SASS Wire Forum

I can't stand them. Crows suck.

I'm thinking maybe it's time to get crowkiller out of the closet. Dang crows wait until my corn shoots up to 3 or 4 inches and they pull them up to get the kernel off the bottom of it. I've put plastic owls out. I've hung tin pie plates, old cds, you name it. I think I'm gonna sit out there in the morning and give them the what for.

Call Widder!

12 minutes ago, DeaconKC said:

Call Widder!

There ya’ go!!  Get Widder and Red Knee out there ‘n’ tell ‘em they’re those new mechanical clay birds!!

Ya’ kin offer ‘em Moon pies ‘n’ RCs to the one what brings back the most corpses!!!

Nationally, crows are protected under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act, which is enforced by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. However, under federal regulations, crows can be killed without a hunting license or permit when caught threatening or damaging trees, agricultural crops, livestock, or wildlife.

1 hour ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

There ya’ go!!  Get Widder and Red Knee out there ‘n’ tell ‘em they’re those new mechanical clay birds!!

Ya’ kin offer ‘em Moon pies ‘n’ RCs to the one what brings back the most corpses!!!

Are you advocating for a murder of crows?

Drive stakes or pipes into the ground on both sides (approx 18" on either side) of the cornrow and run fishing string between the pieces of pipe in a zigzag pattern so that it forms an X within a rectangle about 18" above each plant. Works on seagulls (flying rats) above swimming pools, probably will work on a small corn crop.

If not, fire away but leave some dead ones at the site. If they're like buzzards, they won't like seeing their dead buddies and won't come back.

I've outsmarted a few of them in my life time.   And I plan to out smart a few more.

Did I ever tell you about the time I got 2 with only 1 shot from my XP-100 in 6mm BR.

They were about 125 yards and didn't know I was ready to ambush them.   They weren't nervous so I waited until 2 of them

got together (one behind the other) in direct line of my crosshairs.

One shot...... 'Heckle and Jeckle'  met their Waterloo.

..........Widder

1 hour ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Nationally, crows are protected under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act, which is enforced by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. However, under federal regulations, crows can be killed without a hunting license or permit when caught threatening or damaging trees, agricultural crops, livestock, or wildlife.

They need to be protected about as much as cockroaches and fire ants.

Streamers of reflective multi colored ribbon on sticks or posts driven into the ground. You can even string the ribbon from one post to another so it dances in the breeze. This keeps geese, crows, pigeons away. 
Something like this:

PartyWoo Silver Ribbon, 500 Yard Curling Ribbon for Crafts, Iridescent Crimped Ribbon, Shiny Metallic Ribbon for Gift Wrapping, Ribbon for Balloons String, Hair, Florist Flower (1 Roll) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B097TG5H7V/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_KS0P4DFTZJ3F4Q6W9VD4

Also, look up “Bird Bombs”. M80 like charges launched from a 12 gauge - These oughta be right up your alley ;)

When these things go off it scares the bejesus out of crows and other birds. A couple of these fired off at random during the day should keep them away. Fireworks mortars will work too. 
There are numerous variations.

Google or DDG “bird bombs 12 gauge” and check them out. 

5 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

In case ya missed it from a month ago....  :rolleyes:

Crows - A Story

So, what you're sayin' is that he needs to get a crow in distress tape and play it at Widder's house to lure the ones in his corn patch away?:D

TW, what'd you do to Widder that makes him pick on you so much? I seen him training them birds to pluck corn plants and transfer em to another spot. Ain't sure it worked exactly right; I told him them dumb crows couldn't hold it all the way to Oklahoma to dive bomb ole Not Widder.

we used to put a CD of a crow and owl fight on a Johnny Stewart game caller an shoot them as they came to it. you. would need to change to different  location after you shot some. they get smart quick. 

Howdy TYREL.

Ole TW didn't have to do anything for me to sniper crows.    I got an old truck that I used when I went varmint hunting.  Its doors were plastered with

Crow and Groundhog stickers showing all my kills until I ran out of sticker room.

Cowboy shooting is my 2nd love.     Varmint hunting is my 1st love.

Give me a good crow/groundhog/coyote field and a cooler of Pepsi with a couple BeeLoney samiches and I'll be a happy camper all day long.

:lol:

..........Widder

we were out in the country between corn fields and the edge of the woods. I remember putting on the tape of a squealing rabbit at my home and calling in every cat and hawk in miles

@Widder, SASS #59054,

Before you head out to TN's field, you'll need a great disguise to blend in. :ph34r:

MOV_LoneRanger_Depp2_2375.thumb.jpg.c347f17a1f7de7c04aeb855cba41af34.jpg

4 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Father Cool.........  that IS me!

:D

..........Widder

360_F_188850892_Z41LHoKhAvTUox9XxfXd3xFOgCQesgyI.jpg.e2dede5cf7265b7ea1d3fecc49453bb7.jpg

Archived