordshires with their big, blocky heads and beady little eyes may look intimidating, but are usually the sweetest and goofiest of the various pitbull breeds.

I've found most rescues, regardless of breed, have more love to share, despite being abused or abandoned.

This afternoon Jeanie and I helped transfer a dog to a foster home.  He is a miniature Pomeranian who is about six months old. He had been kept in a bathroom in the dark and with minimal food and water, and NO human contact.  His owner said that at ten pounds he was too heavy to be a lap dog.

He is coming around nicely and we think he will soon trust people no

2 minutes ago, Chantry said:

Pitbulls and Rottweilers are two breeds who don't deserve the "reputations" they have.  In 7 1/2 years of volunteering with a rescue I've both breeds to be affectionate, loving and great dogs.   I've also found that the Staffordshires with their big, blocky heads and beady little eyes may look intimidating, but are usually the sweetest and goofiest of the various pitbull breeds.

I've found most rescues, regardless of breed, have more love to share, despite being abused or abandoned.

+10

Both of our dogs are rescues.  One is a staffordshire, she was pretty abused and has some triggers.  We constantly work with her, and have for the past 7 or 8 years.  She's gotten a LOT better over the years.

The other is a Shepherd/Husky mix.  He's a big goofy jerk with all the bad habits of both breeds. 

Folks, I love my dog friends, past and present, but I'm just not of a mind to do rescue dogs.  There are no bad dogs, but sure as the sun rises there are bad owners.  The risks are similar to shooting a firearm built by a wannabee gunsmith.  I will always have dogs, but I will raise them with love and great care from puppyhood.  Y'all are more courageous than I, a wiggy big dog can really mess you up, physically or financially.  A booby trap factor that I don't care to disarm.  If that makes me bad, so be it!

One of Uno's co-workers sent him a picture of a 14mo. old GSD in need of a furever home.  I told him at the very least, we should check him out.  Who knows....

1 minute ago, Rip Snorter said:

Folks, I love my dog friends, past and present, but I'm just not of a mind to do rescue dogs.  There are no bad dogs, but sure as the sun rises there are bad owners.  The risks are similar to shooting a firearm built by a wannabee gunsmith.  I will always have dogs, but I will raise them with love and great care from puppyhood.  Y'all are more courageous than I, a wiggy big dog can really mess you up, physically or financially.  A booby trap factor that I don't care to disarm.  If that makes me bad, so be it!

To counter your comment, we were certified by the GSD rescue agency we worked with in California as being good with "Hard Case" dogs.  Two of our last three GSDs were "hard cases", mostly behavioral issues.  All it took was love and training, lots of both.  Our white shepherd had separation anxiety and found a way to get out of the backyard, would run to the front porch and bark at the door until someone let her in.  Our Belgian/German mix was thought to be un-trainable because the previous owner couldn't "reason" with him.  We signed up with a trainer who trained us on how to properly train and treat the dogs and they both became model citizens.  Yes I guess it takes a special person willing to take on the "risk" of a dog with behavioral issues.  I guess we saw the potential in those dogs and not the risk.  

I will say, there was one dog we walked away from because we didn't feel as though we could help him.  He was a giant GSD, close to 200 lbs. who didn't like females of any kind.  We went to meet him and as I walked close to his kennel, he growled and snarled at me. I didn't want to take that kind of a risk.  Uno agreed.

It’ll probably be rescues from now on for us!

We loved our Dalmatians and had more than twenty years with at least one in the family.

I really want an Irish Wolfhound, but I’m getting to slow and stove up and I’m afraid that I couldn’t give one the time and activity it would need.

Our pit mix, Booby, has already given us almost fourteen years of comedy and companionship and we both dread the day we know will come.

When she leaves us, we will take a breath, shed a tear, and then find another misfit to fill the void.

Like all our other fur bearin’ family, we’ll remember the fun and laugh a lot!

We are on our 2nd Rottweiler rescue. Our current one,Kimber, is an absolute love and sweetheart. But, every once in blue moon she suddenly gets a tad aggressive towards men. She came off the streets of NYC. 

She has surely improved and gotten comfy here.

Hard to explain the feeling of giving a rescue a second chance as it were.

4 rescues here. All dachsunds. All wonderful doggy family members. They have good lives now. B)

The latest. She's 12 or so. Was a breeder in a puppy mill once upon a horrible time.  She has problems. Mostly deaf, mostly blind, no teeth and arthritic.  But damn is she spoiled now.

Screenshot_20201003-105607_Messages.jpg

It should be noted that most rescue dogs are the ones doing the rescuing!!!

10 hours ago, Calamity Kris said:

One of Uno's co-workers sent him a picture of a 14mo. old GSD in need of a furever home.  I told him at the very least, we should check him out.  Who knows....

What is a “GSD”?

All of our dogs have been rescues except for one. 

When we bought our first house my daughter asked for a puppy. We told her “yes” but I only had one caveat; no “yip-yip dogs”. 
The search was on. My wife would take my daughter to various shelters in the area looking for her “puppy”. After an extensive time consuming search (one day) my daughter brought home her “puppy” - ”Roxy”. A 13 year old over weight Yellow Lab. Roxy was on “death row” and my daughter decided Roxy didn’t deserve her sentence and brought her home. Roxy lived 2 more years and then diabetes and other complications took her from us. 
She is still missed. :(

5 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

All of our dogs have been rescues except for one. 

When we bought our first house my daughter asked for a puppy. We told her “yes” but I only had one caveat; no “yip-yip dogs”. 
The search was on. My wife would take my daughter to various shelters in the area looking for her “puppy”. After an extensive time consuming search (one day) my daughter brought home her “puppy” - ”Roxy”. A 13 year old over weight Yellow Lab. Roxy was on “death row” and my daughter decided Roxy didn’t deserve her sentence and brought her home. Roxy lived 2 more years and then diabetes and other complications took her from us. 
She is still missed. :(

Thanks for sharing

We currently have 4 pets, 2 dogs and 2 cats.  All are rescues.  The last one we got from a rescue that specializes in dogs with physical issues.  Our little Trudy has very few teeth left, and her lower jaw has receded. We have to feed her a fairly specialized diet, but it's worth it for the love she offers.

Resized_20220407_091951.jpeg

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

What is a “GSD”?

I first saw that term a few years ago, and it puzzled me for a while. Then when someone was talking about his GSD, he posted a picture.

It's a German Shepherd.

So I assume it means German shepherd dog. So does that mean that I used to have a CSD - cocker spaniel dog? BHD - basset hound dog? PBD - pitbull dog?

I've been seeing GSD in various and sundry forums for the last half dozen or so years. I've also seen GSP, which is a German shorthaired pointer.

Maybe there's a requirement somewhere that if "German" is in the name of your dog, you have to abbreviate it.

2 hours ago, Alpo said:

I first saw that term a few years ago, and it puzzled me for a while. Then when someone was talking about his GSD, he posted a picture.

It's a German Shepherd.

So I assume it means German shepherd dog. So does that mean that I used to have a CSD - cocker spaniel dog? BHD - basset hound dog? PBD - pitbull dog?

I've been seeing GSD in various and sundry forums for the last half dozen or so years. I've also seen GSP, which is a German shorthaired pointer.

Maybe there's a requirement somewhere that if "German" is in the name of your dog, you have to abbreviate it.

A GS with her GSD. :lol:

EEB5AA66-DF18-416B-A1C3-9E0A4E7816C6.jpeg

Sadly, many older animals in rescue centers are the animals most in need of a loving home but due to their age get passed over. Perhaps their previous humans died and no family took them. Perhaps their previous owner couldn't or wouldn't handle the vet bills.  

The expressions on these animals faces kill me. I can't go to rescues unless I am planning on adopting another pet.

54 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

Sadly, many older animals in rescue centers are the animals most in need of a loving home but due to their age get passed over. Perhaps their previous humans died and no family took them. Perhaps their previous owner couldn't or wouldn't handle the vet bills.  

The expressions on these animals faces kill me. I can't go to rescues unless I am planning on adopting another pet.

I have already talked to the wife about us fostering dogs after I retire. One of our local groups posts photos on social media asking for fosters, and it breaks my heart to see the need.

1 hour ago, Dantankerous said:

Man oh man... My wife and I haul newspaper and boxes to the animal shelter near us biweekly.  This morning I made the error of going inside with all that instead of leaving in the donation bin because a homeless guy was sleeping in it.  I came face to face with a couple dogs they told me that are 14 years old.  Those faces were so lost and dis-spirited. They were given up by the son of a 80YO mother who just passed.  The look in their eyes was so deep and knowing and hopeful that maybe I would take them.  I just can not, my 17 year old Schnauzer  is hanging on just can not do it right now. God forgive me

2 hours ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

image.png.5f752ff91ae6d1a0efc458bcb932653c.png

I haven't handled or had a greyhound come through the rescue I volunteer at, but it is my understanding is that they need one long/good walk a day (along with the necessary bathroom walks) for exercise, not a fenced in yard for them to run all the time.  I've heard they tend to sleep a lot 

5 hours ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

I have already talked to the wife about us fostering dogs after I retire. One of our local groups posts photos on social media asking for fosters, and it breaks my heart to see the need.

I don't think I could foster a dog.  I seriously think I would just wind up adopting them all. Then I would have to buy 20 or 30 or 40 acres and figure out how to run a retirement ranch for dogs.

Hmm. Dog Rancher. Catchy alias.  :D

30 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

I don't think I could foster a dog.  I seriously think I would just wind up adopting them all. Then I would have to buy 20 or 30 or 40 acres and figure out how to run a retirement ranch for dogs.

Hmm. Dog Rancher. Catchy alias.  :D

Well, at least you can herd dogs. ;)

5 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Well, at least you can herd dogs. ;)

I tried herding cats. Only had three. No go. Them critters is some kinda mind of their own. ;)

Archived