SASS Wire Forum

Society for American Baseball Research.

Subdeacon Joe

Oh I’ve heard them talk about if for quite a while now.

I still don’t understand most of it. 

18 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Oh I’ve heard them talk about if for quite a while now.

I still don’t understand most of it. 

I heard an announcer mention OSP and looked that up and in the definition was "sabermetrics" so I had to look that up.

I've probably heard the word before but it was just background blathering.  

They have so many stats now it’s amazing. Sportscasters and research nerds love it.

I just need a beer and a dog. :lol:

A good example of sabermetrics is in the movie Moneyball with Brad Pitt.  Had to watch it for extra credit in a class for my MBA.  It kind of explains it ok-ish.  Basically, data analytics on how the player performs (hits, how many times the player gets on base, etc.) and then how to build a team around them.  Created a lot of waves with the scouts, not sure how it is being used currently in professional baseball.  But data analytics is becoming more prominent in a lot of other industries.  I was an analyst for one of the heavy equipment dealers where I am located and even then, data analytics wasn't very well understood either.  

28 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

They have so many stats now it’s amazing. Sportscasters and research nerds love it.

I just need a beer and a dog. :lol:

In 2022, the National Hot Dog and Sausage Council (NHDSC) estimates MLB fans will consume 19.1 million hot dogs and nearly five million sausages at games this season.

1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

In 2022, the National Hot Dog and Sausage Council (NHDSC) estimates MLB fans will consume 19.1 million hot dogs and nearly five million sausages at games this season.

That's just a day at the ballpark for Joey Chestnut.:lol:

They're a no kidding serious academic society.  There are a lot of niche societies within the history discipline; this is just one of many.  I was a member of the Society for the History of the Early American Republic for a while, as well as the Society of Civil War Historians.  As much as I love baseball, I've never joined SABR.

9 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

4 billion kernels of popcorn and a trillion peanuts?

Archived