SASS Wire Forum

Joe Pickett

I've enjoyed C J Box's Joe Pickett book series about a Wyoming game warden - and now it seems that it's come to the small screen.  On some network I don't get, of course.

Anyone here seen it?  Comments?

(For some strange reason I always envisioned Nate Romanowski as Polish-American :huh:)

Yeah, another thing available only on a Plus channel! :angry:

5 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

I've enjoyed C J Box's Joe Pickett book series about a Wyoming game warden - and now it seems that it's come to the small screen.  On some network I don't get, of course.

Anyone here seen it?  Comments?

(For some strange reason I always envisioned Nate Romanowski as Polish-American :huh:)

I have read every Joe Pickett book and enjoyed them all. I am a hunter and have hunted Wyoming almost every year since my first trip there in 1980. If I remember correctly. Nate's wife is black, but in the books he is white. The actor portraying Joe Pickett just doesn't fit my vision of him from the books.  Too bad it is only on a streaming,  pay for mode. 

9 minutes ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

I have read ever Joe Pickett book and enjoyed them all. I am a hunter and have hunted Wyoming almost every year since my first rip there in 1980. If I remember correctly. Nate's wife is black, but in the books he is white. The actor portraying Joe Pickett just doesn't fit my vision of him from the books.  Too bad it is only on a streaming,  pay for mode. 

If you have Spectrum cable, it was available on their “On Demand.” 

I've read all the books and really enjoyed them. But I'm not sure if I would watch this series even if I could get the channel it's on. Hollywood screenwriters always tend to change things they don't need to change. Hats, boots, guns, people.

58 minutes ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

I have read ever Joe Pickett book and enjoyed them all. I am a hunter and have hunted Wyoming almost every year since my first rip there in 1980. If I remember correctly. Nate's wife is black, but in the books he is white. The actor portraying Joe Pickett just doesn't fit my vision of him from the books.  Too bad it is only on a streaming,  pay for mode. 

Yup.  Nate - who is described in the books as a Viking looking dude - was married to a really cool Black gal... I agree on the character, to the point where I'm not sure I even care to watch them.  And I would be equally annoyed if they cast a Caucasian as his wife, Liv. 

Oh... and Joe's wife, Marybeth, is evidently a former lawyer in the TV series; she's a librarian in the books.

Like Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher ~ Hollyweird needs to just stop trying to re-create people in books. 

Oh well.  I reckon I'm just not "PC" enough.   -_-

5 hours ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

The actor portraying Joe Pickett just doesn't fit my vision of him from the books. 

Often true at first, but then it depends on the quality of the show. Titus Welliver didn't come close to fitting my mental image of Harry Bosch. Until about 10 or 15 minutes into the first episode. Then he was Bosch.

The show is supposed to now be on Paramount plus, but when I checked the website, it was only listing the second episode of the first season.

The wife and I were going to do a month of Paramount plus so we could binge watch Joe Pickett and 1883 and then cancel.

If any of you guys are watching it on Paramount plus, are all episodes of Pickett available for viewing now?

Alrighty, so I'm confused.

I discovered that the Kid has Paramount+ installed on my TV, so I relented and watched the first three episodes last night*.

But where are the rest of 'em?  It looks like the first season began last year, and I was able to watch those episodes "free" with the P+ subscription - but is some other fee-based wingdoodle "subscription" needed to access the rest of the season?  <_<

* I actually enjoyed it, but there are some parts and a couple of characters that do tend to pi$$ one off - wanna reach into the screen and slap the livin' dog-snot outta at least two so-called "law enforcement" types.  -_-

2 minutes ago, Okie Sawbones, SASS #77381 said:

Only three episodes are out, with a new episode on Sundays.

Okey dokey, Okie!  Thankee!  ^_^

Road trip on Saturday (400 mile round trip drive for lunch), so I'll have something to look forward to when resting up on Sunday!  :lol: 

2 hours ago, Okie Sawbones, SASS #77381 said:

Only three episodes are out, with a new episode on Sundays.

I saw all 10 episodes on Spectrum last year. It was only available to Doectrum customers for free..

All 10 episodes are now available on Paramount +. 

10 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I saw all 10 episodes on Spectrum last year. It was only available to Doectrum customers for free..

All 10 episodes are now available on Paramount +. 

I just pulled up Pickett on Paramount+ last night. Three episodes are showing, and a message says 'New episode Sunday'. Can't explain further.

43 minutes ago, Okie Sawbones, SASS #77381 said:

I just pulled up Pickett on Paramount+ last night. Three episodes are showing, and a message says 'New episode Sunday'. Can't explain further.

Same for me , I’ve watched the first 3 . They almost lost me with the 1st episode but it gets better quickly 

56 minutes ago, Okie Sawbones, SASS #77381 said:

I guess that's season 2 because I saw 10 episodes back in Dec 2021 on SPECTRUM!

If I suspend the impressions and mental images I've formed of the characters after reading 21 books (so far), the series is pretty good.  :rolleyes:

At least he hasn't wrecked his truck (so far).  :)

8 hours ago, Buckshot Bob said:

I was just on paramount+ and the three episodes there are all dated dec 2021 . So they are last years . Hopefully we get 2 seasons back to back 

Like I said, I saw all 10 episodes in Dec 2021 on Spectrum. Great show!!

On 5/27/2022 at 5:33 PM, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

If I suspend the impressions and mental images I've formed of the characters after reading 21 books (so far), the series is pretty good.  :rolleyes:

At least he hasn't wrecked his truck (so far).  :)

He was hard on trucks. :wacko:

Found this:

Based on the #1 bestselling book series by C.J. Box, the Spectrum Original “Joe Pickett” follows a game warden (Michael Dorman) and his family as they navigate the shifting socio-political climate of a small rural town on the verge of economic collapse. A murder victim winds up on Joe’s doorstep and poses bigger problems for the family.

The 10 episode first season premiered back in December 2021 on Spectrum but was available for Spectrum subscribers only. The tv series is now streaming on Paramount+ as of May 15 and viewers can now watch all episodes for free online.

Archived