SASS Wire Forum

SR-71 Speed Check

Doc Shapiro

A useless piece of trivia.   Apparently what limited the max speed of the SR-71 was the temperature of the epoxy holding that held the glass in the canopy.

I think it is safe to say having the epoxy melt and the canopy glass come loose at Mach 3+ would fall into the category of having a "very bad day".

Met a Habu (what they were called on Okinawa, not Blackbird) pilot one time who claimed that the inside of the cockpit glass got so hot that a flight glove would be "welded" to it.  Someone asked if friction could really do that and he was told "I don't know, but air compression can at that speed."

Have you seen the account of the triangular-shaped hypersonic aircraft that Lockheed-Martin built for the movie Top Gun Maverick?  It seems they parked it outside and the Chinese thought it was real.  I also recall a story that one of the commercial earth-observation satellites caught an image of a triangular-shaped "something" under a cover, either at L-M or Area 51.  I wonder if that is what both saw? Puts one in mind of the rubber tanks that were placed around England just prior to D-Day... :ph34r:

Archived