SASS Wire Forum

Better grip

Put some paracord on my walking stick. Gives me a better grip when I’m counting coup on squirrels and pokin bears. ;)

ED6CA557-6314-4717-88D3-A019953651A4.jpeg

BF13262D-CC6E-43C3-8906-9C8BCEAFBB12.jpeg

F165AA95-3B9C-4223-9F1C-B3B6BA1D4253.jpeg

14 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

I like the Walking stick medallions better than the paracord, but in total very nice.  Getting close to wanting some sort of stick, but I'll be looking for one with a sword.

Difference in functionality vs decoration, and the sword canes are generally kind of short. Good for urban strolls but not very useful for hiking. And not legal in all states…because apparently thousands of hoodlums use them to mug people. :D  :D Oddly switchblades are legal here but not sword canes. :blink:

24 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Difference in functionality vs decoration, and the sword canes are generally kind of short. Good for urban strolls but not very useful for hiking. And not legal in all states…because apparently thousands of hoodlums use them to mug people. :D  :D Oddly switchblades are legal here but not sword canes. :blink:

Something droolworthy, haven't decided to spend the money yet https://www.swordcane.com/countrycane.htm.  

50 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

I like the Walking stick medallions better than the paracord, but in total very nice.  Getting close to wanting some sort of stick, but I'll be looking for one with a sword.

Google sword canes / walking sticks and you should get a few hundred pages of them.  AlsoAtlanta Cutlery has some very nice ones at reasonable prices.

If you keep feeding Earl like that he will get to the point he won't be able to climb the deck post. Next year he will be bringing the Mrs. and kids!

9 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Google sword canes / walking sticks and you should get a few hundred pages of them.  AlsoAtlanta Cutlery has some very nice ones at reasonable prices.

Thanks!  I am extremely picky about quality when it comes to weaponry.  If I decide, it will be custom.

33 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

You need some menuki on that, Bob.

Maybe something like

s-l400.jpg

C6E90A8C-AA0E-42B1-BFB5-2D083EF55D36.jpeg

3 minutes ago, DocWard said:

Didn't anyone ever tell you not to poke bears?

No. Should I not do that? :blink:

1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Kinda Freudian there.

That marauding squirrel didn’t think so. :lol:

7 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

No. Should I not do that? :blink:

You do your thing. Me, I'll pass.

i rather like the look of what you did there , it looks good and i suspect functions well , but pokin bears is not in my agenda -- too many occasions  sharing  camp over the years to want to initiate the encounter 

10 hours ago, watab kid said:

i rather like the look of what you did there , it looks good and i suspect functions well , but pokin bears is not in my agenda -- too many occasions  sharing  camp over the years to want to initiate the encounter 

The trick it to do it properly. You may say, “Touché, l’ours”. Bears, except in Canada, do not speak French. This embarrasses them when they don’t know how to appropriately respond, and as we all know, an embarrassed bear is no threat.

You may also shout, “Yá’áá’ééh” in a sarcastic tone. They will assume you are a Navajo intent on making them into a blanket and they will run away.
I have done this many times.

in my dreams

F08E4F0E-9458-4DE4-B9AC-8EDCE5183B97.jpeg

1 hour ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

They will assume you are a Navajo intent on making them into a blanket

I thought never hose whatever blankets out of sheep wool.

You like that first line? That's what otto decided it should say. Never hose whatever.

What I thought it should say is "navajos wove their".

I can't seems to me that "navajo's wove their blankets" makes more sense than "never hose whatever blankets".

otto still stuck his fingers in it. Where I wrote navajo's wove there

Okay, try again. Navajos over there

otto is commencing to annoy me.

Navajos wolf there

I will give up on the weaving of the blankets that belong to the navajos. Let's look at the fourth paragraph. It is supposed to say "it just seems to me". You know this that is not what it says.

You may even note that in the previous sentence "notice" has been changed to "know this".

23 hours ago, Doc Shapiro said:

I like the paracord.  Comes in hand for other things as well. 

The people tied up in my basement would agree.

Forget sword canes, easily recognized and usually cheap blades. Get a decent Hames headed walking stick. Equivalent of a very unrecognized mace.

Screenshot_20220523-120822_Brave.jpg

On 5/22/2022 at 12:34 PM, Subdeacon Joe said:

Kinda Freudian there.

Never say that to a ninja.

or his mamasan.

Benjo wa doko desska?

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

It's outside behind the cherry bush (we don't have inside plumbing). Wakalibaska?

It’s the only thing I retained from my Dad’s 1945 GI Japanese Phrase Book. ;)

3 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

"Don't touch my moustache!"

I think that’s French.

26 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

No banjo.  Basset horn and accordion.

Stupid auto! Btw what is a Basset horn?? :lol:
I’ve heard them Japanese banjos. Worst than accordions! :wacko:

UB,

If you go around poking bears ,it might be beneficial to take a friend along who is slower afoot than you.

Just a thought.

Choctaw

3 minutes ago, Choctaw Jack said:

UB,

If you go around poking bears ,it might be beneficial to take a friend along who is slower afoot than you.

Just a thought.

Choctaw

That's a little like the old joke about the guy who saved himself from an enraged Grizzly with a .25 Auto, shot his Brother in Law through the kneecap and kept running.

1 hour ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Stupid auto! Btw what is a Basset horn?? :lol:

I'm glad you asked!

"basset horn, clarinet pitched a fourth lower than the ordinary B♭ clarinet, probably invented in the 1760s by Anton and Michael Mayrhofer of Passau, Bavaria. The name derives from its basset (“small bass”) pitch and its original curved horn shape (later supplanted by an angular form). Its bore is narrower than that of the E♭ alto clarinet, and it has a downward extension of compass to the low F of the bass voice (written as C). The boxwood instrument is usually built to order, in straight form with upturned bell."

https://youtu.be/yHFTNYE3ZX8

Archived