SASS Wire Forum

Scam Websites?

Shepherd Book

As  new CAS shooters we are gathering supplies.  It appears that we have run across a number of scam websites for both firearms and components.  Common characteristics seem to be items all "In Stock'", numerous misspellings, Bitcoin payment options, and the kicker, PayPal "Friends and Family" payments often required--details provided by separate emails.  The sites may ask for your birthday and other personal information.  Anyone else with experiences like these?  Caveat Emptor!  SB

If they don't accept major credit cards...stay clear of them. Most all of the sites that don't accept CC's are scams. There are legitimate suppliers  that don't accept CC's but they are far and few in between.

Edit: I had Outlaw Gambler/Classic Old West Arms as not accepting CC's. That is not the case, Credit cards are accepted by OG.

Scammers abound right now on the Internet.

No credit card payment option?  No way.

No in-real-life location provided?  No valid telephone number and business hours?

Just started up in the last couple of years?

ALWAYS claim to have lots of product in stock, even when your local stores haven't seen any in a year?

Don't charge HazMat or explain the shipping charges up front?

Ask your local club members where they have been getting supplies.  Follow their lead!

good luck, GJ

I just got through sending in an article about scam websites. There are more scam websites than authentic. Quite often the scam websites have copied real websites word for word. One way to detect them is copy key phrases on the website that should be unique and search google for that same phrase. Just last week I found four scam websites had copied one real website. You can also use google image search to detect scammers on gunbroker and other online sales sites.

I didn't use to just so I could avoid the cc charges. However, after PP stole 5 figures from me I am now accepting credit cards.

1 hour ago, Outlaw Gambler said:

I didn't use to just so I could avoid the cc charges. However, after PP stole 5 figures from me I am now accepting credit cards.

I have edited my post to reflect your acceptance of credit cards. Thanks for the clarification.

3 hours ago, Outlaw Gambler said:

It's kinda like going from the mob to a cartel, isn't it? :ph34r:

Oh, and thanks OG, you're a great pard to do business with.

I too, can vouch for Outlaw Gambler.  Outstanding individual to do business with!

He’s been on the Wire for many years, and the “look and feel” of his website has got nothing in common with any of the fake sites I’ve seen.

I’m frequently looking at his posts on the “Merchants” forum for useful things.

—Dawg

Every day, new scam websites are arriving. One thing to think about it, in an environment where even established companies cannot get supplies to sell, where did the brand new company get them. When you see one, look up the who is info on the web address. If the site isn't old enough to be potty trained, I would steer clear no matter how the site looks

Archived