SASS Wire Forum

Velocity

Well, here’s a way to make an educated guess. 

https://www.remington.com/rimfire/22-golden-bullet/29-21001.html

22 Golden Bullet 22 Short

PREVIOUS
22 Golden Bullet
Part # 21001
  • Grain Weight: 29
  • Muzzle Velocity: 1095
  • Package Quantity: 100

Now go to here, Ballistics by the Inch

http://ballisticsbytheinch.com/22.html

Go to the 2nd table down - Real World Ballistics and look at this cartridge. 
CCI
29 gr.
CPRN

The numbers are close to the Remington. This should give you an idea of the velocity from a 2” barrel. 

I read that on the box, but I can't imagine a .22 short of any brand breaking 1000 fps out of a 2" barrel.  I guess that little bitch is hotter that I figured.

Reason I'm asking is I picked up a very nice Navy Arms / Uberti 1A Sharps pepper box copy made back in the last century and decided to see what it can do.  At fifteen feet two of the barrels shoot right through the same hole about a half inch high at 12 o'clock, one is inch high at 1 o'clock and the last on is 2 inches high at 2 o'clock.  Pretty consistent for five loads.  Not bad for something with a 2 inch barrel, a grip the size of half a Fig Newton, a hammer pull that will rupture a tendon in your hand, and really teeny-weeny little sights, but with a nice two and a half pound pull trigger pull.

I'm thinking of fitting with a red dot sight, a pickinniny rail, a laser sight, a flashlight, a bipod, sonic range finder, a trail camera, a sound suppressor, and a bayonet.  Might have it Magna-Ported and camouflage coated too, and am looking at a tactical stock with folding grips fore and aft.  I mean, all the cool dudes do that with their guns, don't they?  :rolleyes:

Most .22 velocities listed by manufacturers are taken from rifle or carbine length test barrels. So a velocity of 1095 fps from that little short is probably from an 18” test barrel. Any longer test barrel and it would lose velocity. It may even be a 16” barrel but manufacturers rarely post the barrel length. 

It is my guess that the .22 short by Remington has a velocity of around 750 fps from a 2” barrel. 

1 hour ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I read that on the box, but I can't imagine a .22 short of any brand breaking 1000 fps out of a 2" barrel.  I guess that little bitch is hotter that I figured.

Reason I'm asking is I picked up a very nice Navy Arms / Uberti 1A Sharps pepper box copy made back in the last century and decided to see what it can do.  At fifteen feet two of the barrels shoot right through the same hole about a half inch high at 12 o'clock, one is inch high at 1 o'clock and the last on is 2 inches high at 2 o'clock.  Pretty consistent for five loads.  Not bad for something with a 2 inch barrel, a grip the size of half a Fig Newton, a hammer pull that will rupture a tendon in your hand, and really teeny-weeny little sights, but with a nice two and a half pound pull trigger pull.

I'm thinking of fitting with a red dot sight, a pickinniny rail, a laser sight, a flashlight, a bipod, sonic range finder, a trail camera, a sound suppressor, and a bayonet.  Might have it Magna-Ported and camouflage coated too, and am looking at a tactical stock with folding grips fore and aft.  I mean, all the cool dudes do that with their guns, don't they?  :rolleyes:

.... you forgot the coffee pot and the toilet roll holder .....  and a bayonet lug for a chainsaw ......   :)

2 hours ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

.... you forgot the coffee pot and the toilet roll holder .....  and a bayonet lug for a chainsaw ......   :)

I don’t go anywhere without my chainsaw 

Ballistics By The Inch

The site doesn't list .22 short, but if you start with the idea that the box velocities are from an 18" barrel and the BBTI site has something close, you should be able to get a ballpark idea of the velocities you're getting without running a chrono.

I've found the site to be reasonably close. Not dead-on, but close.

7 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I don't care who you are, or what you shoot, that there ending is funny........

Knew a fellow who carried a little .22 short Colt Lord single shot derringer in his shirt pocket.  He was attacked one time and shot the attacker in the chest.  The guy ran away, so it worked better than I would have expected.  He never reported the incident and never saw anything in the papers, so I'd guess no one died.

11 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Don't forget the wrist brace!:P

2 3/4 inch derringer gets 850 fps  avg. of 5 rounds, all I had of the round in question.

All rounds in a group of less than 3 inches, at point of aim at 10 yards.

Sorry it took so long, I had to search for the ammo ... 

Jabez Cowboy

11 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Sorta like this?

Mall-Ninja-AR-15.png

Archived