SASS Wire Forum

Bigfoot? Sasquatch? What about ghosts?

Doc Shapiro

I am hosting two ghosts in my house. one goes back to when we bought the place and the second showed up about six years ago.  Both are benign and non-intrusive.  The dog hasn't seen the older one, but she's on good terms with the second.

11 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I am hosting two ghosts in my house. one goes back to when we bought the place and the second showed up about six years ago.  Both are benign and non-intrusive.  The dog hasn't seen the older one, but she's on good terms with the second.

I found out my band was booked to play at a hotel that is reportedly haunted.  While reading up about it, a song popped into my head.  It was eerie.

9 minutes ago, Doc Shapiro said:

I found out my band was booked to play at a hotel that is reportedly haunted.  While reading up about it, a song popped into my head.  It was eerie.

Does it happen to be named Hotel California?

Be careful -- you can check out any time you like but you can't ever leave !

I don't know about ghosts or bigfoots (bigfeet?), but I once worked with a pretty young woman who did some very supernatural seeming things.  She shared office space with me and one other man.  Right out of silence and with no prior conversation she routinely would blurt out the answer to questions ---- before anyone asked them.  The other fellow and I would just stare at each other in disbelief.   She did this often and just laughed at our reactions.  

She moved on to a teaching job and I did not see her for 28 years.  One day, I received a 3-word email from an unrecognized cryptic address that said, "See you tomorrow".  I immediately  deleted it, thinking it was some kind of malware or phishing.

The next evening, after sitting in meetings all day in Sacramento,  150 miles from home, I ran into the woman in a book store.   She said she had sent me the email.  I asked where she found my address and she just laughed.

A girl I dated, when in college, told me that, sometimes, right after she got in bed, and before she fell asleep, she, many times, would see an entity enter her room. It would be a person she knew, and the entity would appear sometime before, they died, or just when they died. 

She said they did not speak, or interact with her, they just would come into the bedroom, and linger for a bit, and then leave.

The next day, or days, or weeks, not too long, she would find out they had died.

She told me her mother, and her grandmother, had the same "gift". Her mother, and grandmother, were part Cherokee. 

I flat told her, if she saw me, in that situation, not to tell me. I didn't want to know.

She, and I, do not believe in ghosts, but perhaps she had some sort of extra-sensory perception, that caused these premonitions.

4 hours ago, Doc Shapiro said:

Can’t find “eerie”. if you hum a few bars, maybe I’ll remember it.

6 hours ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

The next evening, after sitting in meetings all day in Sacramento,  150 miles from home, I ran into the woman in a book store.   She said she had sent me the email.  I asked where she found my address and she just laughed.

Stalker.:P

I've never experienced anything other than those occasions when I feel a presence, as if following me. :o

Snip-it_1652877408852.jpg.e8a119e595e7dce5a1b95fb3e2a062e3.jpg

I have not encountered a ghost. I do see some weird stuff in my dreams as I experience lucid and vivid dreams, sometimes sort of shifting between the two. In control and directing my dreams one minute, then lose control of them later. Sometimes they end, or plunge into silliness, others times into dark and distorted melodramas. Point being, I have had several episodes of these types of dreams, particularly as a child (4-5 y/o), that were super realistic, and had spiritual and demonic agents in them. Upon awakening, they seemed completely real and to this day there are memories and brief flashbacks of those episodes that resurrect a vivid recollection of those moment . Closest thing to give some context to this was when Froto put on the ring and went to a sort of spirt world seeing the Nazgul, only mine were full color and not distorted, but a sense of a physical interaction with the spirit world.

It would take quite a bit of time and energy to type in my experiences on my phone. Suffice it to say I have experienced many things I have no explanation for. If I have time, I will elaborate on some when I’m at my computer.

There is no such thing as ghosts, now Bigfoot and /or Aliens could be but I never saw them!

I do know that if you’re in the woods at night and a herd of Angus/Hereford cross cattle (black body/white face)are nearby they will make you believe in haints until you figure out what they are.

A few days after my dad died, we invited his fishing buddy (Jim)to meet us at dad's house to give him some of the lures they made together for their fishing trips. It was a little workbench made of a section of bowling alley maple with a large fluorescent light overhead. He kept the light unplugged as it made a loud hum, and used a small desk lamp for tasks. Shortcake and I were sorting things and heard Jim walk in the back door. We hollered that we were in the basement. As he started down the stairs, the unplugged overhead light came on (it was around 2pm). We just stared at the light in silence. Jim stopped on the stairs. I told him to come down and look at this light. He replied he could see just fine from where he was. The light then flickered and went off.  Nobody was really scared, just startled from something so unexpected. We figured dad was saying hi to us and his old fishing buddy. 

The spookiest one I recall didn't happen to me but an ex girlfriend.  She had broken up with me after a couple of years together and was living with another guy.  She arrived at my place early one morning pale and shaken.  She had a dream where she was on line at a concentration camp and they were walking toward an officer who was sending people one way to live and work, the other way to be gassed.  When she arrived at the front of the line, the officer was the new boyfriend.  She awoke and sat up.  He muttered in his sleep "Don't worry sweetie, I wouldn't gas you" and turned over.  Go figure!

Several years ago, I visited the Medicine Wheel in Wyoming.  At the time, there was no real accommodation for the handicapped except for parking, and I hadn’t been actually declared handicapped back then, but I was struggling a little to walk any distance.  The walk was approximately half a mile each way.

I made the trip up to the site with only a little difficulty. Schoolmarm and I spent a good hour around this holy place of our native brothers and took in all of the scenery. 

On the way back, Schoolmarm easily outdistanced me. She’s a walker and half marathon participant. I made the downhill stretch fairly easily, but at the bottom of the saddleback, I stopped to ease the pain in my bad leg and took a seat on a bench beside the path.  When I resumed the walk, a pretty good breeze hit me from behind and seemed to help me along.  I stopped again about halfway up the grade for another brief rest. The air was still until I started up the hill again and as soon as I turned toward the parking lot, the breeze, like a gentle hand, started pushing me up the hill.

It was an experience that I won’t forget.  I don’t know about ghosts, but I’m certain that SOMETHING spiritual was in play.

I have been in houses and in areas where feelings of dread and anxiety have come over me for no reason.

Once my Dad was hired to tear down and burn a log cabin in the woods of Pennsylvania. This was in 1969 or 1970.The cabin had been built around 1800.

The people that owned it claimed it was haunted. My Dad told them that they could sell the cabin by the log foot and make a  bundle on it if they would allow him to broker the sale of the cabin. He would take it down and sell it. The owners were so adamant about the razing that the owner sat in his truck and watched us tear down and burn everything. The job was a pretty big one. It took 4 days. The owner was on site all 4 days. I went to work with my Dad for this and I recall being in the root cellar and the air got cold as ice and I felt like my heart was stopping. i got the hell pout of there quick. I thought the owners were a little nutty up to that point. My helpfulness  in tearing down that place went way up after that.

I have a few more but I won't be a thread hog. Mostly experiences in really old homes in PA as a kid similar to what I wrote above.

2 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

There is no such thing as ghosts, now Bigfoot and /or Aliens could be but I never saw them!

You obviously haven't been paying attention to the news for years...Just look at any National Enquirer, man. They're real! It's in print! :lol:

I have shared this privately in detail, but will summarize here.  

I was 11 when my father died, and his last request was that I would behave myself and live as he had taught me.  At age 16, I was about to start down the wrong path, with the wrong crowd, and my father paid me a visit.  I recognized his features, his voice, and he asked me a simple question "Son, what have you been doing?"   I was so afraid and ashamed that I fled from him (as if I could even get out of his presence).  That was the turning point in my life, and at 19 I began my law enforcement career with the Georgia State Patrol as a Communications Officer.   I've begged my father to please visit again, as I no longer would be ashamed for him to see me, but alas, it has not occurred.  I'm thankful that I will see him again in eternity....

Here's some more to the story about the clairvoyant  woman at my work.  (I was reluctant to tell this part, because it is hard to believe and after many years is still real unclear to me.)

As background, we worked at the Ca Department of Fish and Game, where I was, at the time, the Fisheries Supervisor.   The woman (call her JoAnne) was a member of my field sampling team, collecting adult America Shad for reproductive stage analysis at a nearby reservoir, Millerton Lake. 

This was the World's only known landlocked reproductive American Shad population.  Pacific Gas and Electric Company was relicensing their Kerckhoff Hydroelectric Project at the lake inlet.  We were a part of the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission's environmental analysis, trying to determine if the relicenced and much enlarged hydro operation would affect the fish adversely.  

We randomly collected individuals from the population weekly, to evaluate reproductive maturity.   Every week we had been setting out overnight two very large (150m long by 15m high) drifting monofilament Gill nets near the lake inlet.  Typically we would collect from a few to 50 or more Shad, depending on the lunar phase. 

We set the nets out right at dark, then slept while they fished until daylight. Typically, we tied one end of the net at the shore, then  one person drove the big pontoon boat in reverse, while the others payed out the big, bulky nets over the bow.   The nets made a vertical wall across about a quarter of the reservoir inlet. 

JoAnne had been a part of the samplibg team for about two years when she got word of her teaching job appointment and left the program.  At the same time, my other field assistant also moved to another job, suddenly leaving me with research responsibilities and no trained crew. 

I decided to go up alone and set the nets.  Joanne told me not to do it, but at the time I had that invincible attitude that most young men have.

At the second sampling station, I had the boat idling in slow reverse and  was slowly feeding out the net through a wide opening in the bow railing.  The 80 lb mono of the net  snagged on the rail, so I  moved up to free it, walking on the bulky net.   In an instant, I was down on the deck, then in the water, with the net caught on my shoe and the boat backing away, pulling the net tight.   

The lake closed its public gates  at dark each day, and it was unlawful for any non-official boat to be on the water.  So being rescued was not going to happen.  

I bobbed around, trying to free my foot from the shoe, when suddenly the boat engine died.  It was a new engine that had never unexpectedly died previously. 

Without the engine pulling against me, I was able to pull on the net and draw the boat toward me.  Exhausted, I climbed over the bow and lay there resting.  

I finished dutifully setting out the net, finishing under the near-full moon  about 10:00 PM.  I then drove over to the sand bar where we normally camped, built a small driftwood fire, dried out my clothes and shoes, ate my sub sandwich dinner and  climbed onto the beached pontoon boat to sleep-- away from the abundant  rattlesnakes.  

Hours later I was awakened by the boat rocking wildly, side to side, with the aluminum pontoons booming against the the sand.  That normally occurred in a boat wake, which meant that a fisherman had illegally stayed overnight.   We would have to scramble to keep them from running across and fouling in the shallowly submerged nets.  I jumped up and instinctively rushed to the boat controls. 

But there was no other boat !  The lake was glass smooth in the moonlight, except for the circle of big waves emanating from my pounding boat.  I note that the boat was just shy of 8' wide, so it normally required good sized waves to rock it side-to- side.  The rocking lasted another minute or two, then the motion stopped and the ring of waves attenuated.  "Earthquake?  I wondered.

I climbed back into my warm sleeping bag and faded.

The next morning, I hauled in the nets, processed the samples and headed back to the office.  Just before noon, my desk phone rang.  JoAnne's voice said, "Dale, that was scary-- are you OK?"   I instaly felt goose bumps traversing my body and I welled up with tears.   How did she know?  Had  she intervened?  Did she rock the boat to communicate? I just don't know those answers.  But I cannot simply dismiss the idea that there is another  dimension in which each of us participates differentially. 

(This is a totally true story). 

5 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Bigfoot lives.  Evidence: Andre The Giant, Shaq, Janet Reno, Merlin Olsen (a school mate of mine), Lou Ferrigno,  Man Mountain Dean, Suzi Plakson, and many others.

Have experienced different preternatural situations in my life. As a kid, due to a family member's delving into some things that should be avoided, I experienced a great deal of seeing dark shapes, hearing my name called right in my ear, having my ankle grabbed while lying in bed...

It got so bad that I got sick. One night, just before bed, I found my old First Communion book with a Rosary in it. I was about 15. I made a decision in that moment to trust only in Christ and His Church, and the visions etc. stopped cold that night.

Years later, about 20 years later, as an adult, I stupidly got involved with an old high school crush I bumped into. She was, shall we say, very enthusiastic in certain ways, and quite the "player". In her house I started to experience things once again. I won't go into too much detail here, but I saw a figure run across the house, the soap dispenser having emptied its contents more than once, the bedroom closet door opening even when locked, movement through the underside of the door and no-one else in the house, and one time several pale blue orbs around the size of golf balls to baseballs hovering just feet away.

She said something was in the closet, and she had had the light switch re-located to the outside. She was terrified of the pool at night.

The worst incident was not in the house though. I convinced her to go to Mass with me, as I was realizing I had strayed from the path and wanted her to also right her life. Upon entering the church she complained of feeling ill.  The closer the consecration of the Eucharist got, the worse she felt and paler she got, until, as the priest began the consecration, she rushed outside and threw up. An ambulance was called because it seemed she was on the edge of a heart attack-with chest pains etc. She spent two days in the hospital undergoing tests. Nothing was found.

I spoke to a priest about the issues in the house (didn't mention the incident at Church). He gave me some Holy Water and told me to bless the house. "If it stops it was something minor. If it gets worse, call me."

I proceeded to bless the house when she wasn't home. Didn't know at the time but this was not under my authority, so I opened myself up for unpleasant possibilities. When I got to the closet in the bedroom and approached the closet, the fact that this was not my home and that I did not have authority, was very clearly instilled in me. I literally felt like I was about to corner something that did not want to be cornered. I stopped there.

Later that day I told the lady about what I did, hoping she would have me call the priest. Her reaction was to become extremely angry, livid, and spewing profanities, tell me "I made a deal with this house! It leaves me alone and I leave it alone! Now you come in and &*^% it all up?!"

I then thought of the incident at the church. Before I got half way the priest asked "Did she throw up?" I replied that she had, and he said this was a sign of likely demonic possession or at least serious oppression.

Needless to say, I skedaddled, and fast.

Never spoke to her again.

Have found that "ghosts" are the spirits of someone who died. They are not evil and do not cause a sense of dread. They are, however, asking for help. It is prudent to try and find who it could be: previous residents of the home, etc. and then have a mass offered for that person. This often solves the issue soon.

Trying to communicate is a big no-no. All we can do is pray and offer a mass.

A sense of dread, violent incidents, etc. are not a ghost. That would be something diabolical. Trying to communicate is a big no-no, even more so here. It is a good idea to do as the priest above advised me.

I was sleeping on the couch not quite completely asleep or so it seemed.  In my dream I was also asleep on the couch. I felt a distinct tap on my shoulder. I woke up (in my dream) enough to turn and see a man turning and walking away from me. Didn't see his face facing me but saw enough of his profile as he turned away to realize it was my dad. It was as if he was checking up on me. Really shook me up at first, it seemed so real.

I've got 2

When I was 16 I got talked into participating in a seance. I was a complete sceptic. Kept my eyes slightly open and saw nothing. After they said it was over, they told me told the year make and model including plate number of my Dad's last car. He had passed 4 years previous and these girls had just met me and never knew my family. Odd

The other was in my 50's..... The wife and I went to check out some real estate that included a house that was partially burnt and the occupant died in the fire. This was in the fall and probably about 60 out. We were walking down the hallway and I walked thru about a 4 foot section that was freezing cold. I didn't say anything right away and once we were back outside I mentioned it to Ellie. She felt it too, but didn't want to say anything and hear me tell her she was nuts! The cold spot was not there when we came back up the hall and no door ways where the cold section was. To this day we are still amazed how cold that section of the hall was.

Oh another one. My father in law seemed to have 6th sense. One night at a family dinner at their house, we were just finishing eating and having coffee. Suddenly Dad told my BIL that he needed to get home ASAP which was about a 40 minute ride. Gary called us about an hour later. As he walked in the door he heard sort of thump in the basement. When he went down to check, the furnace had leaked a bunch of oil due to a bad nozzle and there was fire just started on the floor. Creapy! Dad always knew about 5 seconds before the phone would ring and who it was for. Never seemed to know the caller though. Damn I miss him:( RIP Mom & Dad

Southeast Ohio EMS, Glouster Station 03, in the old train depot, right on the town square.

My partner was the widow of the Trimble town marshal who was killed when a fleeing felon rammed him.
Ted had time enough to bail out of his vehicle, draw and fire one shot from his Victory model.

The starburst detonated right in front of the driver's face: had Ted a revolver with a healthy payload he'd have "kilt the b'ar that kilt him."

That was two years before I became a medic there.

It wasn't uncommon for locals to come to station for medical care, so when we heard the screen door open, we'd look --

Door's shut --

-- we'd hear the inside door open, then close, and we'd hear measured footfalls come down the hallway into the living room.

Halfway down the hall was the bunk room and in front of the bunk room, a squeaky board; when the footsteps got to the board we'd hear it groan as if a man's weight stepped on it, then passed on.

The footsteps came as far as our living room; a pause, then they retreated at the same deliberate, measured pace, cre-e-eak, and we'd hear the doors open, and shut, while we watched them ...

... we heard them, but they didn't move ...

Trimble Marshal Ted Holcomb was coming in as he usually did, to make sure his wife and her crew were okay.

One night I was standing in the hall, on that squeaky board, and Ted's shade passed through me.

I never felt such a profound cold in my life, and as he did, the board sagged a little under my polished Wellington boot.

The other time was after Granddad Beymer died.

My best friend's father and grandfather died within five days of one another.

The old man would wait up if any of the family was out after dark, he'd set on his homemade deacon's bench with his hands folded over his cane, his broke brim hat pulled down and his pendulous bottom lip run out and he'd set there until his family was safely home.

I was pallbearer for that fine man.

About a week after we buried them both, we -- my best friend, his mother and I -- went over to Adamsville to my buddy's college dorm mates' farm and we had a good old fashioned Welsh sing.

My best friend had perfect pitch and it was a delightful evening.

We came home, I said my goodbyes, got in my rusty old Dodge and pulled out and as I always did, took a final look back across their yard.

As Bob and Eleanor were going up the sidewalk to the back door, Granddad was settin' on his deacon's bench, bottom lip run out, hands over his cane and his broke brim hat pulled down low as he always wore it.

I felt such a comfort -- "Granddad always waits for his family," thought I, then --

GRANDDAD???

I looked back, and the Deacon's bench was empty.

Mama had the Second Sight.

When she was a little girl, she looked in the black glass mirror of her nighttime bedroom window and saw -- as if she saw it in the noonday sun -- a neighbor's car come down the ridge road, take a sudden hard turn off the road and straight down the ridge face.

She saw their car ram a white oak and catch fire and she felt husband and wife within burn to death.

Mama was a scared little girl, she ran downstairs crying for the comfort of her Mama's arms, and her Mama took a belt and whipped her back up the steps, scolding her for lying.

Next day Mama was in the kitchen and her Mama was fixing a meal, when there come a knock on the door.

It was a neighbor who told Grandma about the car breaking a tie rod, running down the ridge face, ramming an oak and killing two people they both knew.

Mama stood there, silent, regarding her Mama with big brown eyes.

Grandma turned and hissed at her, "Witch!"

Over the years she tried to beat the Sight out of my Mama.

She did not succeed.

The prison I used to work at had several ghosts there from executed inmates. I never saw one, but lots of folks have reported seeing them.

I'd mentioned Station 03 that was haunted by the Marshal's ghost... well, here's an un-ghost story ...

We had another paramedic station I worked -- 02, Coolville.

By accident, the bunkroom was built out over the grave of a Revolutionary War soldier.

Quietest, most peaceful bunkroom in the system.

You couldn't raise Hell in that bunkroom with two Irishmen and a quart of whiskey!

My wife's nephew, Charlie, living in Washington State, developed a major brain aneurysm.   At the same time her father was in the final, fatal stages of esophageal cancer, down here in Fresno,  California.  Her Dad passed away at home one Friday afternoon, with my wife and me in close attendance.   

Her nephew was simultaneously undergoing brain surgery, up in Portland.  When he awoke from the anesthesia, the first words out of his mouth to my wife's sister (his Mom) were, "Gee I'm real sorry to hear about Grandpa passing". 

No one in Washington had yet been made  aware of the events down here in Fresno.

My daughter Riley was born just after my uncle Jim passed away. She and I were riding down a back road when she was 3 or 4 years old. We happened to pass where my uncle had lived and I said, that's where Uncle Jim lived. She didn't say anything for about a quarter of a mile. She then said "Uncle Jim had to pull a brown car out of the ditch right there", and pointed. Now, I didn't pay much attention to her because she was only 3 or 4 and I figured she was just talking like kids do, so I just said "I know". Boy, she slung her head around real quick and said, "Uncle Jim said you do not know!" Now that freaked me out a little so I called my cousin, Uncle Jim's daughter and told her what Riley had said. She got quiet on the phone and asked me where exactly we were when Riley said that. I told her and she freaked out too. Apparently she had snuck out of the house a long time ago in her brown Dodge and had run off the road right where Riley had said. And yes, she had to get her daddy, my Uncle Jim to pull her out of the ditch.

I've also lived in 2 haunted houses. My grandmother was Cherokee and one of her daughters was a self proclaimed witch. I could fill a book with all the crap I've had happen.

The closest I've come to the paranormal was a bigfoot encounter near Seneca Rocks in WVA.  I was out there with a friend.  Camping and climbing during the day.  Late one night (no idea of the time), we were awoken and in a great state of unreasonable fear.  Something bipedal, and really big, was walking about the campsite.  The footsteps just sounded massive.  Neither one of us was brave enough to turn on a light and look.  Next morning, some stuff on the table was moved about, and what had been a full soda can was empty and crushed tighter than either of us could do.  There were 17 or 18 inch long footprints, near on an inch deep in the dirt.  Wish I had stuff to cast 'em.  Most folks don't believe it.

22 hours ago, Doc Shapiro said:

Ghost riders? ;)

Archived