SASS Wire Forum

Stoeger Help, Please

Howdy,

I have a Stoeger Uplander with two triggers that I have used for years.

It does have some work done to it - safety disconnected and action easier to open.

The front trigger does not seem to cock again after pulling it once and action opened again.

I took the stock off and sprayed the insides thinking it just might be dirty but that did not do the trick.

Any easy to follow suggestions?

Thanks

I had a similar problem. the firing pin fastening bolt was loose. tightened it and everything was fine. Not saying that this is your problem, but it's worth checking.

Probably not what you want to hear.... but, "...trade it in on a new one?"  I've got both their coach gun and Uplander (double triggers), been using them since early 1986 and never had occasion to peek inside their actions, except to disengage the "auto" portion of the safety.  You might just need to take the stock off, operate the cocking mechanism and see why it ain't engaging.    Could just be something simple...

1 hour ago, Henry Andrew Thomas, SASS #19594 said:

Yes, I pulled trigger once and opened the barrel.

The front trigger will not re-set or re-cock.

IF you open it a second time without pulling the trigger will it re-cock?

I had to add material on the forearm where the cocking lever rode when cocking the gun. 

Take the stock off and open the action to cock the gun.  You should see if the cocking lever is moving far enough for the hammer to engage the sear.  My problem started where it would cock, but only hanging on the edge of the sear.  When I closed the action, one side would fire on closing.  The vibration of action closing would drop the hammer.  After adding material to operate properly, 10+ years ago, I have not had the problem since. 

Thanks to all for the responses - I will continue my research.

My wife and I have two other Stoegers but this was the first one I bought when I started the game so it is sentimental.

Check wood inside of the buttstock (or even forearm) to make sure you don't have wood swelling to touch the hammer or other action parts.    Remove any that does touch moving parts.

Make sure forearm iron attachment screws are snug so the cocking mechanisms work properly instead of being shoved around.

good luck, GJ

Archived