SASS Wire Forum

Looking for a Citori mechanic

El Catorce

I quit clay shooting when i started Cowboy Action Shooting… I was never really much of a clay shooter: @Hosswill say I’m not much of a cowboy action shooter either! Ha! …But I’d participate in local clay shoot fundraiser matches and occasional family trips to the trap and skeet club a few towns away. I never thought much about the action or the fit of my stock back then. Recently, however, I brought out my Citori and it was exactly as i remembered. Good stiff action with solid trigger pull…. But since starting cowboy action, and having had a proper length of pull and the actions on my shotguns worked over by great gunsmiths, I am not content with my Citori anymore. Its not broken but the LOP is definitely long, it points high for me and the action is stiff to open and close.. with a heavy trigger pull. 

I wonder if its just that my Cowboy Action Shooting SxS’s ruined my Citori for me?  …or…Can my Citori benefit from a trip to a gunsmith for a cowboy style action job? I know I can benefit from a stock fitting, at least a LOP adjustment with a little toe-in to bring the barrels down a bit…. So, anyone have any recommendations for a Citori mechanic to likes of Fast Eddie and Johnny Meadows for Baikal and SKB SxS’s… but for Citori?… 

24 minutes ago, El Catorce said:

I quit clay shooting when i started Cowboy Action Shooting… I was never really much of a clay shooter: @Hosswill say I’m not much of a cowboy action shooter either! Ha! …But I’d participate in local clay shoot fundraiser matches and occasional family trips to the trap and skeet club a few towns away. I never thought much about the action or the fit of my stock back then. Recently, however, I brought out my Citori and it was exactly as i remembered. Good stiff action with solid trigger pull…. But since starting cowboy action, and having had a proper length of pull and the actions on my shotguns worked over by great gunsmiths, I am not content with my Citori anymore. Its not broken but the LOP is definitely long, it points high for me and the action is stiff to open and close.. with a heavy trigger pull. 

I wonder if its just that my Cowboy Action Shooting SxS’s ruined my Citori for me?  …or…Can my Citori benefit from a trip to a gunsmith for a cowboy style action job? I know I can benefit from a stock fitting, at least a LOP adjustment with a little toe-in to bring the barrels down a bit…. So, anyone have any recommendations for a Citori mechanic to likes of Fast Eddie and Johnny Meadows for Baikal and SKB SxS’s… but for Citori?… 

No gritos allowed at them fancy clay matches! 

Briley's in Houston, all of us CAS use them!

Seriously, there are lots of good shade-tree Trap/Skeet Gunsmiths. Go to two or three ranges in your area and ask the "instructors" who they would take their shotgun / Citori Shotgun to.

Yeah, better having tuneup and stock fitting done by a target shotgun mechanic.   Most of the cowboy smiths will likely have little idea how to get an over-under into good shape for better clays success.  You probably do NOT want to have them "ease" the action any.  The hinge fitting of an over-under gun comes just a little tight on purpose - to let the gun have a long life before the hinge has to be rebuilt.  Keep it well greased and shoot a thousand rounds through it, and the action will be fine.  Triggers might need lightening slightly.  I've got two Citoris, neither needed trigger work.   And don't even think of having someone cone the breech end of chambers - all the resale value of the gun will be gone.  Nor shorten the barrels.

I'll second Brileys for good target shotgun work.  

https://www.brileygunsmithing.com/

But possibly even better work at Cole Fine Guns in San Antonio.  

https://colegun.com/san-antonio-texas-gun-shop/

good luck, GJ

2 hours ago, Hoss said:

No gritos allowed at them fancy clay matches! 

No gritos allowed …YET ;) … havent ya noticed? I tend to change the game no matter where I go compadre! :) 

1 hour ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Yeah, better having tuneup and stock fitting done by a target shotgun mechanic.   Most of the cowboy smiths will likely have little idea how to get an over-under into good shape for better clays success.  You probably do NOT want to have them "ease" the action any.  The hinge fitting of an over-under gun comes just a little tight on purpose - to let the gun have a long life before the hinge has to be rebuilt.  Keep it well greased and shoot a thousand rounds through it, and the action will be fine.  Triggers might need lightening slightly.  I've got two Citoris, neither needed trigger work.   And don't even think of having someone cone the breech end of chambers - all the resale value of the gun will be gone.  Nor shorten the barrels.

I'll second Brileys for good target shotgun work.  

https://www.brileygunsmithing.com/

But possibly even better work at Cole Fine Guns in San Antonio.  

https://colegun.com/san-antonio-texas-gun-shop/

good luck, GJ

Gracias Amigo! 

1 hour ago, Itchy Trigger said:

Briley's in Houston, all of us CAS use them!

Seriously, there are lots of good shade-tree Trap/Skeet Gunsmiths. Go to two or three ranges in your area and ask the "instructors" who they would take their shotgun / Citori Shotgun to.

Great idea! Gracias amigo!

USE the Citori often & it will loosen up..play around with height  & length of the stock  to get what you want...much cheaper & works. Don't forget the pattern board ,it's your best friend to determine what you need, same goes for cast & pitch.Straight versus curved butt pads also play a big part

Archived