SASS Wire Forum

Youngsters listen to some old music

First time hearing Jay and the Americans. Ya gotta smile. 

I've noticed that most of the people that make these type videos - they appear to be rap or hip hop appreciators. And they just seem so stunned hearing someone singing. Listening to someone making music with their voice, instead of just making sound.

"I cannot believe that", because the guy has a range of more than four notes.

I enjoy their amazement and introduction to a genre to which they have not been exposed.

19 minutes ago, Dawg Hair, SASS #29557 said:

Wonder how they would react to Beethoven?

I read that some places in NYC and London business owners played classical with the intent of reducing loitering, apparently it worked

51 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I've noticed that most of the people that make these type videos - they appear to be rap or hip hop appreciators. And they just seem so stunned hearing someone singing. Listening to someone making music with their voice, instead of just making sound.

"I cannot believe that", because the guy has a range of more than four notes.

You might want to look up "The Charismatic Voice" 

I love reaction videos.  They are all over Youtube for basically every genre of music.

I blame radio.  It's too specialized and genre specific these days.

Used to be, a Top 40 station played more then the same 40 songs over and over.  It exposed the listener to a wider range of music.

It amazes me what my grandson and his friends listen to. He is 16. They listen to and enjoy music that spans 70 years. One of his favorite singers is Johnny Cash. He can listen to Johnny Cash , the Dirty heads and Green Day songs one right after the other and love them all.

When I was his age I was a Rocker. I paid no attention to music that was older or different.

22 hours ago, Rip Snorter said:

I read that some places in NYC and London business owners played classical with the intent of reducing loitering, apparently it worked

..... I understand that Barry Manilow recordings have similar, and better, results .....  ^_^

1 hour ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

..... I understand that Barry Manilow recordings have similar, and better, results .....  ^_^

Barry and Air Supply (thanks, Australia!) are pretty much interchangeable in something like that.:P

Driving along one day with the Kid, back when he was still in his teens, I turned on the stereo with a Dean Martin CD inserted.

Suddenly I realized that the Kid was singing along with "Ain't That a Hole In the Head..."

Surprised, I looked at 'im and remarked "Hey!  You know this song??"

He looked at ME kinda surprised, and replied "Dad!  It's DEAN MARTIN!  Of COURSE I know his songs!"

As if I wasn't astonished enough, I pulled up to my office building and dashed in to pick up something I'd left on my desk.  It was Saturday, the office was closed, and a workman was installing new flooring.  He had his sixteen-year-old son helping him... and that young man had the same Dean Martin CD playing!  :lol:

I was driving along one day, and I suddenly noticed my early-20s daughter singing along with the radio. I expressed shock, since it was country. Definitely not her music genre of choice.

But she explained that that was not country. That was YOU DON'T HAVE TO CALL ME DARLING.

A few years ago, PC (Pre-Covid), the Glenn Miller band came to Ottawa and SWMBO and I got tickets.

It was a great show for us and at the intermission, I left Sherron in her wheelchair to get us something to drink.

I noticed quite a gaggle of young people outside the door of the venue and the server told me they had come out of another theatre, noticed the Miller sound and stayed around the doors, listening and dancing/moving to the music. They were asking a lot of questions about the sound,

6 minutes ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

I was surprised by all the hippies, granola crunchers and urbanites at the Asleep at the Wheel concert I went to

A favorite and fine group - professional and smooth.  Nothing to not like.

so im thinking of when i was a kid and the music in my home ..............we had a lot of different stuff , there was dixieland , crooners , big band , jazz , gospel , blues and rock , but i didnt get exposed to the classical till i went to college , i tried to give my kids the same exposure but im quite sure i fell somewhat short - both ended up musical tho , they can get the rest when they inherit my cllection of music as i listen to most everything still - not hip hop but i like the older motown stuff 

Archived