SASS Wire Forum

Hammer Pin and New Holster

Got the new El Paso Saddlery holster in finally and had some tuning done to fix the light primer strikes.

Unfortunately I noticed the hammer pin has shifted. Can I just undo the grip screw and shift it back into place myself or will that undo any of the gunsmith’s work with my new firing pin and springs?

04E5F6FA-4FEB-4A2F-AEFA-1484B395A782.jpeg

6DB3DA0E-A4A2-487C-B3F3-5E1883FB5CB7.jpeg

Was it a local smith that did the work? If so I would take it back to him and ask the best option. He might just take care of it on the spot, especially if it was something he had apart while doing the work.

Looks to me  like it just needs to be turned back. But what do I know!

Nice leather for a great handgun! Superb looking combination. :)

If you look on the Gun Parts Corp website schematic of the Ruger Redhawk you will see that the pin is just a pin that the hammer rotates on. 
Link: https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/ruger/revolvers-ruger/redhawk

Modified screenshot from link:

B18A09D2-72CC-4102-9F20-BB699C3C9087.thumb.jpeg.cec24fcef1439f6130ffa99f5efb52eb.jpeg

You can see in that drawing that nothing interacts with that pin in the drawing except the hammer. It only holds the hammer. I think it’s safe to say that you can remove the grip yourself then turn the pin to it’s proper seated and fully inserted position if you like without any issues. 
BUT! If the ‘smith is local I would make him or her do it purely because that is a silly mistake that they need to be aware that they made that mistake. 
The pin appears that it could easily be lost as it appears the grip is it’s retention. 

This is my observation regarding this and honestly, I have never worked on a Redhawk.
If I am wrong someone please let me know. 

BTW, what model holster is that?

Take of the grips and turn it back, the grips will hold it in place. Someone put the grips on with the pin out of place.

Did you peak at the Work that had been done ???

Jabez Cowboy

36 minutes ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

Take of the grips and turn it back, the grips will hold it in place. Someone put the grips on with the pin out of place.

Did you peak at the Work that had been done ???

Jabez Cowboy

I was honestly too scared to. This is the second time I’ve had it tuned, trying to find the right combination of spring and firing pin. It’s solid this time, but I need to hit the range to confirm that.

Archived