SASS Wire Forum

General Question

Snakebite

If you have a questions about the rules of the game, what path do you take to get an answer? Look at the rule books, ask a friend, ask your TG, jump on the wire? How useful are the TGs in today's SASS world? Do they still serve a purpose or are they just filling a spot in the lineup?

Snakebite

From my personal experiences, the local TG's served the troops very well and kept us informed of 'stuff'.

As for rule interpretation, I honestly like the videos by Branchwater Jack.

..........Widder

I am fortunate that over half the matches I shoot have a very well informed TG named Two Dot. Also at most matches I shoot are with a Cowboy/Wild Bunch black pin instructor named Flying W Ramrod. When neither of them are available, I look in the rule book. 

29 minutes ago, Snakebite said:

How useful are the TGs in today's SASS world?

Our TG keeps us updated about rule changes. Please note that while our club is SASS affiliated, not all club members are SASS members.

If I have a question about the rules I look at the SHB first and if still unclear I ask and discuss it at the local match.

I look in the SHB, the RO Guides... then ask PWB.  Our TG is fabulous... keeps us informed, asks for our input on questions or Summit topics... 

Speaking of the tgs.. I know some that are great, I know others that are the TG just because they are the land owner or the oldest guy or voted as most popular at the club, and everything in between.

I do question the relevancy of the TGs today.

As a TG, I try to stay up with rules, clarifications, WTC threads.

I’ve found ~most~ of the time by careful studying the rule book I can come to the correct conclusion. Unfortunately this is not always possible in the heat of the moment. 

one problem I see is many shooters try to bend the rules to what they think (or wish) they are.

Locally we have TOs who are current on SASS rules and make competent calls.  The Handbooks are available as needed.  My experience at EOT and regionals with TOs is quite good too.  Years ago we had some TOs who never took an RO class but they have left the sport.

Here’s where training comes in.  I think that refresher training should be mandatory, too many times I’ve seen a wrong call made because the T O was not current on the rules, then a discussion breaks out and 10+ minutes later there’s a judgement.  While I’m sure there are some good TG’s out there, I think the need for them has passed.   Also @Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 videos are a very good review of the SHB. 

First I look for clarification/answer in the shooter handbook.  Then I ask our TG/my husband if additional information or clarification if necessary.

On 5/19/2022 at 8:14 AM, Snakebite said:

If you have a questions about the rules of the game, what path do you take to get an answer? Look at the rule books, ask a friend, ask your TG, jump on the wire? How useful are the TGs in today's SASS world? Do they still serve a purpose or are they just filling a spot in the lineup?

Snakebite

Just in case you're wondering Snakebite... PWB emails me when he has a question!  :ph34r:

20 minutes ago, Griff said:

Just in case you're wondering Snakebite... PWB emails me when he has a question!  :ph34r:

Everyone needs help sometimes.;)

On 5/19/2022 at 12:44 PM, Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 said:

Speaking of the tgs.. I know some that are great, I know others that are the TG just because they are the land owner or the oldest guy or voted as most popular at the club, and everything in between.

I do question the relevancy of the TGs today.

Finally   

its is actually pretty easy to learn what a rule means.  A good TO, posse marshal, match director or TG can provide an answer when I push too far.

Example: Starting position is hands on hat.

My hat?

TO's hat?

Hat on table, next to rifle?

Hat in hand, Ready to drop?

Pistols in hand, but touching hat?

Shotshells in hand, touching hat?

Well Snakebite, as you know, If someone is the inquisitive type like me,  they can pretty easily wear a TG out with questions that they should already know the answer to.  I try to find answers first by reading, before asking.  But there are times when reading the present day handbooks and manuals just confuses things more if you're a critical reader.  That's when you need an experienced TG to simplify and make sense of things.   

Without doubt there are times when determining the latest rule interpretation is not as easy as one would like. Couple that with Gray Matter becoming more sponge like and it becomes necessary at times to reach out for guidance from another source. I would suggest always starting with reading the rule books. After that there are any number of avenues that can be taken. A TG that takes his/her job seriously should be a good source, but where ever you go, don't just let some zealot give you his/her rendition of what the rule is. I've heard and read many mouths and keyboards spout off into their rant trying to support their version of a rules interpretation. If you don't know, then seek competent advice.  

In this age of internet scholars and legends, I like having a live person at the match. Our TG is a good guy-never seen him turn into a snarky little know it all  like some of the internetz gangs on forums. Answers questions without trying to one up. Available and hands on...hell, in internet forums ,  sometimes you cant even tell

who does actually participate and who's just here playing digital warrior.

Archived