SASS Wire Forum

125 TC bullet, lube groove or no lube groove....and why?

Krazy Kajun

I've been seeing some bullet vendors supplying 125 truncated cone bullet with no lube groove.  I've been using the ones with a lube groove for years with no problems.  Why would someone switch over to a no lube groove bullet for a lever action rifle?  Is there any advantage other than having to generate a very specific OAL for a rifle that is sensitive to OAL like some Marlins?

Kajun

First let's get it clear - Are you asking about a lube groove or a crimp groove?

"No lube grooves" at all are generally intended for a handgun bullet that will be powder coated.   A modern development.

"No crimp groove" often indicates a bullet that was designed for a semi-auto cartridge where only a taper crimp will be used.   Roll crimps on revolver rounds are easier to apply firmly if mouth is pushed into a crimp groove.  

Your question about adjusting OAL of the loaded cartridge tends to make me think you are asking about crimp groove or no crimp groove.   Having no crimp groove and a moderately soft alloy makes it VERY easy to adjust seating depth (and thus OAL) very precisely - just roll the crimp right into the band or shank area of the bullet where you end up with desired OAL.  I've designed a couple of bullet molds that intentionally have no crimp groove, so the roll crimp can be placed as desired.

good luck, GJ

Thanks GJ, that make sense to me and yes I was seeking info regarding no crimp groove. 

Kajun. 

I've always shot grooveless bullets in CAS. In my early days, I needed 2 OAL’s since my wife shot a Marlin and I shot a ‘73. She has since moved to a 73, but I continue to use the same bullet. Precision bullets out of Kemp Texas makes various sizes in this type. 

Totes

The 125gr bullets I sell (and shoot) have no lube grooves OR crimp grooves. No extraordinary crimping is required to keep from collapsing in to the case in a rifle… the benefits are: you can adjust the OAL for your desired length specific to your rifle. Also, as for no lube groove - why have a lube groove for no lube? As for us, when replacing molds during Covid, the no grooves makes sense. They cast a better bullet, coat more evenly, are easier to inspect for quality… not a sales post but I’ve sold thousands of this bullet profile over the last year and a half and have heard of NO issues…

8 hours ago, Krazy Kajun said:

I've been seeing some bullet vendors supplying 125 truncated cone bullet with no lube groove.  I've been using the ones with a lube groove for years with no problems.  Why would someone switch over to a no lube groove bullet for a lever action rifle?  Is there any advantage other than having to generate a very specific OAL for a rifle that is sensitive to OAL like some Marlins?

Kajun

I should have read the thread first.

3 hours ago, Marauder SASS #13056 said:

It can also help to make both 9mm and 38 bullets.  Then just resize appropriately before coating.

Ours are sized after coating…they’re coated 3 times. 

Archived