SASS Wire Forum

Titegroup for 12ga

John E. Law

Has anyone here used Titegroup for 12ga? I searched the Hodgdon Reloading Data and they don't show anything at all, but on the Trapshooter's forums there are plenty of shooters using around 15-18grs with 1.25-1.5oz of shot and getting around 1175+fps so that got me to thinking if anyone has used it here for CAS. Of all of the powders that I currently have it's Titegroup that I have the most of. Either way since I have been experimenting with different shot weights for my little guy and to stretch my shot for practice I guess I'll try using some of this powder in the experiments and see what happens.

JEL  

I must. I entered the gauge and it asks for a hull. I pick any of the ones that I use and nothing.

JEL

Ahhhhh, I got it to work. 1oz and 1 1/4oz load data. 

I tried some, around 12-13gr and 3/4 or 7/8 oz shot. Didn't work out too good. Had quite a few delayed ignition. Shooting a 97 and flame would fly out the ejection port with the expended hull. Switched to titewad, much better.

1 hour ago, Ranger Dan said:

around 12-13gr and 3/4 or 7/8 oz shot.

Well, no where near enough powder.   With 40% nitroglycerin in TG powder, it takes a good charge weight and resistance of the payload to get the pressure up.  Titewad is indeed a much better light shotshell load powder, I'll agree.

good luck, GJ

In this time of shortage people buy what they can find and somehow think they "will make it work."  HOWEVER, just because you find powder does not mean it will work for what someone wants to do with it.  Tightgroup is made for heavier loads and charges.  It is not made for super light loads.

If you go to the Hodgdon site, and follow their protocols,  you can find both info and recommended shotgun powders in stock at fair prices for the day.  Titegroup is a pistol powder and works well for that.

1 hour ago, Rip Snorter said:

Titegroup is a pistol powder and works well for that.

Which is why I've used it for my pistol loads for a long time. Clays data doesn't go anywhere near down to 10 grain loads either, but that's what's in my son's load and it works well. I also get that it's a different powder.  Since I quit shooting USPSA, Steel Challenge, and 3 Gun I don't load those rounds anymore and in all of those loads I used Titegroup. I'm not short on powder I just have more Titegroup than anything else....a lot more. I'm not looking for a match load,  I have that,  I'm looking to stretch out more practice time and save the Clays that I have. I'll try it out, maybe even try the old grits filler trick. If it works great, if not nothing major lost. I was just seeing if anyone had tried using it for this application yet. Thank you Ranger Dan for your info that really would have been something to witness,  fortunately I shoot a double. Thank you all for your input. 

JEL

2 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

In this time of shortage people buy what they can find and somehow think they "will make it work."  HOWEVER, just because you find powder does not mean it will work for what someone wants to do with it.  Tightgroup is made for heavier loads and charges.  It is not made for super light loads.

While not everything will work there is allot of cross over with powders. I can't remember all of them but when Obummer was in office there was allot of shotgun powders that would work for pistol and vise versa. I have a list somewhere. We can already see that you can do allot more than what the lawyered up powder companies will tell you , you can do. Just look at how the older revolver catridge loads have been watered down over the years by powder companies.

Archived