SASS Wire Forum

Home Exterior Repair Question

A couple of the 1x4 facer boards on my house are getting pretty shabby and I want to do something before it starts rotting the soffit.  The wood is western cedar and the boards are mostly intact except an apparent flaw in the grain which making the surface cracked and open.   I think a once over with an exterior wood filler would be easiest.  Is there a favored brand?

40 minutes ago, Yellowhouse Sam # 25171 said:

A couple of the 1x4 facer boards on my house are getting pretty shabby and I want to do something before it starts rotting the soffit.  The wood is western cedar and the boards are mostly intact except an apparent flaw in the grain which making the surface cracked and open.   I think a once over with an exterior wood filler would be easiest.  Is there a favored brand?

By "facer boards" are you referring to roof facia?  If so, and depending where you live, they see a lot of moisture, especially if they have drain gutters attached.   Facia are not usually made of 1 x material -- usually at least 2x6 or 2x8.  They need to be properly scraped, filled, primed and painted. 

I like Durham’s Rock Hard water putty.

6CE6A733-0833-4A33-A8B6-762B6D41CB6A.jpeg

Archived