SASS Wire Forum

Boaters Beware!

"To keep boaters safe, the Coast Guard recommends filling water crafts with gas containing no more than 10% ethanol."

I got a better idea. Do away with gasahol. Start actually selling gasoline at the gas pumps. My mileage cut in half with that crappy 10% alcohol trash they sell at the pumps.

26 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

The last time around, Gasohol was never sold at Marine filling stations.

Lots of folks don't use marinas to buy their fuel because they trailer their boats and keep them at home.

Some local gas stations have taken to advertising non-ethanol gas specifically to draw in the boating and fishing crowd.  Closer you get to a boat ramp, the bigger the signs are.

Ah, I am sure corn farmers and their representatives will be happy… :huh:

Better for the environment? Whose environment? Surely not wildlife’s environment. 

Here’s an interesting article from CNN touting the benefits of E15 gas. It appears to be a minor inconvenience according to these people. -_- (Skeptical)
https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/12/politics/e15-gas-explainer-faq-climate/index.html

Here’s an article by a guy that seems to think he’s an authority on E15 gas. 
It is marketed as “Octane 88” or 88 Octane gas in Pennsylvania. It’s less expensive, but everyone I talked to in PA said the same thing with almost the same exact verbiage, “It’s sh** gas!” - Sounds like a redneck conspiracy to me… :lol:

It is cheaper but your mileage goes down and in reality costs you more money.

This guy claims to be a expert on alternative fuels and he very well may be, but he also mentions “Big Oil” a lot so I kind of wonder if he’s not a “greenie sympathizer”. Look him up. I think he’s found his niche to make “big money” slamming “big oil”.

https://www.theautochannel.com/news/2019/01/08/646962-explaining-unleaded-88-gasoline.html

My motorcycle and my Miata take high octane fuels to run properly. I will not be using this “Sh** Gas.”

Yep, remember when they cut down all the forests to plant corn? Another genius idea.,

To keep boaters safe, the Coast Guard recommends filling water crafts with gas containing no more than 10% ethanol

Watercraft.

I know what I'd like to do with all that ethanol! My Buick don't even like unleaded gas at all, even with lead substitutes. Hasn't run right since the govmint deleaded everything. Ethanol is even worse than that. 

PF

as for the fuel issues , it is well known  that it will kill a motor , boat , small engine , lawn mower , weed eater , chain saw , ect 

it might be due to all the new owners , who do not listen , to others , and do not read owner manuals 

I almost never get fuel at a marina , but I have places I get fuel that I trust to be 100% gas 

Chickasaw Bill 

After the Craftsman gas line trimmer wouldn't start I took it to a local small engine repair shop.  He checked the compression pressure & said it was well below minimum pressure.  I did some research & determined that the best brand was the one he sold, Echo.  Also, at the time he condemned my Craftsman he explained that the USEPA has two classes of small gasoline engine duty classes which have drastically different guaranteed lives.  As I recall the consumer class was about 30 hours & commercial class was a lot longer.  Because, I put 30+ hours a year trimming weeds where I can't use a brush hog I bought a commercial grade Echo.  I always empty the gas tank of my line trimmer, chain saw & post hole auger after each use then run the engine dry.  So, when I filled the tank with the mixed fuel that was stored in a sealed container that I had added fuel stabilizer & it would start I took it to the shop were I bought it.  He told me that the mfg. recommends that pump gas shouldn't be used because it has min. 10% ethanol in it.  He recommended that the only place you can buy pure gasoline with high enough octane is at the local airport.  He said that I buy high octane pump gas because, the only available non alcohol gas available at a gas station is 87 octane; therefore, buy high octane pump gas & don't use it after one month.  I put what's left in my Kia Sol.

BTW, at the end of the season, you can run small quantities of 2 Cycle fuel through (at least older, which is what I drive) gasoline powered cars or trucks with no problem, and make fresh for the next season when it rolls around.  

Archived