SASS Wire Forum

Using a Mr. Bullet Feeder Powder Funnel Question

Nickel City Dude

I have been loading for about 30 years and purchased a Mr. Bullet feeder device about 1 year ago.  I use coated bullet in it so it won’t get gunked up with lube.  I never had any problem when loading my 357 for Cowboy but I recently started loading for 9mm and 45acp.  I had a problem with the bullets not seating straight on the case and sometimes shaving lead off the bullet of my 9mm.  This prevented them from properly seating in the chamber checker and my Glock 34.  I was told to get the powder funnel that Double Alpha sells and that will cure the problem.  I got it for both my 9mm and 45acp and it did pretty much cure the lead shaving problem but it also produced another side effect.  The funnel goes so far into the case that on the upstroke (Dillon 750) the powder funnel sticks.  If I use enough force on the upstroke then I can get it past the sticking but you can hear and feel it pop out of the case.  I tried to lube the funnel and all that did was make the powder stick to the funnel.  Is there a trick to using this DA funnel so not so much force is necessary to remove it from the brass on the upstroke?

You probably have it adjusted wrong and if you are using the wrong 'lube" that can also be a problem.  You do not lube the funnel, you lube the case mouths.  Use Hornady One Shot case lube and just spritz a container of brass.  Shake the box and then another spritz.  After shaking the box about half of the case mouths will be facing up.  All it takes is a LITTLE lube on some of the case mouths and everything will smooth out.  As to the die the Dillon die expands the case mouth on a taper.  The Mr. Bullet Feeder die relies on a step.  In the photo the red arrow is the taper.    Dillon on the left, Mr. Bullet feeder on the right.  If the Mr. Bullet feeder die is going into the case in the tapered (Red) area it is in too deep.  The yellow arrow points to the first step.  This is basically case ID.  The purple arrrow is pointing to the second step, which is bullet OD. The die should only go into the case in the purple area.  Red is dead. ;)  These are very tiny adjustments.

DSC_0002.thumb.jpeg.456c80ca34f054bff6235169ffd9d344.jpeg

LEP

Thanks for the reply but you got me curious and I went to the DA web page and saw there video about the powder funnel and they recommended to go deep enough into the case to put a very small flair on the case.  I had previously tried not putting a small flair on my cases and very often when it advanced to the next station the bullet would be crooked in the case or fall off the case and it many time would shave some lead off the bullet which got stuck around the mouth of the case.  I guess I will just have to put up with the sticking.  BTW this happens more with new cases and less with one or more times fired ones.

I'm just the opposite, I ALWAYS want a tiny amount of flair to any case getting a lead bullet.  Absolutely ensures that you won't be shaving lead off the side of the bullet, and makes it MUCH easier to align the bullet on tops of the case.

3 hours ago, Griff said:

I'm just the opposite, I ALWAYS want a tiny amount of flair to any case getting a lead bullet.  Absolutely ensures that you won't be shaving lead off the side of the bullet, and makes it MUCH easier to align the bullet on tops of the case.

Do you use a Mr. Bullet feeder and if so how far do you let the case go into the funnel?

2 hours ago, Nickel City Dude said:

Do you use a Mr. Bullet feeder and if so how far do you let the case go into the funnel?

No, my bullet feeder is my left hand... ;)

Archived