SASS Wire Forum

Guess Where I Am

Yul Lose

My daughter bought me this today.

9BBE8F80-B03A-48EE-9D52-F60FF6F11BA6.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

Early is always best, IMO, as long as you don't cross Beartooth Pass.

That’s what I’m told. There are far fewer people here at this time of year. Snowed on and off most of the morning. My wife and I are driving down to Jackson Hole in the morning for the antler auction, she’s so excited.:D

1 hour ago, Yul Lose said:

That’s what I’m told. There are far fewer people here at this time of year. Snowed on and off most of the morning. My wife and I are driving down to Jackson Hole in the morning for the antler auction, she’s so excited.:D

There’s an “antler auction”? How does that work?

Two friends and I spent an hour in a makeshift jail in Jackson Hole in 1963.  We were on our ay from Logan Utah to aan Air Force base to pick up some stuff his dad had shipped home from Greece and stopped over for supper.  there was some sort of celebration going on and none of us were wearing cowboy hats so we got put up on the hoosegow.

A posse showed up with a "judge" after an hour and we were convicted and sentenced to a free dinner, a straw cowboy hat, and a book apiece of tickets for free ride and food and such.

Went back up that way in 1982 for a reunion and found a cafe on a rooftop that served to absolute worst so-called Mexican food I ever ate.  Went to an IHOP or Denny's or something for the next three days...except for a wonderful Fraternity banquet.

Second night there we sat up watching the Perseid (SP?) meteor showers like you've never seen them anywhere else.

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

There’s an “antler auction”? How does that work?

The antlers are gathered up from the National Elk Refuge by the Boy Scouts. The elk shed their antlers every winter. There are also deer antlers and moose antlers that will be auctioned. Complete skulls with antlers attached are also auctioned off. These come from winter killed, old, or whatever animals that die. The Boy Scouts split the proceeds from the auction with The Elk Refuge. I attended one about 15-20 years ago and since I’m up here and it’s going on I’m going.

25 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I have no idea what “gt” means

I sent it to soon. Look at my corrected explanation.

Well the trip to Jackson Hole and the antler auction didn’t happen. It seems that Mrs. Lose didn’t really have an interest in seeing the worlds largest antler auction after all and to continue to nurture the domestic tranquility mission mindset I went back to Yellowstone and…..

BB2B6F42-BFF0-4561-B60F-87C2B7A4DD1B.jpeg

Archived