SASS Wire Forum

Is 44 Special a good SASS caliber?

Semper Fi Cowboy

On 5/22/2022 at 8:39 PM, Three Foot Johnson said:

I had a '73 round barrel carbine .44 spl for awhile, and sold it to @WOLFY in California about seven years ago. I still have a pair of 1866 RBC's in .44 spl.

I had ten stainless 4 5/8" Lipsey's Ruger New Vaquero .44 spls, and sold two of them just a little under a year ago for a slight premium over a .357 or .45, but looking at Gunbroker completed auctions lately, they're selling for another 50% over that now. :o About 500 were made in each of four configurations; 3 3/4" blue and stainless, and 4 5/8" blue and stainless.

I converted that ‘73 carbine to .44 Russian, Three Foot.  It’s my fave SASS long gun when I’m shooting that caliber.

IRT .44spl, my Miroku 92 and a Cimarron 66 are outstanding with .44spl.  I load near max recipe, so the guns stay cleaner.  

On 5/22/2022 at 2:40 AM, Semper Fi Cowboy said:

I have a chance to get two Cimarron Model P 44 Special revolvers, and I need some advice! Is this 44 Special a good SASS caliber? I’ve never shot a 44 Special, and I need some input on this! Thanks for your help!!

Semper Fi Cowboy 

great caliber, I started with 44 spl and I still shoot it alongside my 38 specials. I use the 44 mainly for WB now and for shooting black powder along with 44 russian.

It also allows me to shoot classic cowboy too.:wub:

On 5/23/2022 at 8:02 AM, Snake-eye, SASS#45097 said:

Yea, I really like those Rugers in 44 spl. Matched up with my ‘73 in 44 spl and I have a winning combo at any match. I now use 135 gr bullets in the pistols and 160 gr. in the rifle. Both shooting over 800 fps. Recoil is minimal and easily controlled. Recently picked up a Rossi Ranch Hand in 44 mag that feeds 44 spl as long as they are loaded with the proper oal. Nice addition to my 44 collections.

EA7DC6BA-D3AF-4F65-A85D-3D6514A2D2F3.jpeg

Well, dang...

Now I gotta try .44 Specials in this...

MaresLegRioBravoLoop.thumb.jpg.3d9b43306f244b92d54ac811ac6928e6.jpg

It's a Chiappa.

Semper FI,

44 Special is a great caliber, especially for reloaders.....one recipie,  240g bullet, holy black.....let fun begin!!! You don't have to have a rifle that matches your pistols, makes it a whole lot easier for sure but not required. Something bout a big chunk of lead hitting the target with lots of smoke and fire....

44 fan here , in fact it is all that I have in my safe for CAS. I have had good luck with rifles , the couple of Marlins and Browning 92's that I have had would cycle the Specials without problems , and my 73 has been flawless . Only hangups that I have ever had with it were caused by me.

Rex :D

Howdy Pard

Ditto to the abundant feedback you’ve received. I mainly use 44 Specials in a Ruger Super Blackhawk. I cast my own bullets and am fortunate to have a sufficient supply of brass, bullets, primers, and powder to reload. Using 44 Special reloaded to recommended cowboy velocities, I’ve never had an issue taking down knockdown targets. A bonus is that most 44 pistols are capable of delivering excellent accuracy … even for a stumble bum such as I.

Use 44’s and enjoy!

Adios

Fort Reno Kid 

On 5/21/2022 at 2:42 PM, Gateway Kid SASS# 70038 Life said:

Used to be a 44 magnum guy for non SASS! Still love the authority of the boomers, but, there  are a few issues (none of which are insurmountable)

1. As said components can be tough to come by, for everybody not just the more unusual chamberings such as 44 special/magnum

2. Since relatively few use them load recipes for our game are few and you will need to spend more time tweaking/chronographing your loads to be usable (lower recoil) and SASS legal for you.

3. If you have any issues (forgotten ammo, brought wrong loads/guns, guns go down etc.) there will be less assistance available at a match.

4. If you are running "hotter" loads (which may still be SASS legal) because others could be unfamiliar with the characteristics of your chosen caliber, you might be asked to "not tear up our targets" and this could cause some friction.

5. Matching a rifle to your pistols (if you were so inclined) could be a challenge. There weren't a lot to begin with in either magnum or special, and they don't show up for sale very often. (at least around my part of the country).

All that said the 44 special/magnum is an excellent cartridge, inherently accurate, powerful, SASS legal, useful for purposes other than SASS, so if it floats your boat give it a whirl!! If you decide you don't like it they just became an excuse to go get more guns later!

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Trying different calibers is the part of the game I like, so have dabbled with the 44 Mag/Spl. I have to agree with #2. I spent a fair bit of time testing and chronographing loads, and eventually got some pretty good loads. Once that is dialed, it is a very good caliber. 

BB

I'll vote again. ;)

44 Special is a great CAS caliber choice AND a great all around revolver caliber in general.

I've shot several different bullet weights in smokeless and BP through my open tops and love 'em all but FFFg .44 Special is by far the bestest funnest.

I have several non CAS .44 Special loads I very much enjoy through other DA revolvers for plinking, etc. Always enjoyable to shoot. Even "hot" .44 Special ammo is pretty mild compared to its big brother.

Archived