SASS Wire Forum

That is grounds for divorce.

Except that I think he was faking. If he didn't know anything about wasabi, he would have put some on that chunk, not just got a itty bitty bit on the tip of the spoon bowl.

Sorry, but I ain't eating fish bait.

I don't eat raw or undercooked meat- don't matter what animule it came from. 

See, animals have been known to have these things called parasites what are critters that live off'n of a host animule.  Some of them parasites lay their eggs in the parts of an animule what tastes good. 

Like the fish parasite what likes to hook onto the back of a throat.:blink:

49 minutes ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

Sorry, but I ain't eating fish bait.

I don't eat raw or undercooked meat- don't matter what animule it came from. 

See, animals have been known to have these things called parasites what are critters that live off'n of a host animule.  Some of them parasites lay their eggs in the parts of an animule what tastes good. 

Like the fish parasite what likes to hook onto the back of a throat.:blink:

Hear, Hear!

I did try Sushi a couple of times, mostly to be polite. The first time was when I first moved to CA in ‘82 and some coworkers invited me along. At the time I made $11 an hour. MY sushi bill that evening was $36 :blink: That place was expensive for what I got and I still needed to eat something after I left. Thank goodness for Wendy’s.

The second time was a birthday party for a friend in ‘95. He wanted a sushi birthday party at a restaurant. I had an In & Out burger and fries before I went and had one piece of raw tuna with a California Roll just to make my friend happy. 

Sort of a funny aside. The first time I went to a sushi bar I had not tried Wasabi. As I got up to leave my coworkers insisted I “honor our Japanese chef’s by eating a spoonful of the mint pudding to show gratitude”. Sons-of-b****es!

I eventually hit them back. Still pizzes me off. 

Tell me please, what exactly don't you like about sushi?  (which, by the way doesn't mean "raw fish," it refers to the slightly sour taste of the vinegar seasoned rice)
Texture?
Taste?
Spare me the "fish bait" etc. responses. 

Dad took me for sushi when I won my first Judo tournament at 16, have loved it ever since.  There are a couple of varieties I think you have to be Japanese to appreciate - Sea Cucumber is the one that comes to mind.  The rest, taste, texture, presentation, food and art combined, at a good Sushi bar, wonderful experience.

I have had sushi a few times. If fresh and prepared right it’s fine. Not part of my regular fare. Mostly because it’s just not available around here. The textures vary depending on the ingredients. It’s pretty healthy. 
As far as this idiotic video about “Chinese” food goes….no comment.

Sorry, but I don't even like the smell.  I tried to try it once and it wouldn't go down.  I was born and grew up in a beautiful beach (then) in the Caribbean.  I've had pretty much everything that comes out of the sea including things that are now illegal to catch and after 80 yrs my taste buds have changed to such an extent that I can only stomach some white fish like cod period.  I am even totally turned off by lobster, shrimp etc.  No gracias.

1 minute ago, Dawg Hair, SASS #29557 said:

Sorry, but I don't even like the smell.  I tried to try it once and it wouldn't go down.  I was born and grew up in a beautiful beach (then) in the Caribbean.  I've had pretty much everything that comes out of the sea including things that are now illegal to catch and after 80 yrs my taste buds have changed to such an extent that I can only stomach some white fish like cod period.  I am even totally turned off by lobster, shrimp etc.  No gracias.

If you can smell fish entering a sushi bar, turn around and leave!!!

37 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Tell me please, what exactly don't you like about sushi?  (which, by the way doesn't mean "raw fish," it refers to the slightly sour taste of the vinegar seasoned rice)
Texture?
Taste?

Fish Bait! :P

Seriously, it’s RAW in many cases. Having had food poisoning and parasites from improperly cooked or prepared foods I am not going to push my luck. 
I don’t give a crap about sushi chefs training or all the typical hubbubbery about cleanliness and selection of fish. People are human and make mistakes. I will not submit myself to be “that guy I read about in the news…”

If people like sushi, good for them. I have no issues with them eating whatever they want. Just don’t foist it upon me or disdain me as “stupid” for not being enlightened enough to eat it. 

Not trying to be mean, just truthful. :)

1 minute ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Fish Bait! :P

Seriously, it’s RAW in many cases. Having had food poisoning and parasites from improperly cooked or prepared foods I am not going to push my luck. 
I don’t give a crap about sushi chefs training or all the typical hubbubbery about cleanliness and selection of fish. People are human and make mistakes. I will not submit myself to be “that guy I read about in the news…”

If people like sushi, good for them. I have no issues with them eating whatever they want. Just don’t foist it upon me or disdain me as “stupid” for not being enlightened enough to eat it. 

Not trying to be mean, just truthful. :)

60 years of eating Sushi without harm or parasites.  When I was single and had my first good paying job I had Sushi twice a week. 

1 hour ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I have had sushi a few times. If fresh and prepared right it’s fine. Not part of my regular fare. Mostly because it’s just not available around here. The textures vary depending on the ingredients. It’s pretty healthy. 
As far as this idiotic video about “Chinese” food goes….no comment.

I love Sushi. UB....there is a pretty good sushi place in Cortez, Stonefish. It's only open for takeout right now, but when it opens up for dine in, I'll take you there. 

37 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

60 years of eating Sushi without harm or parasites.  When I was single and had my first good paying job I had Sushi twice a week. 

Good for you. Have at it. Consider my non-contribution in this to be “more for you”.:D

1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Texture?
Taste?

Much of it tastes pretty good if it's fresh and well prepared. 

"Filling" it definitely is not, unless you want to spend a lot or eat a lot of rice.

I tried squid ONLY  once --   after chewing it for 25 minutes and not making any progress, I simply had to find a place to politely spit it out. 

Overall sushi is flavorful and fun at times, but given a choice I'll opt for good Mexican food with good friends, every time.  

16 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Good for you. Have at it. Consider my non-contribution in this to be “more for you”.:D

Again, on the mark! Was at a huge company event, ultra fancy Hawaii Trip.  The organizers picked a Japanese Inn up in the hills for a dinner and show.  Wonderful place with Japanese entertainment as well.  The first course was a big tray of sushi for the table.  Tables for six I think, and only two of us were Sushi fans.  Wretched excess!  I will say, I don't eat fried clams.  The third time they made me violently ill, spaced over many years, was enough.

I spent a lot of tie in Japan and Okinawa (both before and after we gave it back to Japan).

I never developed a taste for sushi, but there are some Japanese dishes I do like.  Most Japanese food is beautifully decorative, but the portions are way too small.....and I'm not a big eater.

Now, wasabi!  Wasabi is NOT a food nor a condiment.  It's the devil's version of slow-motion nitro glycerine.  It will burn you and keep on burning you until it's out of your system.

Like many foods from other countries you need to know what is what. All Sushi is not raw.

Crab and shrimp are usually cooked but served cold, eel is BBQ'd, smoked salmon, most good restaurants will list "cooked" selections.

If you don't like rice get Sashimi, no rice just fish, crab, squid, octopus thinly sliced.

As to eating something raw I've seen some steak being eaten that was still moving!! Or steak tar tar?

I love all seafood and have, as my gal says, a "cast iron stomach"...not to be confused with a washboard stomach. 

The first 3 times I ate sushi were in restaurants, each time got food poisoning to one degree or another. The restaurants were in good standing with State officials and had good reputations. I've eaten sushi at family events with no problems.

The smell, texture, taste and sauces have differed every time. Every time, it tasted good, although it left me wondering why it was so popular. So far as I'm concerned, sushi is just an appetizer...the "artsy fartsy" kind.

When I go out to eat seafood, I want to eat seafood, I want more than a couple of bites, give me the slow Cajun boil seafood platter. 

Back in the 80's, while I was living in the Bay Area, a local TV news program did a spot on sushi one night.  They placed a variety of freshly prepared items under a microscope, and Lordy!  but several of 'em were literally crawling with itsy bitsy worm-like critters.  :huh:

I'll pass.  -_-

But I do like wasabi!  :)

24 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I agree that it's a very light lunch, appatizer, or snack.  

Maybe so, maybe not! Sushi for two!  At a really good place, you order two pieces at a time, both so that they are absolutely fresh, and you get whatever quantity is perfect for your appetite.

L1010347.JPG

13 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Most sushi is not raw fish.

Most wasabi is not wasabi.

And most Japanese food is not Chinese.:lol:

22 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Back in the 80's, while I was living in the Bay Area, a local TV news program did a spot on sushi one night.  They placed a variety of freshly prepared items under a microscope, and Lordy!  but several of 'em were literally crawling with itsy bitsy worm-like critters.  :huh:

I'll pass.  -_-

But I do like wasabi!  :)

And you believe anything the Media says?  I'll trust 60 years of positive experiences, with never a worm or other ill effect.

9 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

And you believe anything the Media says?  I'll trust 60 years of positive experiences, with never a worm or other ill effect.

Nope.  'Course I don't.  However, they're not always wrong.

But, I have heard plenty of stories from medical folk I've known, including the Former Missus Hardpan, who had been an E R nurse and hospital administrator for many years.  And I had an employee who didn't show up for work one day;  she was found comatose, and ultimately had a tapeworm removed from her brain.  She survived, and even returned to work, but was... different.  

If you enjoy the stuff, by all means keep on enjoying it!  I just choose not to.  Although I do have fond memories of countless bowls of lomi-lomi....  :blush:

By the way ~ this was local to us:  https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/01/19/579130873/man-pulls-5-1-2-foot-long-tapeworm-out-of-his-body-blames-sushi-habit  :o

(I don't think I know the fella, but I do know the doctor)  

1 hour ago, Rip Snorter said:

Maybe so, maybe not! Sushi for two!  At a really good place, you order two pieces at a time, both so that they are absolutely fresh, and you get whatever quantity is perfect for your appetite.

L1010347.JPG

True, but it adds up quickly.  I'm guessing that that platter, which looks wonderful, is about $65 to $70.  Around here (Sonoma County) an order of 6 small, as in one small bite, maki runs about $12 to $16.  Two nigiri about the same.

2 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

True, but it adds up quickly.  I'm guessing that that platter, which looks wonderful, is about $65 to $70.  Around here (Sonoma County) an order of 6 small, as in one small bite, maki runs about $12 to $16.  Two nigiri about the same.

We probably go for Sushi every 4 to 6 weeks a fancy regular restaurant four or five times a year.  Don't go crazy or order expensive wine, so out here, it doesn't matter what it costs.  Nearly all our meals are scratch cooked at home.

There is a great sushi restaurant in Brentwood, TN. It's called Umami. Best sushi I've ever had. And I've been a sushi eater at various places in the country for all my work career (32 years)

And I know, it's a long way from an ocean. 

Each time we visit our daughter, we go there one night.

10 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

As you likely know, the Japanese term Umami means Savory!

Yeah, my Son, DIL and GrandDaughter live in Okinawa, so I'm quizzing them from time to time on various words.

Archived