SASS Wire Forum

Undoing an Abomination...

Bisley Joe

My 12 year old nephew is visiting this summer, so I got this little Henry .22 lever action for cheap. Someone seems to have laser etched or, more likely burned, some stuff on the stock. The feathers on the right aren't too bad, and the flourishes on the grip section can be forgiven. But the rabbit and the tree on the other side, and worst of all, the "leather" pad carving on the foregrip, I believe are beyond horrible. And to top it all off, like frosting a chocolate cake with vomit, is the horrendous varnish!

I tried stripper for the varnish, but my goodness the STENCH!!! So I switched to a little knife and scraped the varnish off. Then I took some sand paper to it (80/120/300), followed by some Danish Oil.

An enjoyable time while playing old cowboy songs, Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard...

I suppose I could spend some more time with the sand paper, but I think it's good for a little rifle that will be used.

IMG_6281.jpeg

IMG_6284.jpeg

IMG_6302.jpeg

IMG_6303.jpeg

IMG_6304.jpeg

Can't wait to get home later and put the stock back on. I'll post that picture later.

Too each his own. As a boy I would have loved to have been the only kid with an engraved gun. Especially one that looked like it had been hand done by a frontiersman or Indian brave.

Archived