SASS Wire Forum

What type of plastic, if any, can hold up to Hoppes No9?

ptmn

I'm sure someone on the forum has knocked over a 32 oz bottle of Hoppes No9 bore solvent like me.

I've been thinking about pouring some Hoppes in small plastic dropper bottles to make it more convenient and to minimize the mess and loss if I knock the bottle over again

I tried it with my military issue CLP squeeze bottles they issued in our individual cleaning kits but the plastic wouldn't hold up. 

Was looking online and the most common small squeeze bottles are made of the following plastics: HDPE, LDPE and PET.

Has anyone successfully used any of those types of plastic with Hoppes No9 or Ballistol?

Howdy

I don't mess with big bottles. The jar on the left has Ballistol in it, the jar on the right has some very dirty Hoppes #9 in it. I keep these little jars in my cleaning kit. A little jar like this full of Ballistol goes into the ammo box on my gun cart for CAS matches.

pnlWpJiYj

Move on up to a spray can of CLP (or one of several modern bore cleaners).  Cleans better and no glass and no banana oil smell.

good luck, GJ

Ive used the cheap clear squirt bottles from hobby lobby...never had a problem. They deform a touch, but dont melt through or anything. 

I bought three plastic spray bottles at Krogers.  I think they are meant for cleaning liquids, but I have had 100% Ballistol in one and Moose Milk in the other for over two years and they work fine.  I put Windex in the 3rd for some variety.  They have yet to leak or disform and only cost $2.99 each.

10 hours ago, Driftwood Johnson, SASS #38283 said:

Howdy

I don't mess with big bottles. The jar on the left has Ballistol in it, the jar on the right has some very dirty Hoppes #9 in it. I keep these little jars in my cleaning kit. A little jar like this full of Ballistol goes into the ammo box on my gun cart for CAS matches.

pnlWpJiYj

Good Idea, and a product I use regularly!

Thanks for all the replies. I really like the Amazon link Doc Shapiro posted. I'm going to order those, since their 2 ounce size is perfect and they are affordably priced. 

I didn't know this could be an issue with Hoppes. I've transferred to several different plastic bottles with out any problems.

I use these basic cheapest plastic squeeze bottles I got on Amazon:

Axe Sickle 400 mL Plastic Squeeze Squirt Condiment Bottle for Ketchup Salad Dressing Mustard Olive Oil, Set of 3.

$7.99 for three.  

I've had no problem with them.  I've got Hoppes No. 9 in one, full strength Ballistol in the second, diluted Ballistol in the third.

Sinclair International sells poly bottles made for carrying cleaning solvents.    3  4oz bottles I think were under $15     Sinclair caters to target shooters and sells some interesting products.   I bought an adapter for my RCBS Uniflow powder measure that allows a Hodgdon powder bottle to screw on.           GW

Also:   Sinclair is a partner to Brownells        GW

Archived