SASS Wire Forum

While wandering through the local antique store

I spotted a nice brown felt hat. A bit pricey at 175 but this place has stupid high prices on most everything.

iI picked it up. Other than a missing hat band, it was a 10x beaver in excellent condition. It fit.
It was a Rand!

I thought about it all the way home. I need it like I need psoriasis but……… if I haven’t stopped thinking about it by bedtime hmmmmm :unsure:

10 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I spotted a nice brown felt hat. A bit pricey at 175 but this place has stupid high prices on most everything.

iI picked it up. Other than a missing hat band, it was a 10x beaver in excellent condition. It fit.
It was a Rand!

I thought about it all the way home. I need it like I need psoriasis but……… if I haven’t stopped thinking about it by bedtime hmmmmm :unsure:

Rand is expensive - also high quality.  Haven't bought there yet, but I have a bunch of custom hats.  New made 10X, I think just under $500.

7 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

Rand is expensive - also high quality.  Haven't bought there yet, but I have a bunch of custom hats.  New made 10X, I think just under $500.

Yeah. I actually had a pattern of my noggin made at there booth at the Cowboy Christmas show in Vegas. They probably still have it on file but I’ve never pulled the trigger. This one fit like it was made for me.

17 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Yeah. I actually had a pattern of my noggin made at there booth at the Cowboy Christmas show in Vegas. They probably still have it on file but I’ve never pulled the trigger. This one fit like it was made for me.

At least 8 years ago, I saw a hat at the Safari Club Convention in Las Vegas.  For some reason couldn't order it, so took a photo.  Without remembering, I ordered a virtually identical custom hat from Law Dog.  Came across the photo a little while ago - spooky!  I came out ahead on that deal!  When it fits perfectly and you like it, go.  I'd bet Rand will clean and reline it for a reasonable price

The 10X hat from Rand is their economy grade hat, the lowest beaver fur content and likely mostly rabbit or nutrea fur.  STILL, a new one is usually priced around $500.00!!!

Disagree 10x is not the lowest grade, but well up there.  Beaver also comes in 5x and 8x,10x, etc. . I have had both 5 and 8 as well as a few 10x, all are attractive and durable, with an edge of luxury to the 10x.  Even Stetson offers those three grades in beaver, as well as higher grades.

1 hour ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

The 10X hat from Rand is their economy grade hat, the lowest beaver fur content and likely mostly rabbit or nutrea fur.  STILL, a new one is usually priced around $500.00!!!

This is marked a 10x Beaver not just 10x.

“Economy” is a very flexible term. :D

Show us a pic after you go back and get it. But always negotiate!

I have decided I am not going back to get it.

……until I finish my coffee

The “X” connotation is indicative of the beaver fur content in the felt.  Different hatters use different “X” ratings which often leads to confusion for the buyer.  In this case, they use 10X to denote that the beaver content is somewhere around 10-15%.

If Rand uses Winchester hat bodies, there are generally three actual grades of hat body.  10-15% beaver, 50% beaver, and 100% beaver.  The remaining content is generally rabbit.  Winchester is the only hat body felter in the US.  

Some hatters use imported hat bodies.  Nothing wrong with these imports. I’ve used a few of them myself and have had no complaints.

When buying a custom made cowboy hat, always check to see what “X” system they use. Mine was 15X for the economy or 15% hat body, 50X for the 50% body, and 100X for the pure 100% beaver fur felt hat.

I usually wear a 15X hat. It’s one that everyone expects to see me in.  I have others that come out occasionally, in every other grade.

That 15X is nearly 20 years old and has been soaked, sweated, stained, slightly burned, and otherwise treated badly and it’s held up really well!

Here it is…

73713F38-AD3A-4832-ACFF-B3A32912B246.jpeg

Geez, a 100X Beaver must be a tad pricey. My 4X Resistol has done well so far with rain and sweat.

3 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Geez, a 100X Beaver must be a tad pricey. My 4X Resistol has done well so far with rain and sweat.

The year that I retired from my hat business, which was 2017, I was selling the 100% beaver hat, shaped to suit the purchaser, and finished with a standard hat band for $850.00 at SASS matches where I was a vendor.

That same year, at shows and rodeo events around Las Vegas, the same hat was selling for $1,000.00 to $1,500,00 with similar trim.

I have all the hats I should ever need. I haven’t priced a hat body or a hat in three or four years.  I shudder to think what a true top of the line hat is going for, new, these days.

2 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

The year that I retired from my hat business, which was 2017, I was selling the 100% beaver hat, shaped to suit the purchaser, and finished with a standard hat band for $850.00 at SASS matches where I was a vendor.

That same year, at shows and rodeo events around Las Vegas, the same hat was selling for $1,000.00 to $1,500,00 with similar trim.

I have all the hats I should ever need. I haven’t priced a hat body or a hat in three or four years.  I shudder to think what a true top of the line hat is going for, new, these days.

That has got to be a handsome hat, they say the hat makes the man.

My 100X, modeled by my grandson, several years ago…

FDD612D3-B3CD-4E2D-B9F7-8997B8CE249F.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Uhhhh - is there supposed to be a picture there? Because there ain't.

16 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Based on your expertise what is the real difference between a 10x or 20x and 100X.  Are there some "Real" factors or is it just a quest for the best?

4 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

Based on your expertise what is the real difference between a 10x or 20x and 100X.  Are there some "Real" factors or is it just a quest for the best?

The difference in content is certainly evident in the texture, weight, and durability.

A pure beaver felt hat is practically waterproof. It takes a serious soaking for water to completely penetrate one of these. Most hatters use pressurized steam to shape felt hats and it takes a lot more of it to shape a100X hat.

The top guality hat is physically lighter in weight, the felt much tighter and the body stiffer while the feel is smoother.

It will remain that way, given even marginal care, for the lifetime of its owner and often for that of a second generation as well.

It can be cleaned, blocked, and reshaped repeatedly and maintain its integrity indefinitely.

Most will likely require only replacement of the liner and sweatband, and that several times, over the life of the hat, only requiring proper cleaning otherwise.

3 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

I touched a 100x once. Before the security guard chased me away.

In all of the times that I displayed my wares, I never once stopped anyone from touching, feeling, or even trying on one of my hats.  If I can’t “test drive” the merchandise, you’ll never sell it to me!  I wouldn’t expect anyone to experience anything less!

UB! I hope you’re joking about not being able to try on a really high quality chapaeu!!

30 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

In all of the times that I displayed my wares, I never once stopped anyone from touching, feeling, or even trying on one of my hats.  If I can’t “test drive” the merchandise, you’ll never sell it to me!  I wouldn’t expect anyone to experience anything less!

UB! I hope you’re joking about knot being able to try on a really high quality chapaeu!!

Yeah. Kidding.  I thought it was humorous. 

30 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

If I can’t “test drive” the merchandise, you’ll never sell it to me!

That's the mark of a salesman.

I was maybe 17. Standing in Western Auto looking at the guns in the rack. Not only was I not old enough to legally buy a gun, but I didn't have no money. Did not stop me from looking. Salesman come over and asked if he could help me. I told him I was looking at whatever the hell it was I was looking at, and he opened the case and took it out and handed it to me. "You can't look at something with your eyes alone. You have to look at it with your hands."

Ain't never forgot that.

Hey! Sammy!  I’ve built several of those, but I’m pretty sure yous isn’t one of them.  Mace Bishop was the first.  He walked into my tent at the first US Open while I was shaping a hat for another customer, picked up my hat and plopped it on his head while declaring  loudly that he liked his new hat!!

It fit him perfectly, but I didn’t have another hat body like it in stock.  He said that that was fine, to make him one EXACTLY like it, and paid cash in advance for it!!

I think he sold half a dozen more like it for me over the years!!

51 minutes ago, Alpo said:

That's the mark of a salesman.

I was maybe 17. Standing in Western Auto looking at the guns in the rack. Not only was I not old enough to legally buy a gun, but I didn't have no money. Did not stop me from looking. Salesman come over and asked if he could help me. I told him I was looking at whatever the hell it was I was looking at, and he opened the case and took it out and handed it to me. "You can't look at something with your eyes alone. You have to look at it with your hands."

Ain't never forgot that.

Yep, a "Revelation" ! IIRC. A cool store in the day for a kid. I think 22s were 50 cents a box!

Got my first set of ice skates at the Western Auto Store on Rt. 22 outside Kennilworth, NJ. in 1960.

The guy that ran the store insisted that we try them on, despite the fact that the boxes were sealed.

It’s a good thing, because none of the figure skates would fit. The salesman looked at my parents who wanted me to learn how to skate badly. He hesitated for only a second and smiled. He jumped up and returned shortly with a cool looking pair of two tone, all leather hockey skates!!  They fit perfectly! My mom had really wanted me to start out on figure skates, but I was thrilled!

Folks just took pride in doing right by customers back then!

6 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

I rode bulls only wore a Resistol Black Gold (20X) won a Stetson El Presidente (100xIn a bull ride wore that the next day   They go up to the Diamante which is 1000x and 5500.00

6 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

FDD612D3-B3CD-4E2D-B9F7-8997B8CE249F.jpeg

That is one handsome hombre there! :o

Bet when he grows up enough to fill that hat, he'll have ALL the ladies after him. ;)

22 minutes ago, PowerRiverCowboy said:

I rode bulls only wore a Resistol Black Gold (20X) won a Stetson El Presidente (100xIn a bull ride wore that the next day   They go up to the Diamante which is 1000x and 5500.00

Hard to hurt a quality hat! ;)

We don't have beaver in Oz, but we do have gazillions of rabbits and around 14 rabbit skins go into one of our Akubra hats and they certainly can take a weather beating and 30-40 year life of the hat is normal.

Archived